Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th February 2018, 11.11:23   #37-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Wrexham v Crystal Palace 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrobinman View Post
I could be wrong, but my recollection is that I don't think we actually necessarily needed to win that last game.
Positions were decided on goal average in those days and I seem to recall that the 4th Palace goal was important insofar as it meant that we needed to score a goal and not lose our last game.
So a scoring draw would have been good enough.............as I say I could be wrong, after all this time.
I believe that was the first season that goal difference was used in place of goal average, and that 4th goal did make all the difference between needing a draw and having to beat Mansfield.

Looking back now, we didn’t know it at the time, but we had this to look forward to the next season https://youtu.be/6pVE-mSSKb0
Old 9th February 2018, 12.42:20   #38-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

It was a dreadful experience (relatively). I always felt that if we had got promotion that year we would have followed it up with promotion to the top flight the following season.
If we go up this year it will more than make up for it.
Old 9th February 2018, 14.02:36   #39-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

With four or five matches to go Wrexham had looked firm favourites to go up but four of their last five games were against the three teams who did go up, and drawing at home to Brighton, losing twice to Palace and then losing to Mansfield put paid to their hopes.

A win for Palace at Wrexham by two goals would leave Palace ahead of Wrexham by one point AND with a superior goal difference, so Wrexham would have to win their last game.
Old 9th February 2018, 14.58:07   #40-0 (permalink)
-

(info)

Racecourse Spot: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire_Red View Post
I believe that was the first season that goal difference was used in place of goal average, and that 4th goal did make all the difference between needing a draw and having to beat Mansfield.

Looking back now, we didn’t know it at the time, but we had this to look forward to the next season https://youtu.be/6pVE-mSSKb0
You are right. It was the 76/77 season that GD replaced GA.
This fact means that my recollections posted earlier were partly incorrect.

Looking back on the final table it finished (as far as us and Palace were concerned) as follows.

Pts F A Diff
3rd Palace 59 68 40 +28
4th Rotherham 59 69 44 +25
5th Wrexham 58 80 54 +26

So, if we had not conceded the 4th against Palace, a draw of any score would have been good enough against Mansfield.
We would have had identical goal difference to Palace, but had scored more. So that 4th Palace goal was indeed crucial.

Interestingly, Palace's final game that season was the win at the Racecourse, so didn't play on that last Saturday.

Just as a final comment concerning league rule changes. When we were relegated from the 2nd Div in 1981/82 it was the first season of 3pts for a win, and we finished 21st of 22, with 44 pts.
Had it remained as 2 pts for a win, we would have finished 19th, leapfrogging Bolton and Cardiff, and would have stayed up!!

19 Bolton Wanderers 42 13 7 22 39 61 46
20 Cardiff City 42 12 8 22 45 61 44
21 Wrexham 42 11 11 20 40 56 44
22 Orient 42 10 9 23 36 61 39
Old 9th February 2018, 15.03:50   #41-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: exec box

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
With four or five matches to go Wrexham had looked firm favourites to go up but four of their last five games were against the three teams who did go up, and drawing at home to Brighton, losing twice to Palace and then losing to Mansfield put paid to their hopes.

A win for Palace at Wrexham by two goals would leave Palace ahead of Wrexham by one point AND with a superior goal difference, so Wrexham would have to win their last game.
i remember that Brighton team well

they were huge
Old 9th February 2018, 19.51:21   #42-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmdoug View Post
i remember that Brighton team well

they were huge
Palace and Mansfield,if they lose are even better get relegated, I have an inward chuckle
Old 9th February 2018, 20.41:48   #43-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

The Mansfield draw was a defining moment when I was 15. It taught me that no matter how good it gets, it always ends in tears.
Old 9th February 2018, 20.50:54   #44-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

I lived in Llandudno at that time and the two journeys back were amongst the worst expereiences in my life along with the journey back home to Mold in May 2013. The hangover in 1977 dissappeared reasonable quickly but until the past week or so the pain of the hangover from Wembley has started to fade away and hopefully we can nail it in a couple or months or so time. By the way the return home from our last Wembley experience against Ferriby was ok, as no one I was with at the time was surprised. Up the town, lets nail it as Champions, the suspense of the playoffs would not be pleasant as I would not go to Wembley if we get to the playoff final.
Old 9th February 2018, 20.52:07   #45-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Border stand

My dad used to talk about this game all the time. He reckoned there were Crystal palace fans on the kop who didn't actually realise they'd been promoted. He also thought if we'd gone up that year the success would of lasted longer. Something to do with freedom of contract? That came in later

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.14:48.