RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Tickets for Troops (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109913-tickets-troops.html)

Parry52 21st June 2017 09.34:49

Tickets for Troops

Has anyone ever heard of this? There's a website that offer free tickets to the armed forces for certain events. My brother is in the armed forces and told me about this yesterday. Chester and Crewe are really good apparently and offer free tickets quite regularly, he has not seen Wrexham offer anything though.

Could this be something that benefits the club? We usually have 4,000 seats unfilled each week and could be good publicity of the club.

Sorry if it shouldn't be a new thread, I couldn't think where else to put it.

Cress 21st June 2017 09.48:11

Re: Tickets for Troops

Yeah it's pretty good at times. However at £19 a ticket, it isn't exactly expensive and is very much affordable. I left last year, but had Wrexham offered free tickets I'd have still paid to watch as all our ticket sales are vital income.

If Wrexham Barracks was still an active base rather than a reservist base, it could be a good idea, but I can't see that many taking up the free tickets. If anything I'd prefer free tickets for the underprivileged if we were to do any such scheme.

SE19 Exile 21st June 2017 09.48:58

Difficult one this.
While I acknowledge the role they play, which is certainly something I couldn't do, I don't think we should offer free tickets to them just because they're in the Forces. It's a career choice, they get paid (although like many not enough), and I have a real aversion to going down the modern day American influenced route of arse-kissing serving personnel.
I'd like to see us offer deals that gets bums on seats, but for everyone.

Diggle 21st June 2017 10.05:13

[QUOTE=SE19 Exile;2041751]Difficult one this.
While I acknowledge the role they play, which is certainly something I couldn't do, I don't think we should offer free tickets to them just because they're in the Forces. It's a career choice, they get paid (although like many not enough), and I have a real aversion to going down the modern day American influenced route of arse-kissing serving personnel.
I'd like to see us offer deals that gets bums on seats, but for everyone.[/QUOTE]

This

eastsussexred 21st June 2017 10.08:26

[QUOTE=Parry52;2041742]Has anyone ever heard of this? There's a website that offer free tickets to the armed forces for certain events. My brother is in the armed forces and told me about this yesterday. Chester and Crewe are really good apparently and offer free tickets quite regularly, he has not seen Wrexham offer anything though.

Could this be something that benefits the club? We usually have 4,000 seats unfilled each week and could be good publicity of the club.

Sorry if it shouldn't be a new thread, I couldn't think where else to put it.[/QUOTE]

I had suggested the same about 18 months ago, but those serving responded by saying that they would not take up the offer, prefering to pay for entrance, as the club needs the money.
I do believe though that we should retain our connection with the armed forces, without which, our club would never even have been formed in the first place.

dlrwrexham 21st June 2017 10.12:49

I'd like to see us offer deals that gets bums on seats, but for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Every word of this!.:(

redavid 21st June 2017 10.19:35

[QUOTE=Parry52;2041742]Has anyone ever heard of this? There's a website that offer free tickets to the armed forces for certain events. My brother is in the armed forces and told me about this yesterday. Chester and Crewe are really good apparently and offer free tickets quite regularly, he has not seen Wrexham offer anything though.

Sorry if it shouldn't be a new thread, I couldn't think where else to put it.[/QUOTE]

No one doubts the job the armed Forces do however where do you draw the line ? what about Nurses Doctors Police Fire Fighters etc. All do a great Job , I know we knock the police at times but cant be easy at times for them to .

Red Light 21st June 2017 10.21:48

Agreed - where do you draw the line ? should we also offer tickets to members of the emergency services too ? there may be other suggestions ?

Perhaps an Armed Services day - free entry offer to all troops on the nearest home fixture to Remembrance Day - not sure if this or something similar has actually happened previously.

noisy1 21st June 2017 13.33:03

[QUOTE=Cress;2041750]Yeah it's pretty good at times. However at £19 a ticket, it isn't exactly expensive and is very much affordable. I left last year, but had Wrexham offered free tickets I'd have still paid to watch as all our ticket sales are vital income.

If Wrexham Barracks was still an active base rather than a reservist base, it could be a good idea, but I can't see that many taking up the free tickets. If anything I'd prefer free tickets for the underprivileged if we were to do any such scheme.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely with this, having served myself I would be too embarrassed to claim anything like free tickets. I never joined up for handouts and I would think the majority of service personnel feel the same.

