RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Keates isn't the man to take us forward. (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110440-keates-isnt-man-take-us-forward.html)

NottsRed 16th September 2017 18.27:39

Keates isn't the man to take us forward.

Im probably going to get slated for this post and it does pain me to have to write this but....

This league is as open as its ever been since we've been down here and the fact we are still only 2 points of off the top despite finding goals incredibly hard to come by speaks volumes. If we had scored three or four goals extra this season there is no doubt we would be clear at the top by some margin already.

Today Keates set up for a home game against the second bottom team again with an incredibly defensive line up. This is a team who have only scored away twice all season. For me he left our three main attacking assets Reid, Massanka and Wright on the bench and bought Carrington back into the midfield. After reading the team sheet you knew what todays game would be like and it was bar Guisley getting there just deserves for time wasting in the end.

After the Hartlepool game or Torquay Keates was quoted in the leader as saying we were missing a target man upfront to get long balls to stick to. Yet again though it was the same predicable tactics with the same results but even worse as with Boden upfront the ball had even less chance of sticking. The BBC commentary time after time mentioned us pumping long balls upfront to our attack who had little chance of winning the ball against bigger defenders. When we did change and move Kelly central we improved and then Keates took him off!!!! Tactically it was a mess.

Its not this match though its been throughout the last two seasons. We are painful to watch and even painful to listen to on the radio. Our tactics are sucking any enjoyment out of supporting the club. Keates has shown very little willingness to change tactics and frustratingly again today we struggled against a part time team. Looking at the home attendances and speaking to people they are not attracted to come and watch the football we are playing.

As many have stated we are probably two or three players off of being in with a good chance of going for the title. However i have come to the view though that Keates isn't the man to take us forward. I don't think he has the tactical knowledge on the pitch even with Darlington supporting and the mystery striker saga / agent fee he shown that he is also lacking the killer edge in the transfer market. Yes he has done a lot of good things but the end game is to get back into the league and yet again this season we have been shown to be lacking.

Personal view i do believe if we bought someone else in even with what we have squad wise now we would still up there come the Xmas period.
Like i said personal view but even though i couldn't make it today it obvious there are major issues n the pitch which is left unresolved are going to drag us downwards rapidly.

Now im off to the bomb shelter :D

welshian 16th September 2017 18.29:35

Re: Keates isn't the man to take us forward.

correct, but no one is listening.

Foxy 16th September 2017 18.30:43

We can't keep changing managers, especially when it's the same clowns picking the next manager.

Ex Limassol Red 16th September 2017 18.31:10

Carrington in midfield is going to cost you your job Keates, you idiot.

jonesfach 16th September 2017 18.40:11

[QUOTE=Ex Limassol Red;2071577]Carrington in midfield is going to cost you your job Keates, you idiot.[/QUOTE]

I think the whole home crowd thought that before the game started..why drop Wright, but if he is injured why was he on the bench....?

NottsRed 16th September 2017 18.40:38

[B]Wrexham boss Dean Keates told BBC Radio Wales:

"It was frustrating, disappointing to take a point at home. You want to take three points at home.

"We knew they were going to be strong, organised, disciplined and were going to sit in and for long periods we didn't move the ball with the intensity it needed to break them down."[/B]

Nope hoofing long balls forward isn't the way to break them down especially when all there defenders are bigger than our attackers.

onelegged harry 16th September 2017 18.41:43

[QUOTE=Foxy;2071575]We can't keep changing managers, especially when it's the same clowns picking the next manager.[/QUOTE]

And the same clowns who get gave him a 3 year contract!

davewilli 16th September 2017 18.45:39

We were poor today, but this thread is rubbish, heard all this before with very manager we have had for the last 48 years. Some bigger named, more experienced and higher paid managers than Keates doing far worse. Let him sort it out. This would be as crazy as Utd sacking Sexton after winning 7 on the bounce.

WrexSi 16th September 2017 18.47:13

Keates made some bizarre selection decisions today. What's frustrating sometimes for the fans is, the wall of silence at times. No real news out of the club before or after games. For all we know Akil could be carrying a knock. Or maybe Coddington was always the plan, but the lad who played Tuesday was signed afterwards too as a useful stopgap before Coddington was ready to actually come and play for us. Who knows. We never hear anything. After matches we just get cliches out of Keates.
We go again next game, etc.

But I think the rot that has set in at the club goes way, way beyond the sole reason being the arguable inadequacies of Wilkin, Mills, Keates.

They can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

There's no spending power here guys.

We will never challenge for promotion, ever, if we don't speculate to accumulate.

All we will ever have, even if Mourinho was running the team, is a mid table conference (NL) team, as there's no money.

We are profitable, sustainable, it's our club, it can never die.

