Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th October 2017, 11.14:18   #19-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Dean Keates - 1 year in charge

After losing at home to Stamford in the FA Cup last season, if anyone would have said to me that a year later we would have a chance of getting promotion from this league with another set of new players, 3rd in the league, I would have snapped their hands off!

The reality is that we aren't scoring enough goals and the entertainment value is poor but lets see where we are in a few weeks, if we are still up there challenging I will be delighted.

I don't understand where this "tempered the expectations" has come from, we all want to get promoted. But if we keep changing managers and changing everything around then it won't happen, it usually takes a bit of time to build.

I think each year we are still down here the expectations rise and the pressure comes from the media and supporters, we haven't really got much time to be patient now.

Last edited by StattoWrexham; 26th October 2017 at 11.17:08..
Old 26th October 2017, 11.19:10   #20-0 (permalink)
"It's Only A Game!"

Racecourse Spot: MRS

His stats:

Last Season League: PL 30 W 9 D 9 L 12 Pts 36 PPG 1.2

This Season League: PL 17 W 8 D 5 L 4 Pts 29 PPG 1.7

He's on target for 78 points which should see us into the playoffs.

Need a striker and a winger so Kelly can play inside.
Old 26th October 2017, 11.21:06   #21-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StattoWrexham View Post
After losing at home to Stamford in the FA Cup last season, if anyone would have said to me that a year later we would have a chance of getting promotion from this league with another set of new players, 3rd in the league, I would have snapped their hands off!

The reality is that we aren't scoring enough goals and the entertainment value is poor but lets see where we are in a few weeks, if we are still up there challenging I will be delighted.

I don't understand where this "tempered the expectations" has come from, we all want to get promoted. But if we keep changing managers and changing everything around then it won't happen, it usually takes a bit of time to build.

I think each year we are still down here the expectations rise and the pressure comes from the media and supporters, we haven't really got much time to be patient now.
We've kept changing them to find one that does the job well. No point sticking with a manager who's clearly not going to get us promoted.
Old 26th October 2017, 11.27:49   #22-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

You have to look at the whole setup since a year ago. He’s improved things massively and made everything more professional from top to bottom.
Old 26th October 2017, 11.31:05   #23-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

It's a massive 'A' from me. A year ago we had the worst squad I can remember and were on the verge of getting dragged in to a relegation scrap. 12 months on we're third in the league and have the best defence tied down on 2 year deals. What a foundation that is to build a promotion winning team from.

The work Keates has done in reshaping the club is astounding. Anybody that is complaining needs to give their head a wobble.
Old 26th October 2017, 11.59:11   #24-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

It's a B+ from me yes for his first managerial role he is doing a very good job, with what he inherited which was a team in free-fall, getting Darlington back was a good move and explains our improved defence. But as Pagl says in football you can't stand still, everyone is judging us at the moment on being 3rd 3 points off top, but as we have all seen in the past that can change very quickly, unless we sort out the midfield and forward line soon. Yes I take on board this 2 yrs project talk but it's nonsense. We are a selling club and if in the first year someone stands out ( at the moment only the centrebacks do) then we have to fill that position again.

It's not about some fans expecting instant success that's silly talk we have been down here 10yrs it's about seeing opportunities and trying our best to achieve our aims when they occur, & as this season up to now shows this league is wide open, we have to go for it that's what fans at all clubs demand, managers to, does anyone actually believe Dean is saying it's ok guys this season is a rebuild we're not going to challenge for promotion till next season? Of course he isn't managerial careers are short lived a downturn in fortunes and the wolves will soon be at the door wanting you out.

So in Summary yes Dean Keates has done a very good job in saving us from a downward spiral last season and stabilising us up to now, he has built a foundation at the back, but now needs to sort out the midfield especially a creative one. Then reappraise his forwards when they start getting some help in creating chances. No team can rely on defence only. It's like an army expecting to win a battle hiding in the bunker with no plans to advance.

As Pagl says you can't stand still. Koeman showed that at Everton.
Posted via mobile theme

Last edited by John Neals Dynasty; 26th October 2017 at 12.02:11..
Old 26th October 2017, 12.00:25   #25-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldtownRed View Post
We've kept changing them to find one that does the job well. No point sticking with a manager who's clearly not going to get us promoted.
That's my point, we've found someone now who knows what he is doing.
If only he had got it when Morrell went or at least became Assistant to Wilkin so that some kind of progression could have been made back then.

Easy in hindsight though and sticking up for the board here Wilkin and Mills both looked decent appointments when they were first made!!! Although there are always a few who will say they knew it wouldn't work right from the start, those are the types that should stand for the board if they have such great crystal balls.

Wilkin and Mills weren't going to get us promoted (that was their job description) so they had to go whereas Keates I think will get a bit more leeway with us due to being an ex club captain and "obviously" understands more of what the club is about, you only have to listen to his interviews to see that he gets what we are about, his response to the Fylde defeat was typical Dean Keates. Now it's up to the players to do their talking on the pitch again this Saturday.

Last edited by StattoWrexham; 26th October 2017 at 12.03:34..
Old 26th October 2017, 12.12:45   #26-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
I think the general frustration is bourne out of 10 years in this division and it looks as though there is a big opportunity to be a real contender again - rather than look back again like we did after the Fl££twood season and post mortem the mistakes made.

Personally I want continued improvement - 3rd is great atm and happy not to hit the top spot too early as 3 games to go will suit me fine

However DK sat with budget money in the bank isn't helping the cause.

I understand QRs point but surely even allowing for a retention of some of this years budget he still was able to offer money to but this mystery striker and basically next years wages would be from next years budget anyway as it would just be the 1 year then

In order to now progress we need to make some changes - that's all and its a natural process at any club. Don't stand still as it did for AM.
Fully understand the frustration but the two players we need have to be quality. They need longer contracts and paying well. Midfield generals and 20+ goal strikers don't come cheap.
I'm sure that money to strengthen will be forthcoming if we are still in the top 7 in January. Whether the right players are available at that time remains to be seen. If we have to use the loan market we need players like Keiron Morris mot Mark Beck.
Old 26th October 2017, 12.53:36   #27-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: mrs

Its a 3/4 out of 10 from me so far, for on field work. Defensively we are very good, but this is to the sacrifice of of our midfield who are defensively minded. Our attack is none existent as a result. Result wise the system as worked to date, but entertainment has been poor. The striker situation, leaves Keates with very low marks, I am yet to be convinced he is capable of signing one with goals in him. If we win promotion with these tactics I will be surprised, so come on Deano surprise me.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.50:52.