Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th July 2017, 08.29:44   #37-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2051396]Holroyd - clever and mobile but patently not a finisher. Also looks to me as though his legs are starting to go as he was far too easy to shut out of the game
Mobile but his legs have gone, interesting analysis.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 19th July 2017, 08.48:50   #38-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Warrington game reaction

Good analysis Mike but is disagree with the "their legs have gone " comments. I don't think Kelly has ever been known for blistering pace he have one or two moments when he burst through to space with well times runs and in the end phase when he'd moved to a more central position and was more involved he was still looking fresh and moving well. Compare him to Anthony Barry last season , now there is a player who's legs have gone.
Old 19th July 2017, 08.50:29   #39-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2051396]Pitch - slight slope. Grass looked long but wasn't so bad when you looked at it close up. One goalmouth seemed to have a baby camel buried under it and we defended that one first half. Bigger issue was the pitch was relatively hard and uneven. Playing a ball on the floor always resulted in a bobble up. The pitch was also small which posed its own challenges. Did level things up slightly.

Opposition - two or three very good players and they were well organised and competitive throughout without creating much until the second half. One or two who didn't think it was a friendly.

Dibble - watched him warm up and still think there is a Belford issue on his left side. He collapses rather than dives. Watch his left knee in the videos.

Dunn - could barely kick over the halfway line on a small pitch. Took too many chances kicking out on that pitch and nearly cost us a goal twice. Otherwise, he's okay but nothing special.

Hirst - think he's an attacking full back more than a full back. Repeatedly clears with his head down and not looking, which explains the distribution issue raised earlier. Overlaps nicely but doesn't use the space when he has it. Runs to the defender and loses any advantage and sometimes the ball. This specifically started the move which cost us their goal. Disappointed with him.

Jennings - started positively but carelessly. Wasn't a surprise when he injured himself. His loss created several issues. We were instantly lopsided and lacked an outlet on the left. Moving Carra to left back showed our versatility but also our limitations.

Pearson - excellent in all respects. A commanding talker. Very impressed.

Manny - put all his manifest strengths and weaknesses on display. Came out and repeatedly went to ground instead of standing his man. Exposed the back four in a way better teams could exploit.

Rutherford - always full of energy and almost always found his man, but, wasn't especially progressive and like Carra he often ended or re-started moves rather than continuing them. Didn't play badly but made us look pedestrian.

Wedgebury - good talker but forced backwards after Jennings went off and didn't play especially well or ever look comfortable.

Kelly - I think he may turn out to be a mistake. The ball is clearly his friend but he shirked tackles and his chasing back was token. It wasn't that he didn't. Looked to me like his legs are starting to go. He tried to chase back and was repeatedly out paced. Looked better as the game opened up. He sought to take advantage of it but he wasn't responsible for it.

Holroyd - clever and mobile but patently not a finisher. Also looks to me as though his legs are starting to go as he was far too easy to shut out of the game.

Triallist - couldn't win the ball and was isolated because of Holroyd being taken out of it and our general ploddiness. Clearly isn't going to cope with being pressed in the NL and, whilst he has a nice touch, it's just that. Nothing powerful or predatory. He's basically a placeholder until Keates gets his man.

Wright - didn't look comfortable from the off with the lack of space and width. Some poor distribution and positioning mixed with some great tackling. Suspect he'll look better with Mackreth back and Leo alongside him as proved the case late on.

Leo - Looked stronger and more alert to the speed of the game. Didn't see enough but very much liked what I saw. Made a stronger case than Kelly in a much shorter time.

Massanka - we're trying to play to his strengths and it's showing. Strong, fast and powerful. Clearly worried them the moment he came on and his determination won Boden the chance to score the 2nd. I now see him as starting ahead of Holroyd. He and Boden carry our only real threat.

Boden - player. End of. Lovely touch and movement. Real awareness and a predatory instinct. Great finish too. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Very much had the sense tonight was about experimenting with certain tactics and pairings. All came a bit undone with Jennings self-inflicted departure so we were a tad unfortunate in that respect. Also had the sense that the first half team was a second string defensive tactic being tried out. Back 4 was very well protected but once the ball was in the box we struggled. Lots of attacking possession and calmness and a deserved lead but not especially inspiring.

The intro of Smith, Boden and Massanka made us look much better but more vulnerable to the counter and so it proved. Lucky it didn't finish 2-2. Given how many talkers we have I thought we were extraordinarily quiet bar Pearson and Wedgebury.

So, a scrappy but interesting workout that raised more questions than answers for me. Are we a better squad than last season? Definitely. A better team? Not necessarily.

Bar two more signings I think we're looking 13th to maybe 8th if we have few injuries or suspensions.

On to Nantwich.
A real glass half empty review.Agree with a few comments but you're generally very negative.

I wouldn't want you leading me into battle."Shoot yourselves now fellas, you're rubbish and you're going to get killed anyway"

Cheer up ffs
Old 19th July 2017, 08.52:53   #40-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Keates said "obviously, as you said" within 1.2 seconds of the interview, a personal record for him. Bodes well going forward.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 19th July 2017, 09.00:46   #41-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post
Keates said "obviously, as you said" within 1.2 seconds of the interview, a personal record for him. Bodes well going forward.
Posted via mobile theme
verbal tic perhaps? many people say certain phrases, which have no real meaning or sense. Don't condemn the fella based on this!

I don't think i have seen a player interview, where they don't scratch their ear!

Last edited by redtalk; 19th July 2017 at 09.05:10..
Old 19th July 2017, 09.13:07   #42-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Well that's my guarded pre-season optimism (for a change) completely crushed in one morning

I suppose at least we've still got a club to support.
Old 19th July 2017, 09.17:58   #43-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtalk View Post
verbal tic perhaps? many people say certain phrases, which have no real meaning or sense. Don't condemn the fella based on this!

I don't think i have seen a player interview, where they don't scratch their ear!
Count the times Keates says "obviously" or "as you said" in an interview, if it was a drinking game you'd be smashed!

We are grinding games out it seems, on poor pitches, but urgh
Old 19th July 2017, 09.52:58   #44-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Sounds like the pre-season optimism bubble has burst for a few now

Its still only pre-season and lets not forget these players are National league for a reason and one of them is consistency.

DK seems to have addressed some major concerns with the CBs and also decent signings all round and we are all expecting far better quality this season.

Whether DK has got it all right and every player works out isn't likely but its early days as regards this team and this management but lets face it we all think its going to be a far better season and whether that is 8th or above remains to be seen.
Old 19th July 2017, 11.36:11   #45-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot: GUS

I suppose the optimism has come because it looks like we are doing it the right way this season, but this means nothing until we put it right out on the pitch come the first of August. Even then it may take a while to get into a rhythm.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 02.17:06.