RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Do we expect too much... (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110446-do-we-expect-too-much.html)

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 17th September 2017 23.57:43

Do we expect too much...

Do we expect too much from our professional players.....After all, they're just a hare's breath from working in proper jobs..
The tactical observers on here dissect players performances, but should we bare in mind, they are players on the last run of the professional game.....
Now I'm as bored of wasting my money on watching dross as the next person, but perhaps we need to remember where we are...

Having said that...It would be nice to stumble on that magic formula to get us out of this hell hole...

TomWFC 18th September 2017 05.31:22

Re: Do we expect too much...

[QUOTE=Wrexham's Patrick Bateman;2072020]Do we expect too much from our professional players.....After all, they're just a hare's breath from working in proper jobs..
The tactical observers on here dissect players performances, but should we bare in mind, they are players on the last run of the professional game.....
Now I'm as bored of wasting my money on watching dross as the next person, but perhaps we need to remember where we are...

Having said that...It would be nice to stumble on that magic formula to get us out of this hell hole...[/QUOTE]

This argument annoys me incredibly.

Plenty of other players in this league are in the same position, some aren't even professional at all, yet they manage to play better. Other players in this league can play decent football, pass and move with tempo, create chances and test opposition defenders and keepers.

We rarely do this and there's no excuse for it.

Birdy 18th September 2017 07.46:16

No

standingroomonly2 18th September 2017 07.59:20

I'm expecting players who are able to pass a ball, even if it is sideways, and be accurate enough to put it in front of the players receiving it.
I'm expecting the receiving player to get their heads up before the pass arrives and know what option they have.
At present we have players who carelessly or incompetently (you choose) pass the ball 2 yards behind their teammate who then receives the ball in a position where there are still options wide, but because they haven't looked up their first movement is the safe backwards option.
i also expect players who realise it's possible to take the defender out of the game with a pass inside them. Holroyd has done this twice in the last game and a half. Everybody else is happy to play the ball to feet and leave it to the receiver to beat the man...not going to happen with our 'wingers'
These are all basics at junior level so the nearly semi-pro excuse doesn't wash
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Phils-an-alki 18th September 2017 08.09:17

In terms of what I expect from the team it's to create more than the one chance a game we're seeing now. To have a right go at winning basically... at the moment the team is drifting through games waiting for something to happen instead of making things happen.

BillEBadass 18th September 2017 08.16:40

I have no idea how this could be properly assessed but at these lower levels, compared to say 25 years ago, I would make the following observations;
The players are stronger/fitter/more physical.
The 'basic skills level' has dropped.
The coaching/theory of the game at this level has progressed
Expecting national League players to play like Real Madrid is as confusing as it is impossible.
Those players from higher levels who finished their careers in this level did so because they were not paid anything like todays money which basically means they don't have to.

The chance of progression from lower divisions is virtually non existent - (Vardy is the exception rather than the rule) Premier League clubs spend millions on foreign players some never getting a game. This will have inevitably changed the mind set of players, too many are content to become journeymen in the lower leagues.

Do we expect too much? - I hope so as a culture of achievement must include everyone associated with the Club even those who pay from their pensions and shout 'advice' and hopefully encouragement from the Yale Stand.

dixienormous 18th September 2017 08.27:03

If passing the ball forward to a wrexham player, getting in behind other teams, creating chances and having more than one shot on target during a game is expecting too much, then yes.

moynkeepthefaith 18th September 2017 08.30:08

[QUOTE=Birdy;2072043]No[/QUOTE]

yes

woodoser 18th September 2017 08.50:42

[QUOTE=Wrexham's Patrick Bateman;2072020]Do we expect too much from our professional players.....After all, they're just a hare's breath from working in proper jobs..

Having said that...It would be nice to stumble on that magic formula to get us out of this hell hole...[/QUOTE]

No. Wedgbury in front of back four with kelly & wright in centre midfield .

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.19:42.