Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th June 2017, 22.01:27   #55-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Keates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
Twenty plus years of listening to moany fans blather on about what the club should have done six months ago tells me that. Plus there being not a scrap of complaint about Mills' terrible methods when the team won compared to fans finally analysing this when the team was losing shows that many fans only go route one, winning creates messiahs and losing means every decision to get there must be wrong. We're giving Keates time and that might mean waiting for success - you reckon if Mills had gone to Tranmere while we did this would have been greeted with anything but "no ambition"? Afraid not.
Posted via mobile theme
The board appointed Mills to milk the cash cow, he was the fans top choice after all, Tranmere rejected him due to them doing some background research.

Mills record in the league is woeful, which should have been questioned if not set alarm bells ringing.

Anyhow, we now have someone willing to put the effort in and things look much better now.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo; 28th June 2017 at 22.03:22..
Old 28th June 2017, 22.33:53   #56-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2044711]

Alan - I was referring to two things. One was the endless parade of fans who believe it has to be "this season" every bloody season or the manager must go or at least be under pressure/change tactics/formation/ditch his favourites etc. The other was the way that filters through the club.

Wilkin was sacked after taking us to Wembley and making a bad tactical error. Don't get me wrong there were clearly a lot of other things wrong at that time but he'd already built a squad with huge promise and it's sobering to wonder where we'd be now if him and Darlington had stayed. I'm sure someone can find my posts from when Mills was mooted onwards that it was not the moment for change and Mills record was wholly deceptive.
I've never suggested it has to be this season with regards to Keates. In fact, I've historically been a supporter of our managers. What I am saying is "why not?". Lincoln DID do it from nowhere. They finished 13th the previous season. We finished 8th with 8 points more.

Furthermore, the season Cambridge were promoted via the playoffs (finished 2nd to Luton), they finished 14th the previous season.

I'm not relying on these facts. I won't be disappointed if we're not promoted this coming season (depending on circumstances). However, if we have a good start, if we stay in contention, if we have luck with injuries and results, why not. Major ifs, I know. Considering 2-7 make the playoffs, I'll be disappointed if our squad isn't aiming for this.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 28th June 2017, 22.41:21   #57-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo View Post
The board appointed Mills to milk the cash cow, he was the fans top choice after all, Tranmere rejected him due to them doing some background research.

Mills record in the league is woeful, which should have been questioned if not set alarm bells ringing.

Anyhow, we now have someone willing to put the effort in and things look much better now.
Mills was up against Brabin for the Tranmere job and saw his backside because he wasn't their first choice.
Old 29th June 2017, 03.23:36   #58-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
;2044750]I wasn't actually referring to you specifically Alan, but anyway..

Lincoln did their research and appointed the right manager(s).
Cambridge expected to go up as they did a huge amount of well documented prep. You're right of course it could be us. I just think our average age doesn't fit the profile of teams who go up and we need an awful lot of other ducks in a row. I also suspect we'll have our worst start for a long while before we settle down.
Was Lincoln's appointment of Danny Cowley any different to us appointing Wilkin? On paper, both had steered their clubs to top of the Conference finishes. I'm sure had Wilkin stayed with Nuneaton the season we appointed him, they'd have reached the playoffs instead of drastically falling away.

Is the average age of this squad any higher than Fleetwood's of 2013? Or Luton's? It's not as if we're carrying blokes in their mid 30s. Keates has recruited lads 26-31 with Kelly being the oldest. I wouldn't be too adverse to us signing a striker who's in his early 30s though.
Old 29th June 2017, 07.50:25   #59-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Inspiring photo of squad jogging along canal tow path.....
"Leading from the front"
Old 29th June 2017, 08.25:18   #60-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: MRS, ex-kopite

Quote:

Cambridge expected to go up as they did a huge amount of well documented prep. You're right of course it could be us. I just think our average age doesn't fit the profile of teams who go up and we need an awful lot of other ducks in a row. I also suspect we'll have our worst start for a long while before we settle down.
I am actually thinking we will have a steady start. And probably be steady all season, not enough for the title but enough to keep up with play off pace.

Of course, the start may depend on how the fixtures fall.
Old 30th June 2017, 17.47:38   #61-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end

Quote:

I'm puzzled as to why you think we'll have one of our worst starts for a long time when you consider the calibre of players we've signed? I know they'll need time to gel but I still can't work that one out Mike.

I'm not convinced Dunn's quite good enough if I'm honest.
Old 30th June 2017, 18.18:03   #62-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Teams do need time to gel but we've got a lot of players who know each other or have played with each other before. That should help.
Old 1st July 2017, 06.26:40   #63-0 (permalink)
Trialist

Racecourse Spot: Tech End

I'm optimistic that they'll settle in together very quickly because I get the feeling that Keates is recruiting on personality as well as talent etc. I reckon he is very good at reading people. Looking at the signings so far, he's building a whole package and avoiding egos etc. It's why I think he wouldn't go for Rhead.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.05:04.