Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th October 2017, 16.07:19   #1-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: mold road or sainsbury
Twitter: @

Default Our Kop

Just been watching the antique road trip on bbc they were in Liverpool. Did a little segment on Liverpools Spion Kop which apparently is named from the Boar war. Does anyone know if our Kop was given the same name when created. I seem to have some recollection of that was the case but can not be sure.
Should read Our Kop blinking spell check

Last edited by Griffo; 12th October 2017 at 16.08:35..
Old 12th October 2017, 17.02:27   #2-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Default Re: Out Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
Just been watching the antique road trip on bbc they were in Liverpool. Did a little segment on Liverpools Spion Kop which apparently is named from the Boar war. Does anyone know if our Kop was given the same name when created. I seem to have some recollection of that was the case but can not be sure.
Should read Our Kop blinking spell check
The first recorded reference to a sports terrace as "Kop" related to Woolwich Arsenal's Manor Ground in 1904.[2] A local newsman likened the silhouette of fans standing on a newly raised bank of earth to soldiers standing atop the hill at the Battle of Spion Kop. In 1906 Liverpool Echo sports editor Ernest Edwards noted of a new open-air embankment at Anfield: "This huge wall of earth has been termed 'Spion Kop', and no doubt this apt name will always be used in future in referring to this spot". The use of the name was given formal recognition in 1928 upon construction of a roof. Even though it could be the most well known, it was not the first terrace to carry the Spion Kop name; Arsenal's Manor Ground came before it.[3] Many other English football clubs and some rugby league clubs (such as Wigan's former home Central Park) applied the same name to stands in later years.
Villa Park's old Holte End was historically the largest of all Kop ends, closely followed by the old South Bank at Molineux, both once regularly holding crowds in excess of 30,000. However, in the mid-1980s work was completed on Hillsborough's Kop which, with a capacity of around 22,000, became the largest roofed terrace in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadiums)

A lot of clubs used to have an embankment called the kop. I think I read that ours is the largest standing terrace of that era still in existence. I think it was just a name that was applied to the Crispin Lane End at a later date.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 12th October 2017 at 17.12:20..
Old 12th October 2017, 18.15:13   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

The first mention of a 'Spion Kop' at The Racecourse that I can find dates from 1929. Obviously many years before the kop as we know it recieved it's current embankment, which I think was concreted in 1952.
The article appears to show that the embankment at The Crispin Lane end of the ground was already referred to as ' a spion kop' in 1929, but this was very common for many clubs of the time, who had their own spion kop, which was just another name for an embankment at a popular end of the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spion Kop mentioned at Wrexham in 1929.jpg (122.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 12th October 2017, 18.19:43   #4-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Saw the TV programme myself - interesting bit of history and I suppose makes a lot of sense in that, as in any battle the armies involved want to take, and control the highest ground - so that's where the football stadium reference comes in.

The Battle of Spion Kop (Dutch: Slag bij Spionkop; Afrikaans: Slag van Spioenkop) was fought about 38 km (24 mi) west-south-west of Ladysmith on the hilltop of Spioenkop(1) along the Tugela River, Natal in South Africa from 23–24 January 1900. It was fought between the South African Republic and the Orange Free State on the one hand and British forces during the Second Boer War campaign to relieve Ladysmith. It was a Boer victory.
Old 12th October 2017, 19.27:40   #5-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @jon_lp76

Default Re: Our Kop

Always wondered why our kop had quite a lot of rows of barriers and evenly spaced compared to old photos of terraces such as Burnley, Liverpool, wolves etc.. where barriers seemed random and sparse.

Any idea why ours was designed / built like that? Was it always like that as haven't seen many old photos of an empty terrace from before the roof looking up from pitchside.
Old 12th October 2017, 19.40:49   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXM76 View Post
Always wondered why our kop had quite a lot of rows of barriers and evenly spaced compared to old photos of terraces such as Burnley, Liverpool, wolves etc.. where barriers seemed random and sparse.

Any idea why ours was designed / built like that? Was it always like that as haven't seen many old photos of an empty terrace from before the roof looking up from pitchside.
Not sure. Could it be that our barriers were included in terraces that were concreted in the 1950's; later than other clubs, and therefore a bit more safety conscious?
Old 12th October 2017, 19.47:28   #7-0 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Saw the TV programme myself - interesting bit of history and I suppose makes a lot of sense in that, as in any battle the armies involved want to take, and control the highest ground - so that's where the football stadium reference comes in.

The Battle of Spion Kop (Dutch: Slag bij Spionkop; Afrikaans: Slag van Spioenkop) was fought about 38 km (24 mi) west-south-west of Ladysmith on the hilltop of Spioenkop(1) along the Tugela River, Natal in South Africa from 23–24 January 1900. It was fought between the South African Republic and the Orange Free State on the one hand and British forces during the Second Boer War campaign to relieve Ladysmith. It was a Boer victory.
That would have been 21st anniversary of Rorkes Drift 22/23 Jan 1879,
which followed the worst known defeat of British Forces by native army at Isandwahana 22 Jan 1879.

(memo for British Army ......do not engage enemy forces in Africa between 22 and 24 January ever.....)
Old 12th October 2017, 20.48:49   #8-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand townend/Ex kopite

The barriers on the kop were random in the sixties when I started going to matches and made of pipe a bit like a goal frame, these were replaced with the barriers we have now, I think this was done when the new roof was done, around the time tech end was developed
Old 12th October 2017, 21.06:30   #9-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

South African War, also called Boer War, Second Boer War, or Anglo-Boer War; to Afrikaners, also known as the Second War of Independence, war fought from Oct. 11, 1899, to May 31, 1902, between Great Britain and the two Boer (Afrikaner) republics—the South African Republic (Transvaal) and the Orange Free State—resulting in British victory.

A fascinating time in our history - the number of British troops involved at the time and the internal politics back at home. The British eventually came out as winners but some of the tactics used were deplorable - the 'scorched earth policy' where villages were burnt to the ground with women and children made homeless, crops burnt, animals slaughtered, any form of food supply destroyed - then the Boers were herded up and imprisoned in concentration camps run by the British where thousand's died from hunger, thirst and disease.
40 years later in Nazi Germany a similar scenario was repeated although on a much greater scale.

I recall a partial day I spent at Shrewsbury Castle / museum which is well worth a visit - you think that when you learn about a battle or war in fairly recent times it is unique but delve into the decades and quite often the alarming thing I found was it had frequently happened before - perhaps too far back to remember by people today but go back a number of generations and we were fighting in far off lands, often in the same place with less advanced weaponery. And out of all this comes the 'spion kop'.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.43:19.