Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th September 2017, 15.47:58   #190-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand
Twitter: @

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
If Cook is the said forward that Keates was signing but then the deal fell through because of the agents fees then I don't see what will change on this front come January.
I think Cook was the one Keates went for, but was told 'he's not for sale to you'. Their resolve might be tested by a bid in January though with his contract up in the summer.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 25th September 2017, 16.24:35   #191-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
If Cook is the said forward that Keates was signing but then the deal fell through because of the agents fees then I don't see what will change on this front come January.

I was under the impression the agent one was Amond who chose Newport and they paid the agent plus he scored the winner against his old club Grimsby.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 26th September 2017, 05.39:17   #192-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Tranmere Reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2074128]Think it’s a bit harsh, although very enjoyable, to laugh at Tranmere, for being unable to beat 10 men but I think it hides some deeper truths. Almost all teams never have a plan B, despite protestations that they ought to. If you find yourself against 10 then you need to tire them by moving the ball quickly and between the lines. We’re actively set up to prevent that style of play in every game so it was entirely foreseeable in some ways that we’d be most likely to come out on top. They already have a lack of confidence in playing their natural game at the moment so at 0-0 they were always going to be cautious enough to give us a foothold. If they’d been 1-0 up at the time of the red I think they may have opened up and gone for the jugular. As it was it was almost routine for us. The winning goal though was a bonus.
This is an excellent point. Albeit very uninspiring to some, the way we set ourselves up does prepare for freak events in which a key player is sent off. We're set up not to lose games more than win them, so it's unlikely we'll see many batterings this season. Teams have gone up playing this way, by having a fantastic defence to back it up. We have possibly the best defence in the league so things are looking very positive. If we aren't in the top 7 come the end of the season I will be very, very surprised.

It'd be nice if Holroyd continues to do what he did on Saturday by dropping deeper, looking for the ball. It can help spur on an attack without a big risk of conceding on the counter. I believe he could be our most important man up front this season. None of our other strikers appear to do this successfully.
Old 26th September 2017, 06.00:41   #193-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Agree with MH on team selection, the way we started the game and the limitations that we have in the team.

The euphoria of the 3 points in the circumstances doesnt alter the need for the 2 players that I think we need. Kelly at LM still unbalances the midfield, he has talent but is easily outmuscled.

We need a midfield general as its clear from Wedgburys brainfart that he isnt going to be a player that starts passing movements.

Its also clear we have 4 forwards that could all play alongside a natural CF but nome of them can play the CF role.

I just hope DK doesnt leave it much longer on the recruitment side or were going to be talking about 2 new players needing time to gel when Reid and then Wright go back to Fleetwood.

There is a cautious optimism about this season but there has been no better chance for a promotion challenge given the closeness of the league.

If things dont change they will remain the same and we need to grasp the opportunity whilst its there.

Last edited by pagl; 26th September 2017 at 06.02:10..
Old 26th September 2017, 06.26:02   #194-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2074128]Another fascinating game from start to end for me. Team selection felt spot on. Massanka and Boden would have been bullied by McNulty and certain players in Tranmere’s midfield if they’d dropped deeper and Reid had to start. Seen much understandable euphoria but not much analysis so here’s my attempt.

I think Keates was right. Regardless of the red we did start on the front foot. I didn’t think the Holroyd penalty appeal was a penalty and I had a clear view. Thought he dived brilliantly. Equally though I thought the Wedgebury red could have come even earlier in the incident when Connor was booked. Sam clearly raised his fist first and was a lucky boy. Ironic that I have yet to be convinced the second yellow even involved contact. The video is not conclusive. The subsequent roll from their player was spectacular. Anyone who has ever played football knows that if you’ve really been fouled you go down and come to a halt pretty damn quickly. As ever then at our level the officiating was all over the place.

Think it’s a bit harsh, although very enjoyable, to laugh at Tranmere, for being unable to beat 10 men but I think it hides some deeper truths. Almost all teams never have a plan B, despite protestations that they ought to. If you find yourself against 10 then you need to tire them by moving the ball quickly and between the lines. We’re actively set up to prevent that style of play in every game so it was entirely foreseeable in some ways that we’d be most likely to come out on top. They already have a lack of confidence in playing their natural game at the moment so at 0-0 they were always going to be cautious enough to give us a foothold. If they’d been 1-0 up at the time of the red I think they may have opened up and gone for the jugular. As it was it was almost routine for us. The winning goal though was a bonus.

Equally amusing to me was that the positives and negatives of this game were exactly the same as our last game in some ways bar better team selection this time around. Have a look at both videos (theirs and ours). Repeatedly our centre backs hoof clear when they have time to control it. Back it comes. Talk about creating your own problems. Ditto Kelly. I’m not sure why people thought he had a better game. When he got the ball he was easily outnumbered and yet persisted in trying to take two or more on. Back came the ball. Sigh.

I think credit on our side must go to the team as a unit but also to a number of people within that. Coddington has slotted in like he’s never been away and a defence that have played in front of 4 different keepers in 12 games looked like they couldn’t give a shit who was behind them. I thought Manny and Pearson were okay but not especially better than in recent games. Credit though to Jennings and Roberts. Thought the former had an excellent defensive game in terms of positioning. I rate the latter way higher than most on here. He’s a proper defender. Just does the job. Did it fantastically well on Saturday. For those of you who just want to appreciate the blood and thunder of it im afraid I was appreciating our full backs playing just forward enough of our centre backs to dupe Tranny into thinking we were leaving gaps behind them. They’d try to go wide and the centre backs knew it was coming and cleared efficiently. They tried to go central and the centre 2 squeezed them into Wright and Rutherford. Tactically it was simple but exemplary. All about shape, timing and awareness.

