Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th February 2018, 14.56:18   #28-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Paddock
Twitter: @shimosays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelltown View Post
Keates is obsessed with clean sheets and in my opinion not much tactical nous.
Yeah, because keeping clean sheets is easy and you can just use any old tactics to achieve them. Right.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 11th February 2018, 15.01:29   #29-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Centre Midfield Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Quite surprisingly given DKs playing career and his part in our superb midfield when he was a player then our CM problems still continue and go unaddressed.

Yesterdays performance once again underlined this and just like a boxer that dominates the centre of the ring then teams that dominate the centre of midfield are usually the better team.

The amount of space given to the Halifax midfield allowed their number 10 to continually pass the ball around at ease and the equaliser was on the cards.
The manner of the equaliser again showed the lack of urgency in the team to get out of the defensive structure and close down the ball.

Wedgbury for all his attributes is basically a 3rd centre half and is very effective from a defensive perspective but this allows the opposition to dominate the CM and the area of the pitch around the centre circle.

If we are going to continue with a 442 formation then DK needs to make sure it is 442 and not 4132 which is how it seems at the moment.
Unfortunately Deverdics and Kelly were almost anonymous yesterday which compounded the problem even more and with Wright not even on the bench then we had no options.

DK has to address this problem with his last piece of player recruitment. IMO.
If we can see the problem, why can't Keates?. I'm starting to believe Keates does'nt deserve the support he's getting.
Old 11th February 2018, 15.06:10   #30-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig arian View Post
If we can see the problem, why can't Keates?. I'm starting to believe Keates does'nt deserve the support he's getting.
That's harsh and not what I am saying. Given our current position he deserves the support and that has been shown with attendances and BTB.

We are now at a critical stage of the season and we need to be bolder and stronger now - trying to grind out 1-0's isn't going to cut it anymore.
Old 11th February 2018, 16.36:03   #31-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig arian View Post
Because it's not as easy as we like to make out, if it was we'd all be in the dugout there are other factors at play we wouldn't even consider.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 11th February 2018, 16.53:34   #32-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
For what it's worth I agree with you. The fallout from yesterday's game (especially when contrasted with the over the top reaction to our recent wins) is miles over the top.

This is still a work in progress team. The defence was sorted first. Keates has worked hard to improve the attack. The midfield needs work but we haven't done thatv badly considering it's apparently so useless.Deverdics is a new player and hasnt played or trained much with us yet. It will improve. You can't just buy a load of new players and it be miraculously fixed. This isn't Champ man. ( Admittedly I wasn't there yesterday so I'm just commenting on generalities.)

As for Akil Wright. He s just come back from injury. He s 21 and hasn't played much first team men's football in his career. Id imagine he's just being managed properly rather than just being thrown back into the team with no regard for his development.
How many 21 year olds are playing week in week out in this division.If they are good enough they are old enough.
Old 11th February 2018, 17.06:36   #33-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Quite surprisingly given DKs playing career and his part in our superb midfield when he was a player then our CM problems still continue and go unaddressed.

Yesterdays performance once again underlined this and just like a boxer that dominates the centre of the ring then teams that dominate the centre of midfield are usually the better team.

The amount of space given to the Halifax midfield allowed their number 10 to continually pass the ball around at ease and the equaliser was on the cards.
The manner of the equaliser again showed the lack of urgency in the team to get out of the defensive structure and close down the ball.

Wedgbury for all his attributes is basically a 3rd centre half and is very effective from a defensive perspective but this allows the opposition to dominate the CM and the area of the pitch around the centre circle.

If we are going to continue with a 442 formation then DK needs to make sure it is 442 and not 4132 which is how it seems at the moment.
Unfortunately Deverdics and Kelly were almost anonymous yesterday which compounded the problem even more and with Wright not even on the bench then we had no options.

DK has to address this problem with his last piece of player recruitment. IMO.
I am very much a Keates fan. For me he has built his side steadily with a view to being ready to go next season. The side has done even better by getting into the top three! However I agree with you Pagl. In the games I have seen we have often conceded the midfield. At Aldershot Rowe ran the game for them and we made no effort to close them down. This tactic, conceding midfield, has worked against some sides, but where they have some clever inter passers we get exposed like Aldershot and Macclesfield. For me we probably need a more advanced midfielder who can close down playmakers, whilst being creative when we get the ball. Saturday is a big game.
Old 11th February 2018, 17.16:17   #34-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: none given

The problem as far as I can see is we have lacked pace and quality outwide all season, wedgebury sits far too deep and has very limited passing ability. Kelly offers a bit of quality at set-pieces(this was completely devoid of his game yesterday), but doesn’t quite have the ability to match in open play. Maybe Deverdics might offer more in the middle. Rutherford puts plenty of effort in, but is a bottom end conference winger at best. Amazed we are still persevering with him on the wing.

I’m not sure what people saw in wedgebury yesterday. He runs around a lot but I’m yet to see him boss the midfield for 90 minutes. Playing in a 4-4-2, I expect more quality on the ball from a midfielder. Russell Penn did wedgeburys task last season, reading the game better and avoiding the need to bomb round the field. He could also pass the ball forward. A vast contrast in my eyes.

I’m wondering how long it will be before Raven gets a chance infront of Kevin Roberts. He looked like a decent footballer when he came on against Tranmere.
Old 11th February 2018, 17.41:02   #35-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlayDragon View Post
Indeed.

It's been proven this season that our best central midfield combination is Wedgebury and Wright; we've all seen this.

Quite what Keates sees in Kelly I don't know; but then again I can't work out why he keeps playing left-footed central midfielders on the left-wing. It's even more baffling considering that Keates' was........a left-footed central midfielder.
Having Kelly there is no different than having Carrington. All he does is pop little passes off here and there and it just doesn’t hurt the opposition. Both are clearly told to never get ahead of the ball and therefore we struggle to sustain pressure in attacks because we have nobody following up second balls near enough to the goal.
Old 11th February 2018, 17.46:07   #36-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The problem as far as I can see is we have lacked pace and quality outwide all season, wedgebury sits far too deep and has very limited passing ability. Kelly offers a bit of quality at set-pieces(this was completely devoid of his game yesterday), but doesn’t quite have the ability to match in open play. Maybe Deverdics might offer more in the middle. Rutherford puts plenty of effort in, but is a bottom end conference winger at best. Amazed we are still persevering with him on the wing.

I’m not sure what people saw in wedgebury yesterday. He runs around a lot but I’m yet to see him boss the midfield for 90 minutes. Playing in a 4-4-2, I expect more quality on the ball from a midfielder. Russell Penn did wedgeburys task last season, reading the game better and avoiding the need to bomb round the field. He could also pass the ball forward. A vast contrast in my eyes.

I’m wondering how long it will be before Raven gets a chance infront of Kevin Roberts. He looked like a decent footballer when he came on against Tranmere.
Yes exactly the point I am making.

We play a 442 and they should push up on the opposition when we haven't got the ball but the shape is all over the place with Wedgbury dropping far too deep and Rutherford often caught out of position and leaving Roberts exposed.

When the 2 CBs are in possession like yesterday then the 2 FBs are too high up the pitch and the midfield goes all over the place.

442 should be 2 solid banks that work forwards/backwards as a unit and that needs a lot more work on the training ground as we will get exposed by the better teams.

Last edited by pagl; 11th February 2018 at 17.47:29..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.02:31.