Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th January 2018, 22.19:15   #28-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Crowd v Tranmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willywill View Post
We could form a team of former BSC steel men. I too was one of them, but young enough to be re trained.
As long as we make sure that we make some plans for Nigel
Old 29th January 2018, 22.25:18   #29-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Gates were low in the mid 80s 1200s to 2000 not being unusual. I do remember the tramps and Crew getting similar gates in the 70s

The first league survival year in the early 90s did wake people up a bit, and gates have improved from then.

I never thought we would get gates like this in non league, I think it does say a lot about our fans and the fans owned model.
Old 29th January 2018, 22.26:52   #30-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post
When I say novelty I don't mean if the team keeping winning, but the novelty of playing in a higher league only lasts for a period.

Sorry Dave I disagree I wouldn't say the novelty wears off its probably more a case of struggling or being average in that league over a few seasons, that plus younger fans grow up get married have kids and less money to go to games a culmination of things, plus football going to games is a bit like a habit, if you break that habit it's harder to start again. When and I say when we go up, if we have a few seasons near the bottom of league 2 then yes the gates will probably drop back down to the hardcore 3000.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 29th January 2018, 22.48:51   #31-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
I agree it would be great for the young supporters which some who weren't even born when we were last in the league to see us play league football, when I first started supporting us early 60s we were a struggling old 4th division side.

It wasn't cheap then to go to a match either, it's all relative to the cost of living.
Posted via mobile theme
I also first started supporting us in the early 60s, seem to remember decent crowds, although it was a promotion season, and always long queues at the boys turnstiles.
Old 30th January 2018, 06.05:28   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
Sorry Dave I disagree I wouldn't say the novelty wears off its probably more a case of struggling or being average in that league over a few seasons, that plus younger fans grow up get married have kids and less money to go to games a culmination of things, plus football going to games is a bit like a habit, if you break that habit it's harder to start again. When and I say when we go up, if we have a few seasons near the bottom of league 2 then yes the gates will probably drop back down to the hardcore 3000.
Posted via mobile theme
It sounds to me you do agree, gates generally only hold up after promotion for a year unless the team have continued success. Just look at our gates when we went up to the 2nd division (championship), no where near the gates at the end of the promotion season even with more away support. The remarkable, thing is the gates most lower league clubs have seen a steady decline over the decades, including Wxm but since dropping into the NL they have generally held up if indeed not improved. Certainly ST sales have done well. Money is tight, but it shouldn't be an excuse as we are blessed with our large catchment area and some of the most deprived areas have well supported football teams. Yes some of our hard core fans travel some distance and others won't travel unless their is a sniff of success, but the first game of the season and Saturday proved how many casual fans we have, we just need to get them hooked in.

Last edited by davewilli; 30th January 2018 at 06.07:26..
Old 30th January 2018, 08.11:33   #33-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

You also have to consider that marketing back in 80s isn’t what it is now. How the club managed to sell the ground out for a run of the mill league game in early October against Grimsby in 2015 for our 150th year is testament to those running the club.
Old 30th January 2018, 08.33:05   #34-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDGOG View Post
Gates were low in the mid 80s 1200s to 2000 not being unusual. I do remember the tramps and Crew getting similar gates in the 70s

The first league survival year in the early 90s did wake people up a bit, and gates have improved from then.

I never thought we would get gates like this in non league, I think it does say a lot about our fans and the fans owned model.
We dipped below 1000 a few times too for league games. I remember a Jim Steel hat trick on a Tuesday against Southend I think. There was about 960 odd there from memory.

That was the lowest ebb for me regardless of the league we were in. It felt like we might just peter out as a club due to the factors mentioned above.
Old 30th January 2018, 09.06:16   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by owain94 View Post
You won't see Bournemouth's attendances taking a dip towards what they were even if they got relegated though because of a worn off novelty. They aren't the only example either.
yes fair point wigan before the wheelan era averaged 2000 to 3000 but after prem stint hitting double figuers 2 leagues below, i think our fanbase has increased because we no we can or should be able to compete in this league, and are after a team to watch who dominate
Old 30th January 2018, 11.28:07   #36-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbuteorob View Post
I think the key is how the attendances reducedyear 1 to year 4. Shows fans want to see a successful team. The league they are in is almost immaterial.
Agree.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 02.08:15.