Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th January 2021, 18.06:30   #861-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

I have an earlier (pre-digitised) copy of the John Evans map that I had attached on the post above, and it seems obvious to me that the digitised map from the national library is not quite the same as the original copy that I have attached below.
The Evans maps are a series of county maps of Wales that were drawn between 1793 and 1795 and I had previously taken a screenshot of the original map from an online source, which I had to magnify significantly. While the digitised copy of this map on the National Library website is far clearer than my original copy, there are obvious discrepancies between the two and it would seem that the digitised copy has added in little details that were not present on the original map. It is as if the digitising process has added detail to match the rest of the map and therefore added a small section of road, whereas, on the original copy, the road was just a boundary line and a square section where the Turf is now located. I have no idea how the two copies of the map could be different, unless the digitising process has added in new detail.
There is also another map in the National library, dated 1834 https://viewer.library.wales/4997612...41%2C698%2C518
and this map has a boundary line highlighted in the exact area where the road is, and so it seems as if some of the details from this map have been introduced onto the digital version of the earlier map, thereby resulting in the road being drawn into the 1793 map.
None of the other maps, either earlier or later, show a road in this area, although some show a boundary line where the road is drawn, and therefore I think that the road on the map has just been added by some kind of digital software during the digitising process, but in reality, the road wasn’t really there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1793-95.jpg (138.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 15th January 2021, 20.37:44   #862-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
As attached. Wrexham Races on the 'new course' 27/28th March 1739 as advertised in The London Evening Post in January 1739, and the following year a three day meeting from 8/9/10th April 1740.

Y Cae Ras is 'at least' 279 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
In a chapter about ancient racehorses, from a book, which was published in 1845, it had been recorded that a horse called 'Black Chance' had been the winner of one of the races at Wrexham in 1740
To add to this, Black Chance was foaled in 1732 by owner John Hutton of Richmond, Yorkshire and sold to Richard Williams of Cheshire around 1739.
He won a £30 purse at Wrexham in 1740, beating Mr Middleton’s ‘Cato’ and Mr Edwards’s ‘Sober John’.
His racing pedigree and performances were recorded in ‘The Turf Register and Sportsman& Breeder’s Stud Book’ which was published by A Bartholoman, the publisher of The York Herald in 1803.
The stud book was an updated register of three volumes, which were taken from an earlier collection of pedigrees, which had been written and published by William Pick in 1785.
Pick had also published a number of other works, including five volumes of ‘Pick And Johnson’s Racing Calender’ which recorded the pedigrees and performances of British racehorses from 1702 to to 1792.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Chance 1740.jpg (160.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 16th January 2021, 10.50:18   #863-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Fascinating reading - as ever - thank you Mr E!

This one led me to wondering how racehorses would have travelled such distances, in those days? Courses as far-flung as Durham and Winchester are a good day’s march even now!
Old 16th January 2021, 11.51:48   #864-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer600s View Post

This one led me to wondering how racehorses would have travelled such distances, in those days? Courses as far-flung as Durham and Winchester are a good day’s march even now!
I believe there was horse landing stages at wrexham general at one time , I think they were located nearer to were the hotel is now . If you walk from town towards the racecourse on the left hand side you can see the flattened area on the left as you walk over the railway bridge on the hotel side .
Old 16th January 2021, 12.05:07   #865-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Thanks, Sir Crispin but we’re talking of racehorse movement at least 100 years before the advent of railways, I believe?
Old 16th January 2021, 14.22:49   #866-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:

Thanks Fazer.

Prior to 1771, race horses would walk, usually at a pace of around 20 miles a day between race courses and would usually follow a circuit of races around the country. This rate of travel probably determined the dates at which different race-meetings were scheduled; i.e. to give adequate time for the horses to travel between meetings without over-exertion.

There is a website which gives the history of horse transport below
https://www.museumofthehorse.org/a-h...orting-horses/

The site quotes the earliest examples of horse drawn-vans to transport two British racehorses horses- Eclipse in 1771 and Sovereign in 1816.

According to Wikpedia, ‘during his racing career, Eclipse ran over 63 miles and walked 1,400 miles to race meetings across England.

The horse, which had made his owners very wealthy through prize money, slowly began to get worn out, and so the reason why Eclipse was transported by carriage can be found here.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...horse-gambling

The carriage was again revived in 1816, when a Mr Territt, who had previously used carts, or caravans to send bullocks to market, started to use the same caravan to send one of his horses ‘Sovereign’ to race meetings. But on the suggestion of his trainer, the base of the carriage was removed and springs were added, while the inside of the caravan was also padded. The carriage was drawn by three strong horses- two at the back and one at the front, in what was known as a unicorn team. The team traveled at a rate of forty miles a day, which was twice the rate that a racehorse would walk while traveling to races.
The same trainer later worked for the Earl of Lichfield and he convinced the Earl to build a caravan to convey his racehorse ‘Elis’ to Doncaster . This trailer was constructed to accommodate two horses and served as a kind of narrow, two-stalled stable on wheels, which was pulled by four horses with a seat for two people at the front.
It was later recorded that ‘one caravan traveled 95 miles in 11 hours and 35 minutes, thus conveying the horse to its destination in less than one fourth of the time which would have been required had he walked’.
Most of this information was recorded in ‘The Pictorial Gallery of English Racehorses’ which was published in 1850. I have attached a sketch of a caravan from that book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Racehorse caravan published 1850.jpg (107.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by eastsussex; 16th January 2021 at 14.34:52..
Old 16th January 2021, 14.54:48   #867-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Thanks, Sir Crispin but we’re talking of racehorse movement at least 100 years before the advent of railways, I believe?
Ah sorry yes , the station was constructed in the 1840’s during the so called railway mania.
Old 16th January 2021, 15.07:37   #868-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Wow! Yet again, Mr E, I stand amazed at your grasp of the source of historical information!

The casual reader of this thread might, justifiably I suppose, suggest that I could have found it for myself but I had no idea where to start!

Many thanks for your instant encyclopaedic response!

Impressive distances and times - and how they all kept in touch is still a source of wonderment to me in these days of instant communication! In the 50’s, when I left home, it took a week to write for and receive any family news - and there wasn’t even a postal system 200 years earlier!

......or was there? Maybe I should look....!

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.17:35.