Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th December 2017, 17.51:09   #262-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Not far from draigwrecsam but not too close.
Twitter: @

Default Re: That was coming... (Macclesfield away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2094414]To be fair the clown also says that we sat too deep initially whereas we in fact pushed up too much and allowed them space behind our full backs for 15 minutes. When we sat deep they ran out of ideas. So, good to know he was watching the game.

Scoring every player 5 out of 10 as a journo just means he's playing to his audience and not accurately reflecting what took place.
More like protecting his access to the club and players, being too critical could mean no one will speak to him.
Old 11th December 2017, 18.00:33   #263-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Pathetic View Post
More like protecting his access to the club and players, being too critical could mean no one will speak to him.

To be honest his 5 out of 10 across the board is pretty accurate in my opinion.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 11th December 2017, 18.02:16   #264-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
;2094362]I agree, but if we finish 1st; they finish 2nd and fail to get out of the play offs will you feel the same.

You could swap that opinion to the opposite finish them top us second miss put on play offs then how would you feel? Not that either is anymore than possibilities.
Posted via mobile theme

Last edited by John Neals Dynasty; 11th December 2017 at 18.04:50..
Old 11th December 2017, 18.21:24   #265-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
;2094416]I can't recall a game in which Keates applied pressure as you put it at all. He played deep lying midfield and when he couldn't get the ball often went virtually into the back 4. There was some nice 1-2s in our half but little in the attacking half other than against utterly useless teams. He certainly recycled the ball very well. Which bits of those qualities are you not seeing in this team? A very clear mirror I'd say.

In terms of captains I am not just talking organisation but if we're talking about communication then I was in row B Saturday and there was clear and constant talking between Pearson, Jennings, Roberts, Hurst, Carra and Ruthers. Boden was also surprisingly vocal.

I fully understood your points re: the work rate of the latter and delivery. You seemed to have not quite got to grips with my point that in order to deliver well you need energy and time and on Saturday he had neither. Try passing a ball 50m accurately. It's quite hard but most of us would get close. Now try doing the same after say 10x 50m sprints. Not quite so easy. Now try doing it with snow blowing in your face and on ice! He's been excellent this season but to take him down over Saturday when playing in a 2 man midfield is beyond harsh, and I am being as polite as I can in using that term.

The reality is that after the 1st 15 Macc had equal trouble finding their man and their range also. Singling out Rutherford in context doesn't really stand up. His "occasional" assists have been one of our main creative outlets all season.
Cant believe you are comparing any of the current midfield with Keates as none of them are a patch on him or his playing abilities. To describe him as a player that was just a deep lying midfielder taking it off the back 4 isn't how I recall it and remember many occasions where a lot of his football was played in the opposition half. He had the ability to pass and move, hold the ball, bring others into the game, tackle etc. etc. and no I don't see many of this midfield re-cycling the ball as all too often we are 2nd to the loose ball.

I am also not saying Rutherford has only failed to deliver quality delivery in this 1 game where it was snowing and I am not singling him out as - it happens week in and week out and his quality in the final 3rd has been poor since he joined. Harsh - call it what you want for all it matters but it doesn't mask the fact. Work rate unquestionable though.

Even after the first 15 mins Macc should have scored another 2 and put the game out of sight by half time.

My main point is that we are set up to concede the ball and possession and that isn't a good recipe for success. I was expecting a Keates team to be based on a passing midfield and also a 442 formation is all about a solid midfield 4 and we have anything but that.

We could debate and disagree for the rest for 2017 but performances, entertainment and football style show what it is.
Old 11th December 2017, 19.10:48   #266-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: MRS, ex-kopite

