Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th March 2018, 07.32:05   #1-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road
Twitter: @

Default Does this dispel some of the stories?

Daily post article by Barry Horne
Didn't Don and Bazza resign when DK got the job? He suggests that he nominated DK before Mills was appointed or are they just empty words.

Wrexham are starting their search for a new manager with Dean Keates having left the club to join Walsall.

I played with Dean at Walsall right at the end of my career – in fact my last ever professional appearance was a full 90 minutes of a 3-0 thrashing of Northampton on the final day of the 2000-01 season.

It was one of the least significant games in terms of status or meaning that I ever played in, but I remember the day better than many hundreds of much bigger, more important games that I played in simply because I knew it was likely to be my last ever game and so was determined to enjoy it.

I was a few days short of my 39th birthday and knew my time was up.

Fortunately I was still more than physically fit enough to have played on, but after leaving the Premier League in the summer of 2000 and dropped down the league my ‘desire’ had deteriorated and once that had gone I knew I could not play on.

Ray Graydon, who I knew from my days at Southampton where he was the reserve-team manager, took me to Walsall as cover as they closed in on promotion to the Championship.

With a play-off place secured, Graydon took the opportunity to rest some of their main men such as Dean Keates and Tom Bennett, their two midfield starters, ahead of the play-offs.

A few days short of my 39th birthday I was pleased that I finished my career not only with a win but a really good performance, although that is not saying too much – the opposition were so bad that Brett Angell bagged a hat-trick!

Anyway, roll forward a few years and our paths crossed again as I watched Dean from the stands as he captained Wrexham to near promotion and FA Trophy success, and I was totally not surprised that he has made a very good start to his coaching career.

In fact, so confident was I that he could do a good job for Wrexham, I argued that he should have been given the job ahead of Gary Mills when Kevin Wilkin was sacked. I also proposed almost the exact same support staff he has around him now which has done so well.

I presume there will be a few disgruntled fans who will take issue with the fact that Dean is leaving Wrexham Football Club at all, let alone at such a critical stage of the season.

Fans may point to the fact that Wrexham gave him his break and say he should show some loyalty.

Others will point to the fact that if he takes Wrexham up he will have a promotion on his CV which will potentially lead to better job offers, and he will have Football League management to look forward to. It could also be argued that Walsall are struggling in their division while Wrexham are doing well in theirs.

There are a lot of ‘ifs’ in there, not least of all ‘if Wrexham get promoted’, but football is not like other occupations whereby if you are good at your job you can almost plot a career and can afford to wait for the next job to come along.

There is no certainty that another job will come up; there is even less certainty about the value of a manager’s stock when another job does eventually come along.

In football you have to grab the opportunity in the instant that it exists.

You have to make a decision fairly quickly about whether or not to jump trains.

Dean joined Walsall from school. He left after seven years which included the promotion year I was there. He rejoined them four years later when the club was at a low point and once again took them up only this time as captain and player of the year.

In short, as much as he has history with Wrexham he also has history with Walsall. He is from Walsall. As much as Walsall may be seen as ‘struggling’, they are six points clear of the relegation zone, are not in danger of going down and are currently 36 places higher in the league tables than Wrexham.

While Wrexham are undoubtedly ‘bigger’ than some clubs in League One, they are not at that level at the moment.

Walsall are, and are likely to stay there – playing the likes of Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wigan, Blackpool and Charlton, who have all appeared in the Premier League.

Oh, and they will pay more!

Dean denied having had any contact with Walsall earlier in the week, but whenever contact was made he would have needed no time at all to make his decision.

He had to go, and we should all wish him the very best for the future and take pride in the fact that he is the latest name to be added to a long list of people working in football at all levels – from physiotherapists, coaches, scouts, administrators and players to an England age-group World Cup-winning coach – who have started out at Wrexham Football Club.

As for the immediate future, nobody should under-estimate the contribution to the team’s success so far this season of Dean’s assistants Andy Davies and Carl Darlington.

The team are in safe, trusted hands as they continue their quest for promotion.

Good luck Dean, and good luck Wrexham FC.
Old 17th March 2018, 07.44:30   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

Default Re: Does this dispel some of the stories?

Sound like Barry Horne trying to take some credit for something he had flip all to do with.
Old 17th March 2018, 07.47:45   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

I just hope we leave things in the hands of Davies & Darlington.
There are some real strange names being linked with us who have probably not seen a National League game ever or for some time - Sinclair, Bellamy, Fowler etc - would much rather have people in charge who are 'our own' who have the love of the club at heart - and I honestly believe Darlington is the brains in the camp - poorly treated by Mills - we should keep what we already have instead of smashing down the foundations and starting all over again with men who have never mixed mortar at this level (or any level) before.

Looking for a reaction at Woking this afternoon - team selection, tactics and outcome will be interesting without DK.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.07:34   #4-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Doesn’t dispel any of the stories of Horne being a ridiculously arrogant individual.

Spends half of that talking about himself and his greatness.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.10:29   #5-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Bamfords/excutive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post
Doesn’t dispel any of the stories of Horne being a ridiculously arrogant individual.

I don't even know how you understand what he's saying, never heard someone mumble more than he does.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.22:12   #6-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

I struggle to see why people make Horne out to be the bad guy. The last 15 years of supporting club have given us a myriad of crooks to despise but Horne is not one of these people.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.34:40   #7-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
I struggle to see why people make Horne out to be the bad guy. The last 15 years of supporting club have given us a myriad of crooks to despise but Horne is not one of these people.
Never came across as arrogant when I have met him.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.43:12   #8-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

I agree with most of what Horne said. I'm not however convinced that a promotion with Wrexham would have got him a better job than Walsall.
Old 17th March 2018, 08.44:44   #9-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post

I thought that too. What an egotistical moron!!
Posted via mobile theme
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.56:11.