Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th October 2017, 09.25:44   #1-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Wrexham Glyndwr University look to purchase Wrexham Village

http://www.wrexham.com/news/wrexham-...ng-138205.html

Wrexham Glyndwr University look to purchase Wrexham Village – AM says ‘ momentum is gathering’
Published: Wednesday, Oct 4th, 2017 Share:
Wrexham failed to score last night in an away draw at Halifax, but off the pitch the club gained a win in Cardiff.
Wrexham’s Assembly Member Lesley Griffiths has published a copy of a letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure, more commonly known as Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates, which noted his officials had held a meeting with Wrexham Football Club and Wrexham Council to discuss a report that had been commissioned by the club.
The letter also refers to the Vice Chancellor of Wrexham Glyndwr University Professor Hinfelaar confirming that the university is interested in purchasing the adjoining land and flats on Crispin Lane. It contains a caveat that any firm intent would need the university board to agree prior to proceeding.

Of course the vendors, believed to effectively be Geoff Moss and Ian Roberts, would also need to be open to any deal for the flats and land. However with little interest despite long term sales listings many fans will hope they are motivated to finally withdraw from their involvement in that area of town.
Lesley Griffiths AM said: “With Wrexham AFC representatives heading to the National Assembly today, I have received an update from the Welsh Government’s Economy Secretary, Ken Skates AM, clarifying the latest positions and highlighting the progress being made.
“After facilitating initial meetings, Welsh Government officials have now been in close dialogue with the football club for a number of months, involving Wrexham Council and Glyndwr University into the discussions.
“As I have previously said, the Kop and the adjoining land is key to any future redevelopment and if all the relevant parties continue to work together, I am sure there will be opportunities to maximise the enormous potential of the Racecourse Stadium, ultimately benefiting the club, the town and the entire region.
Wrexham.com understands the university has had early exploratory talks with about purchasing the Wrexham Village flats and some nearby land as they are looking to develop more student accommodation on the Mold Road site.
If Wrexham Glyndwr University was able to purchase the flats it means other land lined up for development would then be freed up for other use – for example further lecture / classroom space. The university plans would not include all the land for sale on Crispin Lane, possibly leaving space for a separate Football Museum sized development.
The football club is of course a tenant of the Racecourse with Wrexham Glyndwr University the landlords, and what has been described as ‘regular dialogue’ is ongoing.
The university is remaining tight lipped on any deal, not yet confirming their interest, with a spokesperson telling us: “The university’s new Campus 2025 strategy outlines the need for more high-quality student accommodation. We are exploring different options at present and our primary focus, as always, is the students.”
While Wrexham took on Halifax on the pitch a delegation had made a trip to Cardiff, giving a presentation to several Assembly Members (pictured above and below), plus other stakeholders including representatives from Wrexham Council.

As we wrote yesterday, the club said “Presentations by Wrexham club directors will bring to life an ambitious vision for this regionally significant stadium and its potential to kickstart a positive regeneration of this important gateway to the North’s largest town.
“Directors of the club will set out an ambitious vision for the future that would create more jobs and opportunities for the area and attract more people to the town.”
Lesley Griffiths added: “There is still a long way to go but the signs are positive and momentum is gathering. I thank the Cabinet Secretary for his update and I will continue to support Wrexham AFC anyway I can.”

Last edited by Redordead; 4th October 2017 at 09.26:54..
Old 4th October 2017, 09.36:04   #2-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: Wrexham Glyndwr University look to purchase Wrexham Village

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it seems to say that the university wants to buy the existing WV flats and then buy a bit more of the land for sale to build more student accomodation on?
Where does WAFC's best interests come into that?

Last edited by eastsussexred; 4th October 2017 at 09.39:01..
Old 4th October 2017, 09.38:35   #3-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Yale

It wasn't so long ago the uni didn't have a pot to pis* in?
Old 4th October 2017, 09.42:08   #4-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot: GUS

This has confused me
Old 4th October 2017, 09.44:05   #5-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: ERS - Im a Stander

Being a Wrexham fan i have learned to be skeptical about such propositions. Although nothing has been confirmed It does sound like another chunk of the land behind the Kop will be taken for future flats/lecture rooms and not used in the best interest of the football club.
Old 4th October 2017, 09.45:27   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outertowner View Post
Being a Wrexham fan i have learned to be skeptical about such propositions. Although nothing has been confirmed It does sound like another chunk of the land behind the Kop will be taken for future flats/lecture rooms and not used in the best interest of the football club.
This
Old 4th October 2017, 09.52:03   #7-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it seems to say that the university wants to buy the existing WV flats and then buy a bit more of the land for sale to build more student accomodation on?
Where does WAFC's best interests come into that?
The way I read it is that the university are interested in buying the flats and additional land on Crispin Lane.

The university could then look to expand the campus on the land surrounding WV whilst the land at the upper end of Crispin Lane and behind the kop will be the potential site for the museum.
Old 4th October 2017, 10.01:02   #8-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWrexhamfc View Post
It wasn't so long ago the uni didn't have a pot to pis* in?
presumably they will borrow and use the rent from the flats to pay the mortgage
Old 4th October 2017, 10.09:22   #9-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
The way I read it is that the university are interested in buying the flats and additional land on Crispin Lane.

The university could then look to expand the campus on the land surrounding WV whilst the land at the upper end of Crispin Lane and behind the kop will be the potential site for the museum.
I think that any expansion of new accomodation would at least cut off the far end of the kop, where the old turnstiles on Crispin Lane are situated in line with the side of the yale stand, and personally, I'm not that certain that a museum neccessarily benefits the club that much, as it is difficult to see how it will fund itself in terms of people through the doors, although it should add to the stadiums profile, to be fair. But in all of this, there is no mention of a new stand, which is where the club would really benefit if we can become successfull on the field again.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 4th October 2017 at 10.11:28..
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.10:28.