Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th September 2017, 09.16:33   #1-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft
Twitter: @

Default Philosophical Sunday

Two takes on the same thing:

1.This a terrific start to the season. The new squad has settled into a robust winning machine. Most team's we come up against simply cannot penetrate the well-drilled defence, the opposition's discipline and energy levels fade in the second half and we can capitalise. We are looking very very good for the playoffs.

2.This team plays dreadful football and there is little hope of things improving. The defensive unit, apart from Jennings is incapable of providing a solid platform for attacks ,so the wingers get ropey and late passes they can't control. The alternative is a hoof to our strikers who can't play with their backs to goal. Wedgbury and Wright or great tacklers but virtually never contribute to attacks with any quality. Our greatest attacking threat comes from a mistake by the opposition.

I agree with both of these statements and it makes me ponder on why I watch football.

My favourite recent spell of games was when we were winning under Mills with Moke strolling majestically around the centre of the park. That was a passing phase (no pun intended) and I think if I focus my mind on getting into the league, I can just about stand the bumpy ride.
Old 10th September 2017, 09.19:10   #2-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Philosophical Sunday

What's the point of this thread? We aren't just your self help group you know.
Old 10th September 2017, 09.31:06   #3-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

I think were talking a few tweaks here and there that could and would make the difference between a sustained challenge and one that has too many ups and downs and causes concern.

Yes defensively we have been so much better albeit at the expense of creativity particularly from midfield.

The left hand side is a particular problem and DK needs to assert his authority here - 5 bookings in 9 games isn't unlucky it shows a underlying attitude problem.
I am disappointed with Kelly and also Leo hasn't managed to make any improvement.

Up front we are inconsistent still require some physicality and strength and I still think Rhys Murphy could be an option.

Its quite a change to be talking small margins here rather than last years mess.
Old 10th September 2017, 10.02:45   #4-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
I think were talking a few tweaks here and there that could and would make the difference between a sustained challenge and one that has too many ups and downs and causes concern.

Yes defensively we have been so much better albeit at the expense of creativity particularly from midfield.

The left hand side is a particular problem and DK needs to assert his authority here - 5 bookings in 9 games isn't unlucky it shows a underlying attitude problem.
I am disappointed with Kelly and also Leo hasn't managed to make any improvement.

Up front we are inconsistent still require some physicality and strength and I still think Rhys Murphy could be an option.

Its quite a change to be talking small margins here rather than last years mess.
Or, frankly, the year before's mess, which was more entertaining than useful.

When it comes to analysis of individuals I'm starting to think it's a waste of time. There seems to be a clear focus on the unit and the personal ambitions of at least a couple of players have been shelved in every single team Keates has picked. I haven't been remotely disappointed with any players because every time I've left a game with a gripe there has always been a mitigating circumstance to a player's performance. With the two you've picked out it's obvious that neither will put their ability on show in a midfield four but both are professional enough to do a job for the team. The same applies to someone like Boden who hasn't been given a scrap of quality ball whenever he has played. The real question needs to be about whether we ought to put some of the team's clear caution on ice in order to offer more goal threat; if we lose games that question becomes pertinent, but if we continue to pick up points at the rate we have then we'll just carry on.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 10th September 2017, 10.20:40   #5-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post

But....if we play like this all season, with no change don't you think we'll reach the playoffs, I do.

I don't think we've shown up and downs, we've played badly but effectively every game (when we haven't been in a winning position, then I admit we've started looking a bit better). I agree about the left, but Jennings has played some fantastic balls into the box.
Old 10th September 2017, 10.22:08   #6-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

I think one thing that we can all agree on is that teams that get out this league are never spectacular. They usually do the dirty work well and have someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net. Having a rock solid defence gives us a real platform to build on so with perhaps a bit more of a progressive approach at times we will improve our attacking options. I don't think we are that far off so with a bit of luck and maybe one or 2 fresh faces including the striker and a creative player with a bit of Quality, we may be on target. I'm more optimistic this season!!

