Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th July 2017, 22.03:28   #19-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: The Bell End
Twitter: @

Default Re: Warrington game reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Yeah that wasn't my take at all. The only negative for me was the attack particularly in the first half.

I also took into account it being a pre season friiendly and the fact we were playing on a meadow

Opinions eh?
Did the other team play on a different pitch? Can't really worry about the pitch at the end of the day we are two leagues above them. I had some mates who once played against Charlie Nicolas and Mark Hughes on a beech, they still got hammered by them on sand.
Old 18th July 2017, 22.06:59   #20-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf View Post
I'm sorry but Real Madrid would have looked shit on that pathetic excuse of a pitch. It was embarrassingly bad.

Pluses for me, Boden is quality and will hopefully only get better.

Smith and pearson will be a great duo.
Wedgebury & Wright will become very good together.
Kelly ooses class.

Downsides, hurst is good in the tackle but feck me his distribution is dig awful that's got
To improve.

Need another live wire striker to support Boden.

Finally the pitch was dreadful.
Yes grass ...ha ... was so long and dry that the players boots were sinking below the surface. Crap ground but brilliant chippy across the road and good bars and you could have a pint and watch match.
Old 18th July 2017, 22.09:32   #21-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman View Post
Did the other team play on a different pitch? Can't really worry about the pitch at the end of the day we are two leagues above them. I had some mates who once played against Charlie Nicolas and Mark Hughes on a beech, they still got hammered by them on sand.
Well we were comfortably better than Warrington in every area of the pitch. So not sure what your point is
Old 18th July 2017, 22.18:34   #22-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: none given

Unfortunately there are lots of bad pitches in our league...we cant use that as an excuse...if so we need horses for courses type of team
Old 18th July 2017, 22.27:00   #23-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

The pitch was the worst I've ever seen.Undulating, bone dry and grass longer than for the rugby.It was shit for both teams but particularly us as we play it on the floor.

Defence looks OK and will get better.

Midfield has options, really like Leo Smith.He's got a big future.

Upfront looks a problem.Boden is good, Massanka is OK back up as is Holroyd.Gime is not the answer.Let him go.

We need a quality striker with Boden to challenge for the top places.If we sit on our hands we finish 9th/10th.
Old 18th July 2017, 22.31:09   #24-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Genuine question for those that went....is Gime better than any of our youth squad?? If answer is yes then fair enough, if not then why pay more for a backup player as he's clearly not in the first three at present (Holmroyd and Boden top two with Massanka a raw backup third/pace option). Still thinking that James Jennings could do a job up top if necessary. Would want more from another striker (other than Gime) on what I've seen so far personally especially if he costs dollar (but if it were me might start with what we have if it meant getting better bang for our buck through waiting a bit!).
Old 18th July 2017, 22.32:02   #25-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mold road trendy View Post
Unfortunately there are lots of bad pitches in our league...we cant use that as an excuse...if so we need horses for courses type of team
I'm sorry but I played on better pitches in school during the 80s than that.

It was a shocker
Old 18th July 2017, 22.35:52   #26-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Lurking in the sewers
Twitter: @Alida Valli

Not great but it was more useful game time. But disjointed. Carrington isn't a left back and don't think Hurst is a right back either. Not blaming the pitch but it was both long yet brown, maybe they feared cutting it or they'd kill it completely. Holroyd missed a sitter but did eventually score. Undecided about Jimmy. He is strong and provides something different. But twice he took a touch when well placed and the chance was gone. I'd have given him the full 90. We know what Massanka can do. Bowden looked the real deal and so briefly did Kelly when more central. Very acceptable chippy.
Old 18th July 2017, 22.55:54   #27-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Wrexham started in their familiar red and white strip - Mackreth was missing from the team sheet with a minor strain. We started with Gime and Holroyd up front and Hurst at right back with Dunn returning in goal. The playing surface was poor, the pitch was poorly cut, dry, hard and uneven.

Early on Jennings sustained what appeared to be a minor injury and was replaced by Akil Wright who moved into midfield with Carrington moving to the left back position.

First half we had a number of good chances - after about 15 minutes following a mistake in the Warrington defence Holroyd had a free run on goal and a one on one he failed to convert - the Warrington keeper making the save.

Akil Wright made a fantastic run through the Warrington half eventually pulling back to Gime who’s shot was saved. Holroyd also had a good volley from the edge of the box which was well saved but he wasn’t to be denied and as half time approached following a cross from the right flank by Hurst opened the scoring to give us a half time lead.

Second half continued in the same pattern - we had lots of possession against a stubborn gritty Warrington side.

Part way through the half the strikeforce was changed - Boden and Massanka replacing the ineffective Gime and Holroyd. After a few minutes Boden latched onto the ball and put a lovely shot high into the net.

Late on Rutherford was replaced by Leo Smith.

Dunn had not been troubled all match and had not had a save to made - Wrexham gained a corner and from it, Warrington broke forward fast against an outnumbered rearguard - the Warrington striker cutting in from the left flank and putting a cross shot across Dunn into the far corner to gain Warrington a consolation.

Final score Warrington Town 1 Wrexham 2
Attendance 547 (majority from Wrexham)

My man of the match - Pearson was awesome in the centre of defence.
Wedgebury was everywhere in the midfield and at times linked well with Kelly and Wright.
If I had to select a pair of strikers to start the first league game it would currently be Boden & Holroyd with Massanka in third place - Gime is down the pecking order and seems to need one or two touches too many before shooting by which time the opportunity is lost.
Right back continues to concern me - Hurst repeatedly played hoofball in the first half but I thought had a better game in the second. Carrington had significant possession first half on the left flank but to win games someone has to take responsibility and move the ball forward - unfortunately Carra only goes sideways or backwards.
Up front we need more firepower - Gime is not the answer (and I’ve seen him in 4 pre season matches now) - a tall target man is needed - and quickly.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.47:35.