But football wise it's going nowhere, it never can, and never will.

welshian 16th September 2017 18.47:29

[QUOTE=onelegged harry;2071585]And the same clowns who get gave him a 3 year contract![/QUOTE]

This is what kills me. I've got no problem with keates on 18 months to prove his worth, but to offer such a ridiculous contract to a guy still in his managerial nappies was a huge mistake. Now we are stuck with this woeful football.

riccardo 16th September 2017 18.47:47

Jesus wept. Win 3 in a row and we're going up. Draw 3 in a row and we're calling for the manager to be sacked. Bit of perspective and patience required.

Phils-an-alki 16th September 2017 18.48:35

I said we might have to see this season out under Keates and as painful as it may sound see where we are this time next season.
We need to give a manager a decent chance at some point and let him try to build a team. Sacking Keates now would take us back to the drawing board completely in my opinion. If at Christmas we are bottom half in the league then that should trigger a rethink. Otherwise we see this season out and surely to god he'll have learnt valuable lessons and will act accordingly.

Saying that he needs to inject something into this team otherwise he's just digging his own grave. Fans won't keep coming back for the dullfest currently on offer. It'll turn sour.

welshian 16th September 2017 18.53:09

[QUOTE=riccardo;2071594]Jesus wept. Win 3 in a row and we're going up. Draw 3 in a row and we're calling for the manager to be sacked. Bit of perspective and patience required.[/QUOTE]

nine goals. third lowest in the league. The only reason we are 2 points off the top is that the opposition in general have been as inept as we are. If this is the standard you are happy with then lap it up, there's more of the same to come.

davewilli 16th September 2017 18.53:42

[QUOTE=welshian;2071593]This is what kills me. I've got no problem with keates on 18 months to prove his worth, but to offer such a ridiculous contract to a guy still in his managerial nappies was a huge mistake. Now we are stuck with this woeful football.[/QUOTE]

He can still be sacked if he doesnt continue to take us forward, as previous managers have been, but we have been a basket case for too long with zero stability.

Funny_Old_Game 16th September 2017 18.56:28

Vose was in the Leader saying how he lost his way after leaving here, can anyone see anything wrong in giving him a short term deal? Even as a bench option he would actually inject some excitement into the ditchwater dull stuff we watch every week.

riccardo 16th September 2017 18.56:37

Regardless with how poorly we are playing I am happy that we are only 2 points off top and we've only lost 3 games. Last season we were in a much worse state. We're still in September, we're not going to sign anyone new and the manager is still inexperienced and will learn. We must look at the positives and act rationally or we we will go nowhere.

Tom wafc 16th September 2017 18.58:10

2 points off top and we are not playing well, so can't complain yet. Yes the football hasn't been attractive, but this is Keates first season as manager so give the man a chance! We are solid defensively but lacking in attack, this is something that can be fixed unlike our situation in recent years.

sparky 16th September 2017 19.00:28

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2071604]Vose was in the Leader saying how he lost his way after leaving here, can anyone see anything wrong in giving him a short term deal? Even as a bench option he would actually inject some excitement into the ditchwater dull stuff we watch every week.[/QUOTE]

Unless he has learnt how to track back since he left it would be a firm no from me.

OneLoveWrexham 16th September 2017 19.04:33

[QUOTE=sparky;2071608]Unless he has learnt how to track back since he left it would be a firm no from me.[/QUOTE]
But on the other hand with how the second half panned out and the acres of room down the left would he of been needed to track back? Who would you think would be more likely of scoring of assisting Rutherford or Vose?

Pen Dafad 16th September 2017 19.05:44

2 points off the top - sack the manager. Only RP could come up with this.

welshian 16th September 2017 19.12:16

[QUOTE=sparky;2071608]Unless he has learnt how to track back since he left it would be a firm no from me.[/QUOTE]

I think we have enough players going backwards, we need a few going forwards

sparky 16th September 2017 19.12:22

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2071610]But on the other hand with how the second half panned out and the acres of room down the left would he of been needed to track back? Who would you think would be more likely of scoring of assisting Rutherford or Vose?[/QUOTE]

Whoosh

OneLoveWrexham 16th September 2017 19.13:16

[QUOTE=sparky;2071614]Whoosh[/QUOTE]
I was actually hoping you'd say that....

sparky 16th September 2017 19.15:54

[QUOTE=welshian;2071613]I think we have enough players going backwards, we need a few going forwards[/QUOTE]

Jesus, it's like we are all complete strangers who have never met. For the avoidance of doubt I was being facetious, if that's how you spell it after several pints of San Miguel.

Reds4life 16th September 2017 19.20:01

I left at half time for the first time in 10 years. Bore off Keates.

