Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st January 2018, 07.19:40   #1-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Momentum

Thought I'd start a new thread as after what I thought was a great win I did not want to drag down the positivity on other the other threads.

However there was one thing that concerned me yesterday and I have seen it many times earlier in the season.
Yesterday once more the team put in a real shift, grafting for each other and battling hard to get the result, right up until they went one nil up.
Then it was as if someone flicked the off switch and I got the impression that we reverted to type and allowed pools to come at us whilst we relied on our very decent defence.
At one nil up there was only one team in it and it wasn't us and my concern is that having worked hard to take the lead, by sitting back and inviting pressure it just handed the momentum to the opposition and had the second goal gone Hartlepool's way, then I believe we would have lost that match as once you lose momentum, it is very difficult to get it back.
Thankfully Quigley was able to finish off a counter attacking move and kill the game off for us but we have conceded late equalisers a couple of times whilst hanging on and that has cost us points.

If you are playing well and having a fair degree of success in the game, why change the way you play when you take the lead? Fair enough if you are three or four up (though I thought we should have gone for more against Torquay) but not at one nil or even two nil (this is why they say two nil up is a very dangerous scoreline for the team that is ahead).

Like I said it was a great result but why risk throwing it away?
Old 21st January 2018, 07.23:24   #2-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy1 View Post
Thought I'd start a new thread as after what I thought was a great win I did not want to drag down the positivity on other the other threads.

However there was one thing that concerned me yesterday and I have seen it many times earlier in the season.
Yesterday once more the team put in a real shift, grafting for each other and battling hard to get the result, right up until they went one nil up.
Then it was as if someone flicked the off switch and I got the impression that we reverted to type and allowed pools to come at us whilst we relied on our very decent defence.
At one nil up there was only one team in it and it wasn't us and my concern is that having worked hard to take the lead, by sitting back and inviting pressure it just handed the momentum to the opposition and had the second goal gone Hartlepool's way, then I believe we would have lost that match as once you lose momentum, it is very difficult to get it back.
Thankfully Quigley was able to finish off a counter attacking move and kill the game off for us but we have conceded late equalisers a couple of times whilst hanging on and that has cost us points.

If you are playing well and having a fair degree of success in the game, why change the way you play when you take the lead? Fair enough if you are three or four up (though I thought we should have gone for more against Torquay) but not at one nil or even two nil (this is why they say two nil up is a very dangerous scoreline for the team that is ahead).

Like I said it was a great result but why risk throwing it away?
I cannot disagree with anything you say, but the counter argument would be, we sit in a very decent position as things stand with the current approach.
Old 21st January 2018, 07.28:08   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Centre Yale Stand

If you have some pace up front and can counter attack effectively then allowing teams to come at us creates more space for us to attack.
The problem has been we have not been able to do that very often up to now , but with Quigley and any other new signings it could turn draws into more wins.
Old 21st January 2018, 07.58:44   #4-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

I think youve got a valid point. But All teams at our level, particularly when playing away, have periods where they can't keep up their intensity etc. What I like about this team, and why I am confident we will do well this season, is our game.management is generally very good. We might drop off sometimes but we haven't been punished for it as much as teams in the past. We are still a team that is grpwing togwther and we can only get stronger.
Old 21st January 2018, 08.29:30   #5-0 (permalink)
LWR
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot:

Its the ebb and flow of a game.

The opposition is always going to get a spell during the game when they''re on top.

Its unrealistic to think a team can be on top for 90 minutes every week.
Old 21st January 2018, 08.30:36   #6-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
I think youve got a valid point. But All teams at our level, particularly when playing away, have periods where they can't keep up their intensity etc. What I like about this team, and why I am confident we will do well this season, is our game.management is generally very good. We might drop off sometimes but we haven't been punished for it as much as teams in the past. We are still a team that is grpwing togwther and we can only get stronger.
I guess that this is where my worries stem from and you are correct in saying that defensively we are far better than many teams in the past.

It's still unbearable to watch as much now as it was back then.
Old 21st January 2018, 08.42:03   #7-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

All season there are a number of consistent traits.

At times we sit so, so deep it's as if we invite the opposition onto us - perhaps a high expectation that the proven strength of our defence will be good enough - most times it is.

But whilst the opposition are pouring forward in significant numbers it could be argued that we are at our most dangerous - more chance of getting a goal on the counter.

As regards yesterday - playing away from home and taking a second half lead then shutting up shop and becoming more defensive isn't a bad tactic but it can and has previously backfired where the opposition is handed momentum and it builds out of control momentum.
Old 21st January 2018, 08.44:01   #8-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: GUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy1 View Post
I guess that this is where my worries stem from and you are correct in saying that defensively we are far better than many teams in the past.

It's still unbearable to watch as much now as it was back then.
Could you imagine using the same tactic if we got to the play-off final! Go 1 up and then defend for the rest of the match!! That would be a heart attack waiting to happen!
Old 21st January 2018, 08.48:34   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Behind the guy with the big Afro :-(
Twitter: @COYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex View Post
Could you imagine using the same tactic if we got to the play-off final!
You're deluded if you think we'll make it to the play off final...................we're going up as champs

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 17.44:31.