Hats off to Holroyd too. I think he’s much over-rated but he put in a shift in coming back and closing down that midfield space too. Effectively we had a man sent off but still had 4 in midfield and they couldn’t over commit because Holroyd moves well and Reid is always waiting. If I had to pick a man of the match I’d go with Roberts. Come the end of the season I think he’ll be in with a shout for player of the season.

There’s not much else to say really. We know what we’re doing and we’re only going to get better at doing it.

You can all have a week off now as I am most upset I have to miss the Sutton game as I’ll be working in Birmingham.
Ah Mike you can't resist letting the rest of us know that we are all amateurs and you are the professional .
As ever some excellent comments though I think you are again being hyper critical of the CH pairing. I am not sure they had any other outlet than heading the ball forward because (naturally) we played deep after going down to 10 men and their options were rather limited. Albi was rendered so ineffective by Manny that they took him off.
I agree the full backs played well - though Jennings did get skinned a couple of times by a right back sponsored by Harry's pies/Arriva trains.

My personal take on the Jennings/Wedgbury incident is he should either have talked to them both and done nothing or sent them both off. If Jennings reaction of a haymaker punch attempt is ok with you then so be it.
On a day like Saturday we will probably all have a different MOM (Mine was Holyroyd) because they all did so well.
Old 26th September 2017, 06.46:51   #195-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2074128]Another fascinating game from start to end for me. Team selection felt spot on. Massanka and Boden would have been bullied by McNulty and certain players in Tranmere’s midfield if they’d dropped deeper and Reid had to start. Seen much understandable euphoria but not much analysis so here’s my attempt.

I think Keates was right. Regardless of the red we did start on the front foot. I didn’t think the Holroyd penalty appeal was a penalty and I had a clear view. Thought he dived brilliantly. Equally though I thought the Wedgebury red could have come even earlier in the incident when Connor was booked. Sam clearly raised his fist first and was a lucky boy. Ironic that I have yet to be convinced the second yellow even involved contact. The video is not conclusive. The subsequent roll from their player was spectacular. Anyone who has ever played football knows that if you’ve really been fouled you go down and come to a halt pretty damn quickly. As ever then at our level the officiating was all over the place.

Think it’s a bit harsh, although very enjoyable, to laugh at Tranmere, for being unable to beat 10 men but I think it hides some deeper truths. Almost all teams never have a plan B, despite protestations that they ought to. If you find yourself against 10 then you need to tire them by moving the ball quickly and between the lines. We’re actively set up to prevent that style of play in every game so it was entirely foreseeable in some ways that we’d be most likely to come out on top. They already have a lack of confidence in playing their natural game at the moment so at 0-0 they were always going to be cautious enough to give us a foothold. If they’d been 1-0 up at the time of the red I think they may have opened up and gone for the jugular. As it was it was almost routine for us. The winning goal though was a bonus.

Equally amusing to me was that the positives and negatives of this game were exactly the same as our last game in some ways bar better team selection this time around. Have a look at both videos (theirs and ours). Repeatedly our centre backs hoof clear when they have time to control it. Back it comes. Talk about creating your own problems. Ditto Kelly. I’m not sure why people thought he had a better game. When he got the ball he was easily outnumbered and yet persisted in trying to take two or more on. Back came the ball. Sigh.

I think credit on our side must go to the team as a unit but also to a number of people within that. Coddington has slotted in like he’s never been away and a defence that have played in front of 4 different keepers in 12 games looked like they couldn’t give a shit who was behind them. I thought Manny and Pearson were okay but not especially better than in recent games. Credit though to Jennings and Roberts. Thought the former had an excellent defensive game in terms of positioning. I rate the latter way higher than most on here. He’s a proper defender. Just does the job. Did it fantastically well on Saturday. For those of you who just want to appreciate the blood and thunder of it im afraid I was appreciating our full backs playing just forward enough of our centre backs to dupe Tranny into thinking we were leaving gaps behind them. They’d try to go wide and the centre backs knew it was coming and cleared efficiently. They tried to go central and the centre 2 squeezed them into Wright and Rutherford. Tactically it was simple but exemplary. All about shape, timing and awareness.

Hats off to Holroyd too. I think he’s much over-rated but he put in a shift in coming back and closing down that midfield space too. Effectively we had a man sent off but still had 4 in midfield and they couldn’t over commit because Holroyd moves well and Reid is always waiting. If I had to pick a man of the match I’d go with Roberts. Come the end of the season I think he’ll be in with a shout for player of the season.

There’s not much else to say really. We know what we’re doing and we’re only going to get better at doing it.

You can all have a week off now as I am most upset I have to miss the Sutton game as I’ll be working in Birmingham.
With regards the 2nd yellow for Wedgebury there doesn't have to be contact for a foul it can also be given for intent. Harris jumps otherwise there would have been contact therefore a foul is given. Was Wedgebury fully in control? He certainly dives in.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 26th September 2017, 06.51:04   #196-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Centre Yale Stand

You have to hand it to MH he does stimulate real debate.
I couldn't make it to Tranmere , but appreciate an unbiased assessment.
Old 26th September 2017, 06.53:19   #197-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Plenty in the crowd were moaning about us hoofing the ball up the pitch. Not sure what other options we had. We're not good enough to keep the ball for periods of play, so the game plan paid off.

Coddington didn't make any decent saves.
Old 26th September 2017, 08.09:34   #198-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead View Post
Plenty in the crowd were moaning about us hoofing the ball up the pitch. Not sure what other options we had. We're not good enough to keep the ball for periods of play, so the game plan paid off.

Coddington didn't make any decent saves.
We thought the one on one with Albi in the first half was decent
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 15.46:49.