RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   European Memories (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109828-european-memories.html)

redtalk 2nd June 2017 09.45:24

European Memories

As someone who was too young, or not even born during our European exploits, I was wondering, if supporters of a more mature age might want to share their fond memories!:D

There are some cracking youtube videos of our games against the likes of anderlecht, real zaragoza, Porto and Roma.

There is a full 90 min video of the Roma match on youtube, and fascinating to watch . It looked a terrible night weatherwise, not helped by a very fussy ref it seems who delayed the game for the pitch to be re painted to his exact specifications!

The Zaragoza 2nd leg seemed to have a terrific atmosphere, and going on the highlights, we should have won it!

griffin 2nd June 2017 10.07:26

Re: European Memories

The Zaragoza 2nd leg seemed to have a terrific atmosphere, and going on the highlights, we should have won it![/QUOTE]

Genuinely gutted that night thought we should have won it with the chances we made.

Welsh Kiwi 2nd June 2017 10.08:07

This has the potential to be an amazing thread if you can collate everyones memories.

My most distinct are going to the Anderlecht, Porto and Roma home games.

The lads who made it overseas will have some amazing stories to share.

The Anderlecht home game is still my greatest ever memory of supporting Wrexham. When Stuart Lee scored the ground erupted. We were also just enterting into our club period of sexy football, with our all red adidas strip. The first time we had worn adidas. And all red. The pitch was muddy, Billy Ashcroft was a colossus that night. Anderlecht made an offer to Wrexham buy him after that match and they had 2 world cup winners in their squad.

World cup winner Bruno Conti wearing black tights for Roma and standing on the wing freezing his nuts off at the Cae Ras was also another fine memory!

wxmdoug 2nd June 2017 10.19:42

first European game against Zurich Albert Kinsey scoring the goal

it is bloody amazing what us older fans have seen over the years watching wrexham fc

i still cannot believe i actually seen with my own eyes top European teams given a tough game against us.

and unbelievably it was part of the norm to welcome these teams to the racecourse,

oh how times has changed !!!!

Apathetic 2nd June 2017 10.44:06

I was a young lad walking up the steep hill up the back of the kop for the Zurich game with my dad. Fond memories of the European games. I still have my Anderlecht home programme which Brian Lloyd signed for me in the car park before the game.

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 2nd June 2017 11.39:37

I remember sitting on the wall adjoining the pitch at the Zurich game. Mold Road side.
When we beat Porto the whole world of European football stopped and took note.

petered 2nd June 2017 11.48:41

Anderlecht had the silky type kit. First time I'd seen this rather cool material. We had the cittin type material. Then along came adidas. Ahhh....thank you.

Willywill 2nd June 2017 11.49:52

I do remember going to the Rijeka away game, drinking too much that night and the following day, rather ill on the bus back to the airport. Everyone singing the Travilta hit to me - "you're the vomit I want". Also, walking around Brussels in March 1975 - I had never seen so many Porsches! Having a pee in a Portacabin whilst waiting to get through checkpoint charlie on route to Magdeburg. A border guard was aiming his machine gun at our heels.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Inside Left 2nd June 2017 12.00:50

My first experience of European football at The Racecourse was watching Borough United (Llandudno) If my memory serves me right the Racecourse was packed for that small clubs venture into Europe.
Having witnesses most Euro games at The Racecourse the best has to be the Quarter Final home leg against the mighty Anderlecht. Can the club ever reach such heights again? Never say never.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 20.29:09.