Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th July 2017, 20.27:38   #1-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft
Twitter: @

Default Control

I've noticed a very important difference between this squad and last seasons, and its the ability to exert control. Last year our horrible weakness was the midfield. Looking at the players we've signed and watching them play we can have periods in matches when we can now keep and recover the ball.

I haven't had my socks knocked off by any of the new signings when watching them, but I think they are all very good (not convinced with Hurst yet). Last season Barry was a shocking disappointment and Rooney was just annoying. Kelly looks like a passer with some life left in him.

I think everyone whose watched pre-season will feel a bit rueful about the loss of White, but in the Chorley game a mobile front two started to make sense. They drop deep, spin, and Kelly, Jennings, Mackreth, L.Smith and Rutherford have the ability to find them again. It hasn't worked much yet, it's very difficult to pull off, but...it might just work.

I've given up hope after Keates's last interview that we will sign a striker whose better than anything we've got already, but I'm hoping we'll make the new-size playoffs with what we've got.
Old 30th July 2017, 21.39:18   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold road or behind goal

Default Re: Control

What I like about the new squad is there is some proper footballers in there. Kelly looks quality on the ball
Old 31st July 2017, 10.15:56   #3-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

Our midfield is amongst the best in the league. Our defence is the best in the league. Squad depth doesn't matter too much when you have a lot of versatility within the squad like we have, so now it's all about getting that top striker. We won't mount a title challenge without one but we should finish comfortably within the play offs.
Old 31st July 2017, 11.40:29   #4-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by owain94 View Post
Our midfield is amongst the best in the league. Our defence is the best in the league. Squad depth doesn't matter too much when you have a lot of versatility within the squad like we have, so now it's all about getting that top striker. We won't mount a title challenge without one but we should finish comfortably within the play offs.
I'm sorry but it does.. If you pick up 4/5 injuries esp to key players and you are replacing them with players that "can do a job" in that position, you will soon realise strength in depth for each position is vital in this league & any league.

With a squad of 18 players plus kids, you are playing a dangerous game.. esp when you got to teams with big bruisers throughout their team and try & kick you off the park.

Lincoln managed to do it last season with a fairly small squad but replaced injured players with good loan signings from Peterborough (x2) & Gillingham.. I'm pretty sure there isn't money to replicate such signings here.
Old 31st July 2017, 11.47:10   #5-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc82 View Post
I'm sorry but it does.. If you pick up 4/5 injuries esp to key players and you are replacing them with players that "can do a job" in that position, you will soon realise strength in depth for each position is vital in this league & any league.

With a squad of 18 players plus kids, you are playing a dangerous game.. esp when you got to teams with big bruisers throughout their team and try & kick you off the park.

Lincoln managed to do it last season with a fairly small squad but replaced injured players with good loan signings from Peterborough (x2) & Gillingham.. I'm pretty sure there isn't money to replicate such signings here.
When you say "here" do you mean at Wrexham or at Tranmere - you're a Tranmere supporter aren't you?
Old 31st July 2017, 12.41:15   #6-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sweeney View Post
When you say "here" do you mean at Wrexham or at Tranmere - you're a Tranmere supporter aren't you?
That's what I thought!
There is scope to bring in loan signings as always.

Plus with Build the Budget it's not a one off, there will be things coming in over the next few weeks and months with possibility of another boost around January time.
Old 31st July 2017, 12.50:55   #7-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

The implementation of the gps system will hopefully assist in preventing injuries this season. But, we can always dip into the loan system and as mentioned already, some of the squad can slot into different positions. I'd rather money spent on quality as opposed to quantity.
Old 31st July 2017, 14.45:09   #8-0 (permalink)

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:

To be fair, Keates has impressed me with his contacts and I trust he will be able to bring in a couple of replacements if the worst happens
Old 31st July 2017, 14.53:38   #9-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Build the budget is ongoing and if we need to loan players in, we'll be able to. We recently had a bid turned down for a striker so we're not exactly skint.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 17.42:52.