Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th June 2017, 18.10:47   #55-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road,
Twitter: @

Default Re: All our yesterdays- great ex players

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROBBO View Post
The one man nobody has mentioned from that great 70's side, Mel Sutton. He made Wrexhams midfield. No frills but he never wasted a ball and brought the best out of the flair players. You don't need a team of fancy Dans just a balance and he provided it.

Mel was the reason Bobby Shinton reached the heights he did at Wrexham.
Old 19th June 2017, 18.51:56   #56-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

One who preceded Mel Sutton, or to certain extent played the Sutton role in the 69/70 Promotion team was Bobby Park, got injured when we were in the 3rd and never the same after.
Old 19th June 2017, 19.05:04   #57-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: on the subs bench
Twitter: @WXM

albert Kinsey steve ingle kevin keelan whynne davies ian moir ken barnes ron barnes gary Bennett Dixie I could go on n on
Old 19th June 2017, 19.27:02   #58-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: MRS Near Kop end

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
For those who recall him , how good was Wyn Davies when he played for Wrexham, it was a bit before my time, though I remember him for Newcastle and Wales late 60's.
Was it evident he was going to go on to better things
I was very young, and the game has changed, but I think WD is still the best centre forward in the air I can remember in my long time of watching WFC....Billy Ashcroft being probably the nearest to coming close.....

Remember being shocked when I first saw his replacement Ernie Phyphian...Much smaller, and not an aerial type of player..... But probably more skillful on the floor.....
Old 19th June 2017, 19.55:48   #59-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand town end

Mr Bennett will take some beating. His pace and direct approach were a joy to watch. The number of penalties he got just running at people and turning them inside out.

In the old Wrexham teams of my youth, Weston, Macmillan, Kinsey, Smith and Moir. Others worth a mention, Tinnion and Provan. All good players.
Old 19th June 2017, 20.02:21   #60-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Steve Fox not mentioned in 6 pages. How can that be ?
Old 19th June 2017, 20.02:53   #61-0 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexham's Patrick Bateman View Post
I was very young, and the game has changed, but I think WD is still the best centre forward in the air I can remember in my long time of watching WFC....Billy Ashcroft being probably the nearest to coming close.....

Remember being shocked when I first saw his replacement Ernie Phyphian...Much smaller, and not an aerial type of player..... But probably more skillful on the floor.....
Ray Smith or Billy Ashcroft as 2nd best to Wyn the Leap in the air.
Looking back think Ray Smith was more potent in the air.
Though not at Annfield foe one of his best ever goal from a header, was at Old Trafford for one of his best attempts, , headed it down and Stepney made a great save.

Someone who mentioned one of our underated hero's Gareth Davis, will throw another one in the pot (yes the Man Utd game above jogged my memory) Micky Evans.....kept George Best quite that night !!!!!
Another unsung hero...
Old 19th June 2017, 20.09:25   #62-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

It's all a personal choice so I can agree with everybody!

My own would be; Arfon Griffiths MBE
Gary Bennett
Kevin Keelan
and the pair of Mickey Thomas and Joey Jones
Old 19th June 2017, 20.13:40   #63-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale Paddock

Sammy Mc Millan, Steve Stacey, Eddie May, Gareth Davis, Andy Marriott, Andy Holt, Billy Ashcroft, Graham Whittle, Carlos Edwards, Ferguson, Kevin Russell, Lee Trundle, Albert Kinsey - jumping around a bit there, but my all-time favourites would be Benno, King Karl, and Bobby Shinton

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.25:56.