Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th December 2017, 09.09:42   #1-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft
Twitter: @

Default Our biggest weakness

Yesterday's game was a very good performance. Lots of things conspired to provide the end result, very few of which matter long term (Wright and Wedgbury being out, perhaps the biggest issue).

I think we should always attempt to fix our biggest weaknesses first. Until Scott Boden got back in the side and our passing game started coming together I would have said we needed a striker. I still think we do, but I no longer think its the primary issue.

Each player comes with a set expectations. To explain what I mean here's a report card on a few to show how they are meeting their expectations: Holroyd(goal scorer and provider) - Expectations met, Manny Smith - Expectations met, Paul Rutherford (as a chance provider)- Expectations met, Mark Carrington - Expectations (as a utility player) met. Scott Boden (scorer and provider) getting there. So who is failing most badly to fulfil their role?

The answer is Marcus Kelly. Our expectation is that ; He creates chances, scores the odd goal and shows defensive discipline. I think he's meeting the defensive discipline (the least important part) criteria. He's not a great defensive midfielder, so it would be unfair to bash that part of his game and I think his positioning and his effort are ok. In my view he simply isn't creative enough to warrant the role. On Saturday Boden made an exquisite pass to Rutherford to create a crossing opportunity in the first half. That's what we're after from a creative player in the early stages of attack, not the constant diet of simple safety balls we get from Kelly. For me he is consistently missing his expectations and with the increasing competence of the team as an attacking unit I hope we get a replacement in January.

I have accepted that we are not going to change formation this season, so the players in that formation are crucial.
Old 10th December 2017, 09.23:42   #2-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Default Re: Our biggest weakness

I do think we lack an out and out left winger which puts too much pressure on a much improved but still limited Rutherford
Posted via mobile theme
Old 10th December 2017, 09.35:47   #3-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Agree with all you say,if we sign a central mid fielder with ability and vision for the through passes,goals will come even with the strikers we have.
Old 10th December 2017, 09.39:15   #4-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

There is no creativity in midfield, and neither wingers are truly good enough. Rutherford works his socks off but the end product is too often poor. He is best wide left. Mackreth has bags of pace but has been a major disappointment, so far. Possibly suffers from ‘glass legs’ syndrome.

I think Wedgbury is a good defensive midfielder to break up play. Carrington can also do that job. But neither can unlock a defence by either running at them or finding the killer pass.

Wright has bags of energy and will run at a defence but his positional play is poor, and he goes AWOL too often. He has ability and worth a contract, but would rather see him wide right.

Kelly is a good footballer but he’s too slow out wide, and too small in the middle.
Sadly, he isn’t the answer.

Leo Smith has not made the impact everyone was hoping for. He’s still young but he should have won a starting slot by now, considering the competition.
Hopefully, DK and CD are both aware of our failings, and will do something about it. Oh for a creative, attacking midfielder with pace. Get him and I think we would improve significantly.

My 4 priorities would be:

1 Midfielder
2 Big CF
3 Winger
4 Keeper (Coddington but he can wait until next season)

Let’s see what Santa brings us!
Old 10th December 2017, 10.09:50   #5-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congy Red View Post
Yesterday's game was a very good performance. Lots of things conspired to provide the end result, very few of which matter long term (Wright and Wedgbury being out, perhaps the biggest issue).

I think we should always attempt to fix our biggest weaknesses first. Until Scott Boden got back in the side and our passing game started coming together I would have said we needed a striker. I still think we do, but I no longer think its the primary issue.

Each player comes with a set expectations. To explain what I mean here's a report card on a few to show how they are meeting their expectations: Holroyd(goal scorer and provider) - Expectations met, Manny Smith - Expectations met, Paul Rutherford (as a chance provider)- Expectations met, Mark Carrington - Expectations (as a utility player) met. Scott Boden (scorer and provider) getting there. So who is failing most badly to fulfil their role?

The answer is Marcus Kelly. Our expectation is that ; He creates chances, scores the odd goal and shows defensive discipline. I think he's meeting the defensive discipline (the least important part) criteria. He's not a great defensive midfielder, so it would be unfair to bash that part of his game and I think his positioning and his effort are ok. In my view he simply isn't creative enough to warrant the role. On Saturday Boden made an exquisite pass to Rutherford to create a crossing opportunity in the first half. That's what we're after from a creative player in the early stages of attack, not the constant diet of simple safety balls we get from Kelly. For me he is consistently missing his expectations and with the increasing competence of the team as an attacking unit I hope we get a replacement in January.

I have accepted that we are not going to change formation this season, so the players in that formation are crucial.
I don’t think yesterday was a “very good performance” and neither is Boden “scorer and provider.” He has no assists all season and just one goal. True, he has had two 5 or 6 out of 10 performances in the last two games, but that’s because he is putting some effort in now compared to the strolling around that he was doing. But 6 out of 10 is the best you are going to get from him. Needs to go at the end of his contract, along with Mackreth and Hurst. The jury is still out on Holroyd, Jennings, Kelly and Wedgebury , and I am sure we can find a better right back than Roberts once his ridiculous two years is over.
Old 10th December 2017, 10.10:52   #6-0 (permalink)
Aj1
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

Totally agree with the points made re Kelly, but the top and bottom of it Keates seems to like him. I have to add to that Macreth seems to be suffering from that fact also as he is getting 5 or 6 minutes with Kelly selected ahead of him, don't get the glass legs comment, he had a hamstring injury and since has not been selected, give him match time and he will come good. Would be interested to see his assist rate v time on the pitch so far, even last week he was involved in both goals, pass in the first, pulled down for the free kick.
Old 10th December 2017, 10.13:47   #7-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale

I'm not sure if Kelly is our biggest weakness but he's certainly the biggest disappointment this season. He's shown flashes of the playmaker we all desperately want him to be, but even when he has had chances in the middle he usually hasn't shown he is worth it there. I'm not sure how to get the best out of him - is he unhappy? Our direct rigid style not suited to him? Too many average players around him? Past it?
Old 10th December 2017, 10.22:12   #8-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Its about improving on the weaknesses - in any area possible.

We still have work to do on basics. Both full backs continue to make mistakes and our defense is mainly due to the Pearson/Smith CB pairing. Basic defending, communication from Pearson and a bit of pace from Manny.

Midfield - what can be said. No leadership, no ball retention and very little creativity.
Lightweight strike force that is also starved by the midfield.

GK - Coddington in on loan for the rest of the season or given a 2 year deal - whatever DK can arrange.
CM general - this has to be the priority with a player that can hold the ball, pass the ball and organise others around him.
RM - a basic and bog standard box to box player, one that can take players on and also backtrack to help the RB.
CF - one that can lead the line, hold the ball up and put some pressure on the opposition CBs. Something we are badly lacking.

Rutherford can be used LM - although as shown yesterday on a number of occasions his final ball not only lacks quality but at times even the simplest of passes to his own team in the box is beyond him.
Old 10th December 2017, 10.27:57   #9-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft

Some very fair observations on other players, but I would say we are extremely well placed and now playing better football. I was trying to focus on what I think is the greatest need, and I now think that is a better creative player in Kelly's position.

I think we are well placed because we are getting a helluva lot from most of the players. I think criticisms of every other regular starter are generally overstated.

To clarify that , I don't think Hirst is an adequate midfielder,and I don't think Massanka is an adequate striker, but they aren't regulars in those positions.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.23:13.