Give free tickets to primary school kids if your going to give them to anyone. A few years ago, whilst living in Hampshire I got to watch Reading twice at the Madjeski Stadium because my lad received a ticket through his school. He really wanted to go and I had to buy a ticket so that I could take him.
It wasn't as if they were meaningless games either, both against teams vying for the playoffs (like Reading at the time).

ruthinred 21st June 2017 13.43:27

brilliant idea

the armed forces put their lives on the line for us

Help the Heroes

ruthinred 21st June 2017 13.44:33

mods

can we make this thread a sticky please

Royal welsh red 21st June 2017 13.47:24

I currently serve and have used tickets for troops for various things. But I would not use it for a wrexham game, purely because I would prefer the club had the money.

And in all honesty, I don't think it would encourage any more to attend. I serve in a Welsh regiment and sadly the amount of Wrexham fans there is a very small number. Mostly filled with united, Liverpool,Everton etc.

As said above, be better going to local schools and trying to encourage some future fans for the club.

Kiddy Dragon 21st June 2017 13.57:18

Like some of the old codgers on here, myself included, many of us were taken to the Racecourse as young kids.
Its like maleria once bitten by the bug its with you for life.

Omni 21st June 2017 15.20:01

Whilst this is a noble cause, the thing that stops most people from going is not the cost, rather the quality of football on offer. One of the ways we can improve this is to increase attendances with regularly paying fans.

So perhaps this would work better if it was done as a one off for the first game of the season, if we do well, they might come again but this time pay, if we don't, there's not a great deal lost.

Dougie Davies 21st June 2017 15.33:38

I agree. Where do we draw the line? Police? Nurses? Looks like a few ex service in this thread wouldn't accept freebies anyway.

Inside Left 21st June 2017 15.57:39

I do know that Hereford have done this usually for the local unit yet Plymouth didn't.

89Leader 21st June 2017 16.16:47

[QUOTE=Red Light;2041762]Agreed - where do you draw the line ? should we also offer tickets to members of the emergency services too ? there may be other suggestions ?

Perhaps an Armed Services day - free entry offer to all troops on the nearest home fixture to Remembrance Day - not sure if this or something similar has actually happened previously.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe boxing day. If they are on leave at the time it would be a good way to spend time with family. Provided we are playing well of course

Foxy 21st June 2017 16.28:21

What the club should do is try to build community by giving discounted tickets to non UK citizens. Wrexham has a significantly changing demographic and it would be in our long term interests to try and build support amongst newcomers to the town from other countries. I see from the news that there are a few local teams trying to foster this community dynamic (eg Bellevue FC). It might be an idea to build bridges with these teams and the community, for example by donating kits or discounting tickets,

Vorporix 21st June 2017 16.44:43

I'm ex military and remain pro the military.

However, its a no to free tickets from me.

crazywelsh 21st June 2017 16.45:54

The tickets are usually from clubs who have spare seats, it fills the ground but it's abit weird at first going to watch a team that isn't yours. I used to go to preston midweek games when based in fulwood barracks and 2bh it weren't the same as watching wrexham.

I would of preferred to still pay and discounts etc isn't as bad as I know apple give a decent one if you buy a product, phone companies like 02 give 30% off, dominos 50% off etc.

I could keep going with those but one thing is our club needs a rule everyone pays, there is no middle line and it stands for everything.

dlrwrexham 21st June 2017 19.32:39

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2041822]brilliant idea

Help the Heroes[/QUOTE]

I'll choose my own heroes,thanks!.:31:

Gaz Wxm 21st June 2017 19.51:01

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2041822]brilliant idea

Help the Heroes[/QUOTE]

the armed forces arn't the only ones who put there lives on the line serving their country/community.....

there are other equally worthy organisations that carry out their role with out recognition.

stmartinsred 21st June 2017 20.04:15

I run a veterans breakfast club in Wrexham, and every now and then we have vets that have hit on hard times, it would be nice to give them something like this for an afternoon out keeping them local and something to look forward to.

