Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st February 2016, 17.25:37   #51-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding member and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
The Prince of Wales Volunteer Fire Brigade (formed 1863)

As per Alistair Williams book "Old Wrexham, a collection of photographs volume 4", this photo is stated as being circa 1875.
The Prince of Wales Volunteer brigade was established in 1863, comprising of 7 members of the Provincial Insurance Company staff, 10 local tradesmen and a number of other volunteers.

Names of photographed firemen are..-
Back row L-R, Fireman Stephens,, Lieutenant Vaughan, Captain Evans, Sergeant Davies, Fireman D. Samuel,
Middle row L-R, Fireman Thompson, Fireman Fisk, Branchman Randles, Branchman Smith, Fireman Jos Lloyd, Branchman A. Davies.
Font row..L-R... Fireman T. Samuel, Branchman Loxham, Engineer Lloyd, and Firemen dog Charlie.....
Old 1st February 2016, 18.02:20   #52-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: Founding players 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
Have located a photograph of Thomas Buchanan Taylor though in later years.
In Alistair Williams 's "Old Wrexham" and Dodd's "History of Wrexham".
Its the Jubilee council photograph in 1907. T B Taylor is seated front row extreme right. In the Dodd's book he is listed as T. Buchanan Taylor.

There are reports on line in the Advertiser of Football club Athletic meetings were Buchanan Taylor appeared to win every race he entered . In the 1860's.
Fantastic news WAL. I had seen reference to the book, but didn't know what the photo's were as I couldn't find an electronic version.
I had read a bit about TB taylor; he does appear to have been a good footballer and sportsman of his time.
Do you have a copy of the photo? It would be good to forward it to Pete Jones for record.
I believe his father John Taylor may have been involved in some way with Wrexham Cricket Club, before he was injured in 1859, and I think TB taylor died in 1911 and was buried in Wrexham.
I am still trying to find the history of Thomas's brother (John)who played in our first ever game, but just keep being drawn down blind alleys at the moment.
Really good news that you found a photo of him though, as photo's seem particularly difficult to find. Hopefully I will soon have a photo of Thomas Broster too.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 1st February 2016 at 18.13:19..
Old 1st February 2016, 18.12:08   #53-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: The sad case of a founding member and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
As per Alistair Williams book "Old Wrexham, a collection of photographs volume 4", this photo is stated as being circa 1875.
The Prince of Wales Volunteer brigade was established in 1863, comprising of 7 members of the Provincial Insurance Company staff, 10 local tradesmen and a number of other volunteers.

Names of photographed firemen are..-
Back row L-R, Fireman Stephens,, Lieutenant Vaughan, Captain Evans, Sergeant Davies, Fireman D. Samuel,
Middle row L-R, Fireman Thompson, Fireman Fisk, Branchman Randles, Branchman Smith, Fireman Jos Lloyd, Branchman A. Davies.
Font row..L-R... Fireman T. Samuel, Branchman Loxham, Engineer Lloyd, and Firemen dog Charlie.....
I forget where I found that photo WAL. Although there are a few copies online. I did see a reference to the date being related to the type of horse drawn engine in the background, which I think said was recent to the founding of the Fire Brigade. Obviously, if the copy comes from the book with the actual names of the volunteers, then the date you specify must be correct.
I will try to find out at a later date if any of the Fire Brigade volunteers in the photos, played for WAFC, although, as I am sure you also find that if you diverge too much from those you are trying to find, then everything tends to become a bit clouded.
Old 7th February 2016, 09.01:51   #54-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Ken Skates involved in trying to bring national football museum to Wrexham.

Why Wales deserves a new national football museum as Coleman's men prepare for France - Wales Online
Old 7th February 2016, 10.46:53   #55-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Currently, and for clarity, I believe that our founding team was as follows (with the histories of 3 team members- Joseph Roberts, G.R. Johnson and John Taylor to be confirmed)

Chairman
Edward Manners
Born Knaresbourough 1830 Died Wrexham 1911

Team

Charles Edward Kershaw (Captain)
Born 1839. Died Southport 1884.

William Tootell
Born Wrexham 1831. died Wrexham 1866

Thomas Henry Sykes
Born Huddersfield 1841. Died Nottingham 1910

Thomas Broster
Born Wrexham 1845. Died Bethlehem, South Africa 1921

Thomas Hanmer
Born Overton 1839. Died Wrexham 1887

Edward Ephraim Knibbs
Born Cheshire 1837. Died Wrexham 1875

Thomas Heath
Born Ramsbury (Wilts) 1824. Died Wycombe 1887.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 7th February 2016 at 10.58:34..
Old 9th February 2016, 19.10:29   #56-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

As far as I am aware the attached image is the first photo anyone has ever seen of any of the 10, recently identified, founding players of Wrexham AFC.
Thomas Broster who emigrated to South Africa
The image (albeit in his later years) was kindly emailed to me by his great, great grandson, Rod, who lives in South Africa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas Broster born1845 died1921.jpg (109.2 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by eastsussexred; 9th February 2016 at 19.16:34..
Old 9th February 2016, 19.48:04   #57-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
As far as I am aware the attached image is the first photo anyone has ever seen of any of the 10, recently identified, founding players of Wrexham AFC.
The image (albeit in his later years) was kindly emailed to me by his great, great grandson, Rod, who lives in South Africa.
That's good work.

Thanks Rod and yourself of course ESR
Old 10th February 2016, 23.36:30   #58-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Due to additional information received from Thomas Broster's great, great grandson, I have updated his details.

In the 1861 census Thomas Broster was listed as a teacher, and in 1867 he was appointed a trustee of The Old Meeting Baptist Church in Wrexham.
By the time of the 1871 census Thomas and his family were living with his father in law, Jonathan Owen, at 28 Lambpitt Street, and his occupation was recorded as a Senior Clerk at the post office.
Thomas and his family emigrated to South Africa aboard The Windsor Castle Steamer from London to The Cape of Good Hope on 23rd October 1874, although an article in The Wrexham Advertiser 31 October 1874 reported that the ship caught fire and had to return to port for repairs.
His family settled in Queenstown where he became the headmaster of an elementary school and where he also founded The Willows Cricket Club.
He would later serve as a member of staff at The Queenstown High School for Boys for 22 years and was made an Honorary Life Vice-President of the Old Boys Association on its inception in 1912.
Thomas’s wife, Harriet died in Queenstown 9th December 1894 and in June 1912, Thomas left Queenstown with his daughter, Gwladys, to live with his son Charles in Bethlehem in The Orange Free State, where he died on 29/06/1921.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 10th February 2016 at 23.43:41..
Old 10th February 2016, 23.46:58   #59-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
He could still do a job upfront now etc etc

Seriously though, great work and wonderful reading !
Old 11th February 2016, 07.56:28   #60-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Thank you Rob. Hopefully, we will soon find the histories of the remaining 3 players and I will then contact the club in order to see if we can have some sort of commemoration, possibly seeking donations on RP for a plaque to be placed at The Racecourse etc...

Last edited by eastsussexred; 11th February 2016 at 08.00:43..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 17.47:25.