Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th September 2017, 19.01:13   #37-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Pearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2071914]Some ironic posts given that at least one of our strikers came to us with a reputation for being able to hold the ball up and one is usually all you need. We find ourselves with a certain amount of perversity going on. All 4 strikers thrive on balls through the centre but the one player we have who can do that, Wright, was benched. Throwing a winger on yesterday turned out to be as futile as you'd expect when there's no big man in the area and the winger is chasing hoofs down the channel.

I think it's fair to say we did change one thing tactically part way through yesterday and that's that Coddington started moves that led to Pearson who then drew a midfielder and released the ball to Manny on the floor. So, for at least the second half yesterday I think it's fair to say we did have distribution from the back on the floor and I'm happy to concede the point. Unfortunately Carra was isolated and we took Kelly off so it was no more effective than anything else we tried.

If we were to persist with that with Wright in there there may be some hope of midfield getting the ball on the floor in a position where they could find another midfielder rather than having to constantly win high balls or second balls and hoof down the channels.

I stand by my original point though that in most games this season the excellence at winning the ball is negated by who it then goes to. Some of that is inevitable (no-one can win and direct every header) but my issue is that Pearson hoofs wildly and Manny heads cleanly to the opposition when he has time to trap; control and pass.
Ah forgive me Mike , I forgot that your the expert , There was me thinking the defenders first job was to clear any danger from our goal , and that high balls into our area where difficult to direct to the feet of midfielders , If they could do that every time , they wouldn't be at this level would they ? , still I stand corrected , Still cant expect midfielders to try win theball for themselves
Old 18th September 2017, 05.18:49   #38-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2072013]No no. Do forgive me. I forgot to ask how many times I have to reiterate for the sake of your inferiority complex that our defenders have been excellent at their primary job? I have never said they weren't.

Is there also a specific number of times I'll have to repeat that it's not a problem with clearing high balls under pressure? It's a problem with having time to bring the ball down and pass it but nevertheless just hoofing it in Pearsons case or booming a clean header to an opposition header in Smiths case.

I have also made the specific point that our midfielders are occupied winning the ball and often do so successfully. The problem is our clearances from defence are forcing them to win it in areas where they should just be given it to feet. By the time they've won it or a second ball the opposition are down their necks pressing and we're constantly pinned back. Exactly what happened against Hartlepool for example. We can't expect any of our midfield to create for any of our strikers if the midfielders are forced to win it deep in areas the defenders should be capable of just giving it them.

As I've also already said (it's getting a tad repetitive this isn't it!) we tried to remedy that second half yesterday. Coddington or Jennings to Pearson on the floor. Pearson to Manny on the floor. Manny to a midfielder where they should be. Didn't work cos we took Kelly off and never gave Wright a sniff but it is possibly a better way forward.

So that would be no valid points from you. Wrong on everything you think I said too. Care to clarify what your skill set is exactly? It's not proof-reading is it?

Now, what was it you needed again? Bigger letters or shorter words?
For me they do their primary job as you call it brilliantly. Distribution is another question. In my experience the best midfielders - Lampard,Gerrard are always available for the CH to take the ball from them and distribute. Our problem is even though Wedgbury is playing deep for example he does not do that enough. Kelly and Rutherford are often concentrating on making forward runs and thus the more difficult pass. Wright could be that man though he hasn't really shown that side when selected.
Result is centre half has to make a decision and if they are capable of bringing it down and hitting a 25 yard pass then I am delighted but highly surprised that they are playing in the 5th division of English football.
Old 18th September 2017, 06.06:22   #39-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2072013]No no. Do forgive me. I forgot to ask how many times I have to reiterate for the sake of your inferiority complex that our defenders have been excellent at their primary job? I have never said they weren't.

Is there also a specific number of times I'll have to repeat that it's not a problem with clearing high balls under pressure? It's a problem with having time to bring the ball down and pass it but nevertheless just hoofing it in Pearsons case or booming a clean header to an opposition header in Smiths case.

I have also made the specific point that our midfielders are occupied winning the ball and often do so successfully. The problem is our clearances from defence are forcing them to win it in areas where they should just be given it to feet. By the time they've won it or a second ball the opposition are down their necks pressing and we're constantly pinned back. Exactly what happened against Hartlepool for example. We can't expect any of our midfield to create for any of our strikers if the midfielders are forced to win it deep in areas the defenders should be capable of just giving it them.

As I've also already said (it's getting a tad repetitive this isn't it!) we tried to remedy that second half yesterday. Coddington or Jennings to Pearson on the floor. Pearson to Manny on the floor. Manny to a midfielder where they should be. Didn't work cos we took Kelly off and never gave Wright a sniff but it is possibly a better way forward.

So that would be no valid points from you. Wrong on everything you think I said too. Care to clarify what your skill set is exactly? It's not proof-reading is it?