Griffo 21st June 2017 20.05:31

I am not being disrespectful to any of our servicemen or woman but there are heroes and heroines all around us. They go unseen and unheard every day and night. There is no way any lower league club could dole out free tickets. What could be done is give all our heroes and heroines a particular match for collections etc if this is already done then we'll done.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

GarryOggy 21st June 2017 20.16:36

[QUOTE=stmartinsred;2041925]I run a veterans breakfast club in Wrexham, and every now and then we have vets that have hit on hard times, it would be nice to give them something like this for an afternoon out keeping them local and something to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

Last season would have been a particularly poor experience for any neutral.

Junior Shabadoo 21st June 2017 20.55:00

[QUOTE=Red Light;2041762]Agreed - where do you draw the line ? should we also offer tickets to members of the emergency services too ? there may be other suggestions ?

Perhaps an Armed Services day - free entry offer to all troops on the nearest home fixture to Remembrance Day - not sure if this or something similar has actually happened previously.[/QUOTE]

Where do you draw the line? With the right planning, nowhere. Identify (or encourage applications from) a school, a sports club, and a community group for a load of free or cheap tickets per game, and change those groups each week to prevent whingers grumbling about people getting in free too often.

Prodigal Dragon 22nd June 2017 07.53:44

Just out of interest, does the club already give out complementary tickets? And, if so, which groups benefit?

As a retired serviceman, I would expect to pay my own way, but others are less fortunate and should be considered. However, IMHO, our efforts should be concentrated on the young kids who, one day, can also argue whether their heroes from celebrity shows and pop music should benefit from free admission to the Racecourse.

PS My heroes - Leonard Cheshire, Keith Park and Jimmy Stewart - would all have acknowledge the kind offer but insisted they pay their way, too!:)

ugarte007 22nd June 2017 10.49:06

Id have no problem with it.

RED2309 22nd June 2017 11.33:20

[QUOTE=stmartinsred;2041925]I run a veterans breakfast club in Wrexham, and every now and then we have vets that have hit on hard times, it would be nice to give them something like this for an afternoon out keeping them local and something to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

This is a better idea altogether and I think if you approached the club they would be amenable to it.

Perhaps when a box is not in use you could go as a group.

Nobby 22nd June 2017 12.21:48

I concur

stmartinsred 22nd June 2017 18.47:11

Good idea and those of us that can afford could put towards covering costs

Quay Red 22nd June 2017 19.22:56

As a community club, why not dedicate one game in a season to honour the role of the emergency services.
Give 10 tickets to each of the police, armed forces, fire service, ambulance and NHS staff in the Maelor.

Birdy 22nd June 2017 19.45:31

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2042200]As a community club, why not dedicate one game in a season to honour the role of the emergency services.
Give 10 tickets to each of the police, armed forces, fire service, ambulance and NHS staff in the Maelor.[/QUOTE]

This is the best idea.

Junior Shabadoo 22nd June 2017 20.08:40

[QUOTE=Birdy;2042211]This is the best idea.[/QUOTE]

Given how many empty seats we have and how many people those services employ, make it 100 tickets each and it has more point.

eastsussexred 22nd June 2017 20.43:18

[QUOTE=stmartinsred;2042183]Good idea and those of us that can afford could put towards covering costs[/QUOTE]

I dont mind donating to this stmartinsred. Please pm me if anything gets off the ground.

Parry52 23rd June 2017 19.14:23

I think it'd be a great idea to offer to the community. Could we offer tickets to the community? Offer different schools free tickets to a match and hope the youngsters will take Wrexham as their club, they'll be the ones buying the season tickets in 10/15 years.

Even if no one takes up the tickets on tickets for the troops offering it is good PR for the club. We understandably have to draw the line somewhere but the ground is half empty for most matches, why not fill those by offering tickets for free to good causes? Higher attendances makes a better atmosphere, gets more eyes on our product and hopefully a good experience that they'd like to pay for in the future.

blackbrookred 23rd June 2017 19.35:04

[QUOTE=[Removed User];2042738]Depends very much on how many we offer and the impact. Offering 100 free tickets impacts little in theory but if it triggers a need for extra stewarding etc. then it's not so straightforward.[/QUOTE]
I would imagine we have a similar number of stewards there for most home games as we never really know how big the crowd is. We would also be in control of the extra numbers so not really an issue. Good idea for me.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.53:39.