RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   3 Year expectations? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109736-3-year-expectations.html)

benwilliams 16th May 2017 13.33:23

Re: 3 Year expectations?

If the playoffs ate getting revamped to involve top 7 teams (not seen official confirmation of that) then in my view we will have failed if we don't make the top 7 next season.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Todd Sweeney 16th May 2017 13.42:38

[QUOTE=benwilliams;2027783]If the playoffs ate getting revamped to involve top 7 teams (not seen official confirmation of that) then in my view we will have failed if we don't make the top 7 next season.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

If it happens then I agree - whilst in this league a minimum top 7 finish every season has to be our aim.

We should do this whilst off the field seeking to balance the books, expand our income streams and build the fanbase, particularly amongst the potential next generation of fans. Perhaps we could look at revamping club membership and see what other potential benefits we could give to members.

Ultimately though, as shown by Lincoln, plans and mission statements aren't reliable in football. We just need one good season where everything clicks. This happened to them and they got promoted, had an amazing FA Cup run, raised millions of £ and doubled their average crowd.

pricey 16th May 2017 13.48:51

Season 1: promotion as unbeaten champions a la TNS.

Season 2: promotion via playoffs to L1. Quarter final cup run.

Season 3: let's not put them under too much pressure yet!
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

DoomandGloom 16th May 2017 13.54:55

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2027792]If it happens then I agree - whilst in this league a minimum top 7 finish every season has to be our aim.

We should do this whilst off the field seeking to balance the books, expand our income streams and build the fanbase, particularly amongst the potential next generation of fans. Perhaps we could look at revamping club membership and see what other potential benefits we could give to members.

Ultimately though, as shown by Lincoln, plans and mission statements aren't reliable in football. We just need one good season where everything clicks. This happened to them and they got promoted, had an amazing FA Cup run, raised millions of £ and doubled their average crowd.[/QUOTE]

Quick questions, how will you achieve the middle bit? How do you know Lincoln had no plan or mission statement? (incidentally, read their directors comments and that's exactly what they did, prepared plans)

Todd Sweeney 16th May 2017 14.05:21

[QUOTE=DoomandGloom;2027798]Quick questions, how will you achieve the middle bit? How do you know Lincoln had no plan or mission statement? (incidentally, read their directors comments and that's exactly what they did, prepared plans)[/QUOTE]

Well we already are working on the middle bit - my racecourse, balancing the books, building the commercial side..

Lincoln spent years down here in the doldrums, with crowds of 2,000 odd until they got the right manager. Mission statements are all well and good, but really most things in football are down to luck as well as good judgement (and money of course). That's what makes it exciting.

DoomandGloom 16th May 2017 14.12:13

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2027802]Well we already are working on the middle bit - my racecourse, balancing the books, building the commercial side..

Lincoln spent years down here in the doldrums, with crowds of 2,000 odd until they got the right manager. Mission statements are all well and good, but really most things in football are down to luck as well as good judgement (and money of course). That's what makes it exciting.[/QUOTE]

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

SteveWAFC 16th May 2017 14.38:58

I can't see last season being part of Lincoln's apparent plan to be honest. They gave the job to a manager stepping into his first full time role. It's no different to us appointing Wilkin and I can't believe that we really expected him to do it in his first season, the same as I can't imagine Lincoln expected Cowley to do it.
He made managing a full time team look easy though. He made sure they all knew their roles and the players were fully behind him. When that happens, you can do anything in this league.
Even when the team wasn't in control or playing their usual game, they still made it hard and ugly for the opposition. That's what they did when they came to the Racecourse.
He made strong signings too. The spine of Raggett, Woodyard and Arnold (helped by funds raised by their fans) was key to their success. He made sure that he had goals throughout the team, including the defenders with Raggett and Habergham scoring a few, and that's what you need when your strikers aren't firing, other team members who are a goal threat and can pull you out of a hole.
They started the season pretty average I think, but then they started to pick up a few wins on the trot, the team gained confidence and a play off push quickly turned into a title challenge.
You don't need massive amounts of quality to get out of this league, you don't even need the best coach/manager, you just need a team and manager that are all motivated for the same goal and will fight and give their all every game to try and achieve that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pagl 16th May 2017 14.47:18

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2027802]Well we already are working on the middle bit - my racecourse, balancing the books, building the commercial side..

Lincoln spent years down here in the doldrums, with crowds of 2,000 odd until they got the right manager. Mission statements are all well and good, but really most things in football are down to luck as well as good judgement (and money of course). That's what makes it exciting.[/QUOTE]

How about growing the membership base and initiatives on this.

Are all ST holders WST members - does anyone even know?

How are we dealing with lapsed members and how do we 're-patriate' them?

questions, questions.

Omni 16th May 2017 14.54:16

[QUOTE=pagl;2027821][B]How about growing the membership base and initiatives on this.[/B]

Are all ST holders WST members - does anyone even know?

How are we dealing with lapsed members and how do we 're-patriate' them?

questions, questions.[/QUOTE]

I asked about this at the club AGM as since we've been under the WST I've never once been asked whether I'm a member or would like to join. Geoff mentioned that they were reviewing the database of lapsed members and will be contacting them in due course but I still think we need to be far more proactive in gaining new members.

Also think we should be offering some type of reward or benefit for joining via standing order as this saves a lot of administration regarding renewals.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 20.32:13.