RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Keates isn't the man to take us forward. (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110440-keates-isnt-man-take-us-forward.html)

moynkeepthefaith 18th September 2017 21.52:22

Re: Keates isn't the man to take us forward.

[QUOTE=Birdy;2072284]Disagree, some of the football that we played under Mills at the start of his reign was light years ahead of what we are witnessing at the moment. The fact that this tailed off was Mills downfall and his lack of professionalism. But to say what we are seeing atm is way better than Mills' team is not entirely true.[/QUOTE]

I feel that we did not tail off under mills. I believe we got found out, did not have a plan B and he lost the dressing room. I do agree that the football at the beginning was better but what I like currently is though it may be turgid at times we look very hard to beat and if we can find the spark from midfield and up front we have a real chance. That may sound like a gross simplification but I firmly believe that a team confident in its ability to at least draw is a much better starting point than one that fears defeat week in week out.

John Neals Dynasty 18th September 2017 22.17:00

[QUOTE=owain94;2072263]*can't. ;)[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. 😈
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Old Paddock Man 18th September 2017 23.06:11

[QUOTE=Foxy;2072292]I see you have had the usual reception. One poster dredging up the Moss years and another questioning your spelling. It's a clique , and whenever anyone questions them they circle the wagons. Self preservation first, Wrexham FC second.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to preserve Sir. I'm beyond preservation. Anyone who expresses an opinion as "fact" about anything is asking to have their leg pulled. (Should have added a smiley for the avoidance of doubt). Gently of course without resorting to abuse. Unless he genuinely can see into the future. If so I'd propose him for the board. Be a handy skill to have.

My opinion (it's not fact) is that we just aren't an attractive proposition to an outside "investor" whatever an investor in an asset less non league club looks like. But if enough members think otherwise they could start a campaign (much easier to do in the modern age) and make putting the club (or part of it) up for sale official club policy. And see what happens. There is nothing to stop them. Or you. Can't see it working myself but there again I'm no clairvoyant.

Hope I've not misspelt anything 😊

EnglishRed 19th September 2017 06.48:49

[QUOTE=Birdy;2072284]Disagree, some of the football that we played under Mills at the start of his reign was light years ahead of what we are witnessing at the moment. The fact that this tailed off was Mills downfall and his lack of professionalism. But to say what we are seeing atm is way better than Mills' team is not entirely true.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that Mills team (apart from Mills himself and his approach to training and professionalism as we found out) was that once teams worked us out his system didn't work. Agree that those first eight games or so we're fantastic to watch though.

I'd like to see us go back to the type of football we were playing under Morrell (with Saunders team) we could be a so dominant when I went played well. Although thats probably not realistic !

NottsRed 19th September 2017 07.37:00

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2072308]I feel that we did not tail off under mills. I believe we got found out, did not have a plan B and he lost the dressing room. I do agree that the football at the beginning was better but what I like currently is though it may be turgid at times we look very hard to beat and if we can find the spark from midfield and up front we have a real chance. That may sound like a gross simplification but I firmly believe that a team confident in its ability to at least draw is a much better starting point than one that fears defeat week in week out.[/QUOTE]

Problem is though if we lose any of our central defensive pairing then I think we will be in trouble. Agree about the spark in Midfield but at present that isn't going to happen with Keates tactics and that also comes back to a lack of Plan B yet again.

If Keates Saturday starts with Wright in midfield and only one defensive midfield with Reid & Massanka upfront we will have a decent chance of really putting the boot into Tranmere. Start with last Saturdays line up and the best we can hope for is a point.

pagl 19th September 2017 08.16:34

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2072336]The problem with that Mills team (apart from Mills himself and his approach to training and professionalism as we found out) was that once teams worked us out his system didn't work. Agree that those first eight games or so we're fantastic to watch though.

I'd like to see us go back to the type of football we were playing under Morrell (with Saunders team) we could be a so dominant when I went played well. Although thats probably not realistic ![/QUOTE]

We would need a least 3 or 4 different players to get back to the style under AM. We were blessed with Harris/Keates midfield duo for most of that time and the reality of the current midfield is ball retention is very poor.
Wedgbury has escaped a lot of criticism because of his work rate and his position as the holding player however his passing ability is quite limited and he is very ponderous on the ball. As I have said on another thread then Keates really needs to find his 'midfield general' that he is going to build around for the next 2 years.

Then up front we need our 'Danny Wright' type player and someone that can hold the ball up and has the strength to compete with the opposition CBs. The current forward line is very lightweight and does not put enough pressure on the opposition defence - regardless of the quality of service.

Keates has improved the squad and team during the close season but now just needs to add a couple of finishing touches so we can push on.

After that then come January he will need to make some calls on a few players that really have failed to make a stake for a place and I just don't see them being good enough to take us forward. For me then better to push them out on loan and use the money to bring 1 better player in.

Bigmike 19th September 2017 08.20:29

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2072308]I feel that we did not tail off under mills. I believe we got found out, did not have a plan B and he lost the dressing room. I do agree that the football at the beginning was better but what I like currently is though it may be turgid at times we look very hard to beat and if we can find the spark from midfield and up front we have a real chance. That may sound like a gross simplification but I firmly believe that a team confident in its ability to at least draw is a much better starting point than one that fears defeat week in week out.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that

Alan Attack 19th September 2017 08.33:52

[QUOTE=Foxy;2072292]I see you have had the usual reception. One poster dredging up the Moss years and another questioning your spelling. It's a clique , and whenever anyone questions them they circle the wagons. Self preservation first, Wrexham FC second.[/QUOTE]

Hang on a minute foxy. If you kindly read his initial comment, "dredging up the Moss years" has relevance.

moldroadred 19th September 2017 08.38:36

[QUOTE=pagl;2072342]We would need a least 3 or 4 different players to get back to the style under AM. We were blessed with Harris/Keates midfield duo for most of that time and the reality of the current midfield is ball retention is very poor.
[B]Wedgbury has escaped a lot of criticism because of his work rate and his position as the holding player however his passing ability is quite limited and he is very ponderous on the all. As I have said on another thread then Keates really needs to find his 'midfield general' that he is going to build around for the next 2 years.[/B]

Then up front we need our 'Danny Wright' type player and someone that can hold the ball up and has the strength to compete with the opposition CBs. The current forward line is very lightweight and does not put enough pressure on the opposition defence - regardless of the quality of service.

Keates has improved the squad and team during the close season but now just needs to add a couple of finishing touches so we can push on.

After that then come January he will need to make some calls on a few players that really have failed to make a stake for a place and I just don't see them being good enough to take us forward. For me then better to push them out on loan and use the money to bring 1 better player in.[/QUOTE]

I did post on another thread that I was disappointed with Wedgbury, I was expecting a lot more. Can't fault the effort but as you say his passing is poor and he is not a player who can control a game by putting his foot on the ball, bulls and china shops come to mind :)

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.42:08.