Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th May 2017, 21.47:38   #64-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Nine Acre "Legends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwilliams View Post
Ruabon were a strong soccer school no doubt! I am currently on holiday in Tenby but I will provide evidence in a few days time!
GP always had a high opinion of their football skills but they sometimes avoided playing some other schools with stronger teams in the late 60's

They won top of the form ya know and one of the team members became a Lord He never won an election although he did try a good few times. Nothing like getting into the Westminster bubble via the backdoor !

btw Ruabon were always the tougher opposition helped by a pitch perched on top of a mountain
Old 12th May 2017, 08.45:49   #65-0 (permalink)
-

(info)

Racecourse Spot: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2309 View Post
Was Colin Green a pupil same era?
I'm sure he was a GP pupil. A bit ahead of me, though I was in the same year group as his younger brother.....whose 1st name escapes me for the moment as he suffered from the "famous relative" syndrome and was always referred to as "Colin Greens little brother".
Old 12th May 2017, 08.55:41   #66-0 (permalink)
-

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
GP always had a high opinion of their football skills but they sometimes avoided playing some other schools with stronger teams in the late 60's

They won top of the form ya know and one of the team members became a Lord He never won an election although he did try a good few times. Nothing like getting into the Westminster bubble via the backdoor !

btw Ruabon were always the tougher opposition helped by a pitch perched on top of a mountain
The main winter sport at Grove Park was always Rugby Union and I remember the first term PE lessons were all RU. Association Football, whilst not discouraged, was certainly 2nd fiddle.
At the time (late 60's, early 70's) the school produced the backbone of Wrexham Rugby Clubs successes, when they were a fairly efficient team in the NW, playing the likes of Birkenhead Park, Fylde, Sale etc, in pre league days.
Thats my recolection anyway, though I agree also that Ruabon Grammar had very good football teams.
Old 12th May 2017, 08.57:20   #67-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: A long way to be at WXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrobinman View Post
I'm sure he was a GP pupil. A bit ahead of me, though I was in the same year group as his younger brother.....whose 1st name escapes me for the moment as he suffered from the "famous relative" syndrome and was always referred to as "Colin Greens little brother".
Colin's brother was Geoff Green who was in the same class as me at one stage.

I played football with Geoff(Colin coached for a short time too in 76 - 77 Black Lion Bersham ( Still have the pic at home).

With reference to Terry Hennessey, I caught up with Terry in Melbourne a few years back and he was still in contact with Colin then.
Old 12th May 2017, 09.09:18   #68-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given

Grove Park football team of the mid 80's took some beating.

Dave Jones, Shaun Edwards, Nigel Dodd, Pete Jones, Dave Bloor etc......

Surprised none of that team actually made it although a few went to the likes of Aston Villa after leaving school.

Rugby on the Nine acre in January was always an experience with Brian 'squeeky' Watkins who was actually a sound chap.

Rugby was never cancelled whatever the weather.Walking back up Chester road with your school shirt still open as your fingers were that cold you had no feeling in them to do up the buttons.lol....happy days.
Old 12th May 2017, 11.27:34   #69-0 (permalink)
-

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOSTYLLEN IN ADELAIDE View Post
Colin's brother was Geoff Green who was in the same class as me at one stage.

I played football with Geoff(Colin coached for a short time too in 76 - 77 Black Lion Bersham ( Still have the pic at home).

With reference to Terry Hennessey, I caught up with Terry in Melbourne a few years back and he was still in contact with Colin then.
Yes, Geoff. Thanks for the jolt.
We must have been in the same schol year.
Old 12th May 2017, 11.40:39   #70-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

There a few legendary piles of sandy material dumped on the nine acre at the moment. Get your buckets and spades ready kids.
Old 17th May 2017, 09.10:20   #71-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
There a few legendary piles of sandy material dumped on the nine acre at the moment. Get your buckets and spades ready kids.
On a more serious note,it could be a great opportunity for the kids to watch the team train,bang in town.
Old 17th May 2017, 11.18:23   #72-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Sand is now spread with seed and perhaps some fertiliser (Extra seed for the Starlings of Rhosddu). The pitches should soon get back to the standard of the 1970's when Clwyd CC playing filed staff looked after it.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.28:55.