RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Team who finish 7th qualify for the play offs next year, apparently (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109713-team-who-finish-7th-qualify-play-offs-next-year-apparently.html)

KT12 Exile 11th May 2017 19.43:50

Re: Team who finish 7th qualify for the play offs next year, apparently

[QUOTE=draigwrecsam;2025501]Been doing that for 3 years in the RP Chess League! :D[/QUOTE]
We've always been ahead of the times!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Back of the Kop 11th May 2017 20.02:52

Kind of feels right to extend the play off line to 7th

This I think is the correct compromise as there will only be 2 promotion places for the foreseeable but at least the top 7 teams are now in with a chance as they do in League 2 even though the play offs for us will be a 1 in 6 chance rather than 1 in 4.

Make the best of a crap situation.

Will be very hard on the team finishing 2nd if they are beaten in the final by the team finishing 7th. .........ouch !

APJ 11th May 2017 20.47:55

[QUOTE=owain94;2025450]Ridiculous idea. It was bad enough the 4th placed team going up during our 98 point season, never mind the 7th![/QUOTE]

While play-offs exist at all, this kind of thing can happen. We are unfortunate, as far as I know, to be the highest points total team not to be promoted in any league in the top 5 tier in British football history. If I am mistaken, please put me right on this. That is why we must always aim to win it. Anyway, I think the new proposed system is not so bad because it does not punish teams who just missed out anymore than before, since they are straight into the semi final - it just makes it harder for those finishing lower down as they have an extra game to play.

However, my preferred option for play-offs would be:
Game 1: 4th v5th (4th at home, one leg match)
Game 2 : Winner game 1 vs 3rd (3rd at home, one leg match)
Game 3 : Winner game 2 vs runner-up (Wembley)

In other words, runner-up is straight into final, 3rd is straight into semi, 4th and 5th need to win 3 games.

It wont happen because part of the play-off appeal is more games at the end of the season, but I think this above is good because it directly rewards each final league position, which is not the case currently.

HugoMontenegro 11th May 2017 20.50:03

gives lower clubs in table a chance and lengthens the season for Vanarama
but only 2 of 7 clubs go up

Better would be 1st 2nd go up automatic
6th play 3rd over 2 legs
5th play 4th over 2 legs
winner of above semis play in a wembley final

Welsh Kiwi 11th May 2017 20.53:35

[QUOTE=HugoMontenegro;2025562]gives lower clubs in table a chance and lengthens the season for Vanarama

6th play 3rd over 2 legs
5th play 4th over 2 legs
winner of above semis play in a wembley final[/QUOTE]

Perfect. Agreed.

cynprifathro 11th May 2017 21.29:49

The best way out is to finish top of the league!

wilbobisback 11th May 2017 21.49:00

[QUOTE=HugoMontenegro;2025562]gives lower clubs in table a chance and lengthens the season for Vanarama

6th play 3rd over 2 legs
5th play 4th over 2 legs
winner of above semis play in a Wembley final[/QUOTE]

Can't see league teams agreeing to an extra promotion place unfortunately. A compromise could be
3rd v 6th
4th v 5th
Winners of each tie play each other then the winner of that plays 3rd from bottom in league 2 at Wembley, winner plays in L2 the following season & loser in National league. They may just agree if they get another shot at staying up.

smotyns 11th May 2017 21.56:07

6th play 3rd over 2 legs
5th play 4th over 2 legs
winner of above semis play in a wembley final[/QUOTE]

The league will never vote for 3 relegation spots; 2 up, 2 down it is and so it shall remain. The possibility of increasing the number of teams in the play offs is an attempt to keep the interest in more of the late season games. Partly a cynical attempt to keep the viewing figures up for games towards the fag end of the season. But could be a positive for mid table teams who might be enticed to push for the results that may nick the last play off spot. The further down the league that the possibility of making the play offs goes the greater the chances of more teams, and so more games, having a some interest after Easter. Would we have given up at 50 points if there had been another play off spot?

basdragon 11th May 2017 23.22:15

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2025431]Why can't my brain process this?[/QUOTE]

Too busy panicking about a whole two weeks having passed since the end of the season and no LoW or relegated players signed on yet. :jester::D

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.34:47.