RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Why do we give away possession straight from the kick off ? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110443-why-do-we-give-away-possession-straight-kick-off.html)

mpg89 17th September 2017 10.29:41

Why do we give away possession straight from the kick off ?

In the past we have played the ball on the floor straight from kick off and kept possession. Now it seems to be a hoof ball and loss of possession immediately, that is school boy football. I cannot understand why so called professional management and players continue to carry on doing this.

blackbrookred 17th September 2017 10.31:20

Re: Why do we give away possession straight from the kick off ?

The idea is that the ball either goes straight out of play or the opposition head it out of play and so they are in a defensive position early on. It's a rugby kind of approach of playing for territory.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

benwilliams 17th September 2017 10.31:26

There have been numerous explanations on past threads. Not saying I agree with it but it's to move possession upfield and then pin the other team in off their throw in. Whether it works in practice is another matter!

Captain Dread 17th September 2017 10.42:33

[QUOTE=blackbrookred;2071790]The idea is that the ball either goes straight out of play or the opposition head it out of play and so they are in a defensive position early on. It's a rugby kind of approach of playing for territory.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

I think Guiseley did it as well. So it must be a good idea.

tokyored 17th September 2017 11.22:07

I really hope it's not an instruction from management to do this and rather just something Wedgebury does. It sets a tone of hoofing it from the start and suggests we're incapable of retaining possession for a few passes from kickoff

GarryOggy 17th September 2017 11.32:32

[QUOTE=tokyored;2071806]I really hope it's not an instruction from management to do this and rather just something Wedgebury does. It sets a tone of hoofing it from the start and suggests we're incapable of retaining possession for a few passes from kickoff[/QUOTE]

Loads of teams do it now. How many teams now kick off with two players rather than one?

REDJB 17th September 2017 11.58:05

[QUOTE=GarryOggy;2071811]Loads of teams do it now. How many teams now kick off with two players rather than one?[/QUOTE]

That's because of the law change. You can now pass backwards from the kick off. The hoof is pathetic. Must look good from the roof of a stand though !
It shows how little confidence the management have in the players recruited or their ability to coach them. No wonder the football is desperate when we hoof it into corners and hope the opposition mess up and gift us possession.
It is like rugby....but if they hadn't noticed a football is round and not oval and so doesn't create confusion from inconsistent bounces !

Alan Attack 17th September 2017 12.12:17

The only logical reason is to get your shape quickly.

fezbob 17th September 2017 12.14:00

It's not a new phenomenon. We did it quite regularly under Denis Smith in the promotion season. I remember being baffled as the ball was punted over Morrell's head and out of play repeatedly. The explanation makes sense even if you don't necessarily agree with it.

Now, are any bookies willing to offer odds on the time of the first throw in during our games? Easy money to be made provided we win the toss.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.25:54.