Redvest
Old 10th September 2017, 10.52:22   #7-0 (permalink)
LWR
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congy Red View Post
Two takes on the same thing:

1.This a terrific start to the season. The new squad has settled into a robust winning machine. Most team's we come up against simply cannot penetrate the well-drilled defence, the opposition's discipline and energy levels fade in the second half and we can capitalise. We are looking very very good for the playoffs.

2.This team plays dreadful football and there is little hope of things improving. The defensive unit, apart from Jennings is incapable of providing a solid platform for attacks ,so the wingers get ropey and late passes they can't control. The alternative is a hoof to our strikers who can't play with their backs to goal. Wedgbury and Wright or great tacklers but virtually never contribute to attacks with any quality. Our greatest attacking threat comes from a mistake by the opposition.

I agree with both of these statements and it makes me ponder on why I watch football.

My favourite recent spell of games was when we were winning under Mills with Moke strolling majestically around the centre of the park. That was a passing phase (no pun intended) and I think if I focus my mind on getting into the league, I can just about stand the bumpy ride.
Sounds like a receipe for winning the playoffs.
Old 10th September 2017, 11.16:20   #8-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Two years ago we played Cheltenham away. It was on TV. We bossed the game playing most of the pretty football but still lost 2-0 or 2-1. A C'ham fan after the game said he thought we'd seen the champions to be and it wasn't them. They played direct football with a well organised team and as we now know the fan was right but he picked the wrong team. I'm happy with the ways things are going though still have issues with midfield and attack. But organisation not flair get clubs out of this league. It's not rocket philosophy.
Old 10th September 2017, 11.27:39   #9-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

As others have said, for me I think any expectation of seeing pretty and/or perfect football from a Wrexham team has to be put out of our thoughts ....

This league is the bottom level for pro's in this country, they are going to make mistakes at times, and they aren't going to be worldbeaters....if they were, they'd be playing in a higher division

All we can do is exactly what Keates and co are doing.... get that solid foundation of a sound enough defence, and a steady keeper, and build from there. Become hard to beat. I think we have cracked it at the back, by and large. We won't always manage shutouts....look at Liverpool, every defence has off days (although theirs yesterday was a selection surprise too!)....but it looks like most times we are going to be doing ok at the back.

It's about being well organised, disciplined (and yes Jennings needs to check his moaning maybe), and trying to get a settled side too. We appear to have the makings of a settled squad now, and with cover up front and elsewhere.

As has been said, we all know, and the management team too, that as well as defences winning titles, strikers win games, ideally we would have both. But we don't quite have that up front, we don't have bags of goals in us.

What we do have though is honest endeavour. All the players are working hard and trying to improve, we look reasonably well organised, and I think that when we do regress to hoofball, maybe at least some of that is positive, get the ball clear of danger, up into their half and then push on. It's not pretty, and it isn't the basis for good football, but sometimes it's necessary. Football purists won't agree, but as I said we don't have a League One squad. Sometimes we have to be untidy, clear our lines, etc.

Let's hope we continue our solid start to the season, we are working hard, fairly well organised, and hopefully as time goes on we will click more and more up front. Reid for the time he is here is great. Massanka is capable of some good stuff as we saw with his recent double, and always works hard. Boden maybe just needs games now to get his eye in. And holroyd I am sure will do well once he regains match fitness.

I guess there will be bumps in the road, and we will grumble, but we need to stick together. I am no happy clapper, but am trying to gag myself if I feel like being a mold road moaner which I freely admit I often have been! A nervous My Racecourse does spill out onto the pitch, it's hard at times I know to keep encouraging the players after so many years of disappointment, but that's the part that we all have to play each match day, in addition to the brilliant contributions and financial support from us fans.

Fingers crossed for another win on Tuesday. COYR.

Last edited by WrexSi; 10th September 2017 at 11.29:20..
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.23:03.