Ronaldo to Wrexham 16th September 2017 19.27:14

6 games unbeaten. .. how many other fans would call for the managers head... won 3 drawn 3. God help him if results go against him. He got it wrong today but we are 2 points off top and have best defence in league. Need a bit of perspective. . Not great to watch but could be worse. Look at the some of the managers with experience in getting teams up... mills for one or how about micky Mellon. If we were to sack keates who do you suggest we appoint . We have to stick by him in my opinion as frustrating as it may be at present.

pawn star 16th September 2017 19.27:46

Just think how the poor Jesters fans are feeling right now, Hope Hannah can honestly say he made the right decision

krux 16th September 2017 19.28:53

[QUOTE=pawn star;2071626]Just think how the poor Jesters fans are feeling right now, Hope Hannah can honestly say he made the right decision[/QUOTE]

He has two year job security, so of course it was the right decision.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

benwilliams 16th September 2017 19.29:03

Dangerous Darlington seems to be getting off lightly here, what does he bring to the table?

Birdy 16th September 2017 19.29:25

[QUOTE=davewilli;2071591]We were poor today, but this thread is rubbish, heard all this before with very manager we have had for the last 48 years. Some bigger named, more experienced and higher paid managers than Keates doing far worse. Let him sort it out. This would be as crazy as Utd sacking Sexton after winning 7 on the bounce.[/QUOTE]

You can say give him more time you will be here in 3 years time saying the same thing. If you can't see the fact that Keates cannot get the team to play to the right tactics and the of play and to bring in the correct players now then you never will. Its just blind faith and optimism. I said the same thing about Mills in the early days and got laughed at but was right then and I'm right again now. There is nothing to indicate anything will change just blind hope and optimism which is best not to be relied on. Of course we can look for another manager if the current one is not up to the job. You don't stick with a failing manager just because the last one was a failiure too.

ted the red 16th September 2017 19.30:17

The thing that pisses me off about Keats is he is always in the ear of the fourth official. When has the 4th official ever changed the course of the game????

He needs to channel his energy to coach/bollock his team instead of taking his frustration out of the 4th official :31:

Red Light 16th September 2017 19.32:21

If we had won today we would now be top of the league.

Rome wasn't built in a day - rather be us than in Tranmere's position - just 3 points separating the top 12 teams. Have patience, DK will bring 'the right' players in when he can.

Not sure how many bookings Wright is on but perhaps he is being held back for next week - perhaps a 5th booking today if he had played would have led to a suspension - our team today should have had enough to beat Guiseley but a classic game of going behind and chasing a match where the opposition just time waste and defend with everyone behind the ball.

Birdy 16th September 2017 19.37:38

[QUOTE=Red Light;2071632]Have patience, DK will bring 'the right' players in when he can..[/QUOTE]

Thats ok then its only been over 2 months waiting for a striker. Then need a midfielder and 2 wingers. Should get there in about 8 months time :freak:

draig arian 16th September 2017 19.40:41

Bring back Gary Mills.

89Leader 16th September 2017 19.44:12

We're 9th and only a few points from top spot! Not sure why some fans really calling for his head? Would they rather mills came back? The reality is that no managers with high stock ever want the job here. Keats is our best option and unless we are going to back him through thick and thin then we might as well not bother

1984 16th September 2017 19.55:32

Our tactics are sucking any enjoyment out of supporting the club. Keates has shown very little willingness to change tactics and frustratingly again today we struggled against a part time team
Soulless football for suffering fans
The part time v full time professional is long forgotten at our club and makes me cringe
How dare we beat a part time time
I hope the professional enjoy their post match interviews and billy big time chance to comment on the shite being served up
The truth is a few of them will most probably be turning out for Guisley and their ilk next season

pagl 16th September 2017 20.24:35

Calling for his head is ridiculous. Questioning the selection and tactics today is totally justified. Bizarre just doesnt describe it accurately enough and use of the loan players at odds to Keates own reasons for bringing them in.

DK was ruthless enough with Rooney/Tilt and the rest last season and I just hope he will now address the problems we have.
How much longer can he afford to fanny around with the CF and now CM and winger situation.

Even at this early stage we need to ship a couple out on loan and prob to National North which is their level.

DK over to you to earn you wages.

Huffy 16th September 2017 20.35:21

[QUOTE=Red Light;2071632]If we had won today we would now be top of the league.

Rome wasn't built in a day - rather be us than in Tranmere's position - just 3 points separating the top 12 teams. Have patience, DK will bring 'the right' players in when he can.

Not sure how many bookings Wright is on but perhaps he is being held back for next week - perhaps a 5th booking today if he had played would have led to a suspension - our team today should have had enough to beat Guiseley but a classic game of going behind and chasing a match where the opposition just time waste and defend with everyone behind the ball.[/QUOTE]

Perfect sense :toff:

Inside Left 16th September 2017 20.42:16

[QUOTE=draig arian;2071634]Bring back Gary Mills.[/QUOTE]

Why? Whats he left behind ?

standingroomonly2 16th September 2017 20.51:02

[QUOTE=Huffy;2071652]Perfect sense :toff:[/QUOTE]

Perfect until you find out that wright is on 2 bookings for the season

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 04.20:30.