Keates played upfield quite often in periods where we were in control.
He won the penalty in the trophy final if I recall?
Old 11th December 2017, 19.36:28   #267-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Having had time to reflect on the match and having watched the match recording in full it was quite a bizarre end result.
The second half pressure built - eventually we scored - the noise level went up and we were really in the ascendancy - then that Jennings header that flashed just the wrong side of the post. With 14 minutes to go if a neutral had to make a bet he would surely have put his money on us to win it.
Another fact that hasn't had a mention was that the wind was with us - blowing the mini blizzard of snowflakes into the Macclesfield players faces - trying to defend crosses in those circumstances couldn't have been easy. Having been behind for so long and getting an equaliser only for us to be level for a mere 4 minutes must have been a monumental psychological blow - BT Sport commentator made the point that it was right against the run of play - and he was right.
A lot of aspects of our play were poor but we did some decent things too - the secret to success in either an individual match or the whole season is being consistent. We can have great periods of pressure and score a goal but if we can't defend for 90 minutes then any advantage we gain will be undone.
We need more goals - simple as - otherwise we wont win enough matches. Also the fraility of our squad depth was ruthlessly exposed - Wedgbury and Wright were missed massively especially the former. I would hate to think what could happen if we lost Pearson for any length of time.
Old 11th December 2017, 19.38:47   #268-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
To be honest his 5 out of 10 across the board is pretty accurate in my opinion.
Posted via mobile theme
Really ? You can stick a minus sign in front of Hurst’s 5.
Old 11th December 2017, 20.01:33   #269-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
;2094438]Er, I’ve not compared any of the current midfield to Keates not did I say he took the ball off the back 4. You’re just making stuff up now to suit your beliefs. I have said this team absolutely reflects him as a player. Paskin nails him too as a player. He didn’t wrestle control and drive us forward. He only got forward when we had control. In many respects he was Carra with a better passing range; real bite and a voice. Great player but just past his peak with us.

The stats. speak for themselves re: Ruthers. Thus far our best and most consistent midfielder. Nothing else to add on that.

And yes, our performances have been the most consistent in the whole division over half a season. I’d like more entertainment too but this is fifth tier football and without a sugar daddy this is how you do it.
I must be misunderstand some of your points then - beliefs!! I just say it the way it see it.

He played deep lying midfield and when he couldn't get the ball often went virtually into the back 4. - so what was he doing then in the back 4 as you indicate.

He certainly recycled the ball very well. Which bits of those qualities are you not seeing in this team? A very clear mirror I'd say. A mirror of what then if your not comparing the current midfield to DK?

You seem to be struggling to justify points you make - maybe you should stick with the basics sometimes.
Old 11th December 2017, 20.27:21   #270-0 (permalink)
-

Quote:
;2094438]Er, I’ve not compared any of the current midfield to Keates not did I say he took the ball off the back 4. You’re just making stuff up now to suit your beliefs. I have said this team absolutely reflects him as a player. Paskin nails him too as a player. He didn’t wrestle control and drive us forward. He only got forward when we had control. In many respects he was Carra with a better passing range; real bite and a voice. Great player but just past his peak with us.

The stats. speak for themselves re: Ruthers. Thus far our best and most consistent midfielder. Nothing else to add on that.

And yes, our performances have been the most consistent in the whole division over half a season. I’d like more entertainment too but this is fifth tier football and without a sugar daddy this is how you do it.
Dear me mike...

Rutherford for me, sums the team up and I have no doubt without reinforcements, we will be scrapping into the last two playoff positions at best. He works hard - nobody can argue that he doesn’t try. He does lack quality though. This lack of quality is prevalant, in our midfield in particular. Rutherford in particular, struggles to read for forward passes and spends 99 per cent of his time counting the blades of grass around his feet. His crosses are aimless and he doesn’t have the pace/trickery to beat a full-back.

Wedgebury and Akil Wright offer physicality, and whilst they are very good at getting in the way and breaking up play, they struggle to play simple 5 yard passes. I often think wedgebury is either sat too deep, or in a stark contrast, chasing a ball near the opposition corner flag, leaving a big gap in midfield. I also think the last minute lunges that get the crowd on their feet could be avoided if he read the game better.

Carrington, who I still think is the best suited to the defensive role out of all the options, can pass the ball better and reads the game far better. He doesn’t offer a lot going forward and doesn’t have the energy of the two above. Keates played the defensive role well (albeit in a three), and I think Carra could do the same.

Kelly is the only player who has the ability to unlock a defence. Amazes me why he doesn’t take all the set pieces. I don’t think it works playing Kelly in a central role in the current set-up, but he’s another who could play in a three. If Keates persists on playing 4 4 2, Kelly is best employed on the left.

What is very apparent, is all our players all have discrepancies in their game, hence them playing in the fifth tier. I don’t think hard work alone will gain us promotion. Very few of the current squad would cope in league two. If Keates can focus on attracting more quality in January, we may well in the mix.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.03:01.