RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   League 2 v National League (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110729-league-2-v-national-league.html)

pagl 31st October 2017 09.39:28

Re: League 2 v National League

[QUOTE=[Removed User];2084282]Good grief. He’s an okay fit for that club as they have no ambitions beyond staying in one of the bottom two divisions so there’s no work going on of any note on the youth side or club/ground infrastructure. He tried elsewhere and failed miserably and not without good reason. He’d be an appalling fit for us.[/QUOTE]

Accy are another team that punch way above their weight and one that are founded on the money provided by the FL but spend that money well.

IMO the conference is a different beast and a squad/team has to built quite quickly and if it isn't working has to be changed equally as quickly.
Look at FGR and how even with money still managed to take years to get promoted.

DK has done part of the job but again there seems to be no strategic direction from above so now we sit here with improvements to be made - that is clear to almost everyone - money in the pot and no action.

If DK can be persuaded to make a move then we can push on but if we sit as we are for the next 10-11 games then we could miss the boat.

Sandgrounder 31st October 2017 12.04:05

I think, in terms of comparing L2 (Div 4 to us oldies) with the NL (Conference FFS), there are 2 separate things going on. Generalising here but...

In terms of tactics / style of play, L2 and NL seem pretty similar on the whole. For decent, passing football you've got to look at L1, but in L2 there's much more direct play like we have to endure.

In terms of players, however, the cut off does appear to be at the L2 / NL point. Whilst L2 teams play in a generally similar way to NL ones, they do it much better because the players are better and, so, the ball moves quicker and more accurately, and the pace of the game is quicker and generally quite a bit better to watch than the turgid stuff we watch.

That isn't to say there aren't lots of NL players who couldn't make the step up but, equally, there are many more who are a million miles off the standard for an average L2 player.

Colonel D 31st October 2017 18.01:37

[QUOTE=[Removed User];2084364]Agree with your first two paras. Not sure about the rest. I don’t think they’re guilty of a lack of strategic direction. In fact I think we’ve seen more strategic thinking in the past 12 months than we have in the past 40 years. If they’re guilty of anything it’s a mixed message. Is it a 2 year plan? Is it promotion this season? I’m not sure.[/QUOTE]

Judging by the solid defence , who have 2 year deals and the rest , who generally have one year deals or are on loan I would suggest it is a 2 year plan.

pagl 31st October 2017 18.18:23

[QUOTE=[Removed User];2084364]Agree with your first two paras. Not sure about the rest. I don’t think they’re guilty of a lack of strategic direction. In fact I think we’ve seen more strategic thinking in the past 12 months than we have in the past 40 years. If they’re guilty of anything it’s a mixed message. Is it a 2 year plan? Is it promotion this season? I’m not sure.[/QUOTE]

Glad you agree with build the squad quite quickly and also change it on the same premise as I think that is something that needs to be done.

The strategic comments are based on the WAFC board providing direction to the manager as we have now waited through weeks on inactivity despite the obvious. Extending Reid was a mistake both short term and long term.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.13:33.