Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th May 2017, 11.44:44   #21-0 (permalink)
-

Not Set Click To Change

(info)

Racecourse Spot: -
Twitter: @

Default Re: Wrexham in Portugal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimbledone View Post
That stadium was built for the Euros, not sure who has use of it now. Interesting to see who the opposition would be.
I'm not sure they will be playing at the Estadio do Algarve. Unless things have changed recently, there are currently no Professional Clubs using it as a home venue. I thought I read somewhere that the game would be played at the Albufeira Municipal Stadium?

A Portuguese I spoke to a couple of years ago said the Estadio do Algarve was now nothing more than a huge White Elephant, costing the region something like €10,000 a day to maintain. He wasnt impressed that it was even built as he said no-one wanted to take it on afterwards.

Farense and Olhao have used it occasionally since the Euros in 2004.
Portimonense used it too for about half a season a few years ago while their Stadium was being developed.
I also think Gibraltar played their first Euro Champs game there, but thats about it. Sad really because it's a nice venue.
Old 10th May 2017, 11.59:50   #22-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Paddock

Where dose it say on there, the date of the game, venue & opponent ?
Old 10th May 2017, 12.00:29   #23-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbobisback View Post
Game is on July 11th. No opponents announced yet. Game will be played in Villamora on the Algarve
Posted via mobile theme
Ok, cheers
Old 10th May 2017, 12.10:05   #24-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Wouldn't be surprised if the training base is at Vale do Lobo, just down the road from Vila moura, been there a few times on holiday, there's quite a few football pitches there, looks a decent training facility, used to go to a gym there called Barringtons and noticed a load of team pictures on the walls that have trained there, Liverpool and United to name 2, in fact that where Bellamy had his 'spat' with John Arne Riise.
Old 10th May 2017, 12.17:28   #25-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeside_dragon View Post
Where dose it say on there, the date of the game, venue & opponent ?
The game is at the local Sports Hall. They've entered a five a side tournament.

Dunn in goal, Carrington, Smith, Rutherford (if he actually signs), Keates making a comeback and Geraint on the bench.
Old 10th May 2017, 12.21:28   #26-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn Tirion View Post
The game is at the local Sports Hall. They've entered a five a side tournament.

Dunn in goal, Carrington, Smith, Rutherford (if he actually signs), Keates making a comeback and Geraint on the bench.
Yeah that's what i'm worried about. And why I haven't booked anything yet.
It could well turn out to be another T&T farce !
Old 10th May 2017, 13.45:49   #27-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrobinman View Post
I'm not sure they will be playing at the Estadio do Algarve. Unless things have changed recently, there are currently no Professional Clubs using it as a home venue. I thought I read somewhere that the game would be played at the Albufeira Municipal Stadium?

A Portuguese I spoke to a couple of years ago said the Estadio do Algarve was now nothing more than a huge White Elephant, costing the region something like €10,000 a day to maintain. He wasnt impressed that it was even built as he said no-one wanted to take it on afterwards.

Farense and Olhao have used it occasionally since the Euros in 2004.
Portimonense used it too for about half a season a few years ago while their Stadium was being developed.
I also think Gibraltar played their first Euro Champs game there, but thats about it. Sad really because it's a nice venue.

Mate lives out there who I visit twice a year and lives 20 mins from Estadio do Algarve and this was built for Euros and this only, went to a few games that year and its a great stadium the Greeks v Spain was a great atmosphere. There is a small stadium which ive walked past in Vilamoura a few times which is the standard of perhaps your average Welsh Premier status perhaps in might be there, im guessing it maybe the municipal stadium in Albufeira which is similar status, anyway eight of us staying in Quarteira not bothered not far to both.
Old 10th May 2017, 15.47:58   #28-0 (permalink)
-

Not Set Click To Change

(info)

Racecourse Spot: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by allred View Post
Mate lives out there who I visit twice a year and lives 20 mins from Estadio do Algarve and this was built for Euros and this only, went to a few games that year and its a great stadium the Greeks v Spain was a great atmosphere. There is a small stadium which ive walked past in Vilamoura a few times which is the standard of perhaps your average Welsh Premier status perhaps in might be there, im guessing it maybe the municipal stadium in Albufeira which is similar status, anyway eight of us staying in Quarteira not bothered not far to both.
Yeah, it seems such a pity, not to mention a waste of money/resources to build it for what?........ 3 Euro Champs matches?
Similar to what's happened in Brazil with their Olympic venues.
Wherever the game is played, as you say it will be easy to get to and a good time will be had by all.
I'm off to Portimao/Alvor in 3 weeks.....booked it before Wrexhams tour was announced, otherwise would have jumped on the Bandwagon
Old 10th May 2017, 16.20:35   #29-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Thats were my mate lives Alvor lovely resort

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2017, 16.33:18   #30-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS

If you like bars with "available girls" check out cats bar just off from the marina....if like me and your just window shopping the beers cheapish and kept at a nice temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.03:13.