Now, what was it you needed again? Bigger letters or shorter words?
The 2 midfield didn't win enough 2nd balls on Saturday. In fact there were occasions whereby Carrington in particular just stood back and watched the clearance bounce when he could have challenged for it.

If your 2 central midfielders are as deep as ours are then more often than not and clearance will go straight to the opposition. It also means that should either striker win the ball from a clearance they are quiet isolated as we don't have runners getting forward in support quickly enough.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 18th September 2017, 06.48:01   #40-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2072031]Agree with both your posts in essence (a lot of things which ought to be basic did not happen on Saturday) but I'm not expecting 25 yard passes. 5 yards and retaining possession would be a start.

Next time you applaud Manny outside the area booming a header clear with no-one near and then watch as it comes straight back ask yourself why, with the time to trap and pass just to Pearson or a full back, he rarely does. People want to see us in possession and I agree some of that is about midfield but this is where it starts match after match.
I clearly remember on Saturday where he (Manny) had more time and he chested the ball and passed to a red shirt.

In recent times one of our best parings was Beast and NKP and they were ,in my opinion, very similar to our current two. Beast was no Glen Hoddle but he did the basics right and NKP was more like Manny - a class act. If Rutherford had taken a leaf out of their book then we might have been celebrating a 96th minute winner as opposed to equaliser. 99.9% of posters on here agree that the CH paring are doing a great job but you appear to delight in educating us all differently. This is a forum and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion but in my opinion this time you are wrong.
Old 18th September 2017, 07.21:49   #41-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynkeepthefaith View Post
I clearly remember on Saturday where he (Manny) had more time and he chested the ball and passed to a red shirt.

In recent times one of our best parings was Beast and NKP and they were ,in my opinion, very similar to our current two. Beast was no Glen Hoddle but he did the basics right and NKP was more like Manny - a class act. If Rutherford had taken a leaf out of their book then we might have been celebrating a 96th minute winner as opposed to equaliser. 99.9% of posters on here agree that the CH paring are doing a great job but you appear to delight in educating us all differently. This is a forum and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion but in my opinion this time you are wrong.
Oh dear mate , mike wont like that don't you realise his knowledge is far superior to anyone else`s ? , what I would like from you mike is shorter essay`s
Old 18th September 2017, 08.33:24   #42-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

This board proves Sayre's law, i.e.

Message board politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low.
Old 18th September 2017, 08.55:37   #43-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrookred View Post
The 2 midfield didn't win enough 2nd balls on Saturday. In fact there were occasions whereby Carrington in particular just stood back and watched the clearance bounce when he could have challenged for it.

If your 2 central midfielders are as deep as ours are then more often than not and clearance will go straight to the opposition. It also means that should either striker win the ball from a clearance they are quiet isolated as we don't have runners getting forward in support quickly enough.
Posted via mobile theme
Exactly the point that many in the Techend also said during the game.
Carrington is happy just to sit and offers nothing in terms of creativity so to have him and Wedgbury in CM gives as a back 6 - as many have pointed out.

I have nothing against Carra personally and think as a squad player he will do a great job this season but for me the midfield 4 on Saturday put us back to the first few games of the season where it was quite clear that we were not good enough.

Add in the misfiring front 2 then its no wonder Pearson/Smith have to carry the can for hoofing the ball as everything in front of them lacks confidence and ability to start any forward passing movements.
Old 18th September 2017, 09.02:17   #44-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
There's an unrealistic expectation as to how we should be playing.
Sorry Al but this is an insane thing to say. It's wholly realistic to expect the team to create chances. How do you expect us to win games?

Last edited by Phils-an-alki; 18th September 2017 at 09.08:45..
Old 18th September 2017, 09.57:07   #45-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Exactly the point that many in the Techend also said during the game.
Carrington is happy just to sit and offers nothing in terms of creativity so to have him and Wedgbury in CM gives as a back 6 - as many have pointed out.

I have nothing against Carra personally and think as a squad player he will do a great job this season but for me the midfield 4 on Saturday put us back to the first few games of the season where it was quite clear that we were not good enough.

Add in the misfiring front 2 then its no wonder Pearson/Smith have to carry the can for hoofing the ball as everything in front of them lacks confidence and ability to start any forward passing movements.
Agree. Cannot understand DK's decision to revert to Carrington and Wedgbury as our CM. They are too similar. Wright has not progressed as quickly as I'd hoped but he and Wedgbury are the best duo. Kelly looked like a footballer when moved to the centre, whilst Holroyd needs more games with Reid alongside him.

Manny Smith and Pearson may not be inch perfect but they are head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment. They need more movement in front of them to offer more options.

Guiseley is gone. We need to go to Tranmere better organized with a good game plan. 35 games to play, with upto 105 more points to win. Let's focus on these games now, rather than dwell on Saturday's disappointing fayre!

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.36:47.