Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th April 2018, 22.35:58   #37-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Tech End
Twitter: @

Default Re: Mark Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi3973 View Post
And failing to get promotion twice. The same as Morrell, who was criticised for doing the same. He (Yates) was in danger of getting Crawley relegated too.
Fair point but if he'd have got promoted from League 2, he probably wouldn't be managing at this level. He's got good experience and seems to do a decent job for the most part. Honestly at this point I'm out of options.

Our dilemma is do we take a manager who has good football league/NL experience which let's face it are few and far between and don't always work out, i.e. Mills. Or do we take another punt on another up and coming which had mixed results with our last outing. Tough one for the board, not envious of being in their position tbh.
Old 18th April 2018, 23.11:34   #38-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: As Far away from Idiots as Possible

We were talking in the pub tonight and Sol Campbell name came up again, and I know he was ridiculed a few weeks ago.

After thinking about it for a while, why has someone who has higher UEFA qualifications and licenses than any manager at this level, 6-700 games in the PL and 80 odd international caps, played in World Cups, European Cups etc, yet was laughed at by many, who wanted Bellamy in who hasn’t achieved half as much? If someone who has played under Wenger, Hoddle, Venables etc could get an extra 5-10% out of training, coaching with our level of players, isn’t that worth looking at rather than an up and coming or experienced lower league manager who has not got the benefit of experiencing world class coaching whilst he was playing?
Posted via mobile theme
Old 19th April 2018, 01.09:00   #39-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: GUS Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown View Post
Fair point but if he'd have got promoted from League 2, he probably wouldn't be managing at this level. He's got good experience and seems to do a decent job for the most part. Honestly at this point I'm out of options.

Our dilemma is do we take a manager who has good football league/NL experience which let's face it are few and far between and don't always work out, i.e. Mills. Or do we take another punt on another up and coming which had mixed results with our last outing. Tough one for the board, not envious of being in their position tbh.
Very tough decision. If Morrell had got us promoted, we wouldn't be playing at this level lol.
All joking aside, it is a dilemma. He does seem a bit more consistent than Mills was, but looking over his overall career it doesn't quite cut it. Whoever it is, I think we need to give them at least a full season without a knee-jerk sacking if things don't seem to go right (Wilkin is a case in point, he was building something good here, was a good boss at Nuneaton and has now virtually got Brackley promoted). But whoever come in at least doesn't have to start with a totally crap team. Not envious of the board, as you said.
Old 19th April 2018, 01.11:46   #40-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: GUS Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdWAFC View Post
We were talking in the pub tonight and Sol Campbell name came up again, and I know he was ridiculed a few weeks ago.

After thinking about it for a while, why has someone who has higher UEFA qualifications and licenses than any manager at this level, 6-700 games in the PL and 80 odd international caps, played in World Cups, European Cups etc, yet was laughed at by many, who wanted Bellamy in who hasn’t achieved half as much? If someone who has played under Wenger, Hoddle, Venables etc could get an extra 5-10% out of training, coaching with our level of players, isn’t that worth looking at rather than an up and coming or experienced lower league manager who has not got the benefit of experiencing world class coaching whilst he was playing?
Posted via mobile theme
Problem with Campbell is that he may have difficulty adjusting to the fact that the players we have will not be skilfull enough to follow what he wants to do. Plus he seems like a right arrogant sod. And, when he did drop down to 'lower league' football with Notts. Co. at the end of his career (when Sven was their manager) he lasted all of one game before deciding it wasn't for him and quitting. What's to say he wouldn't do the same here?
Old 19th April 2018, 05.07:39   #41-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: GUS

Would prefer Nigel Pearson, currently managing in Belgium 2nd division
Old 19th April 2018, 05.55:19   #42-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Used to be the back of the KOP!
Twitter: @@tomtitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi3973 View Post
Problem with Campbell is that he may have difficulty adjusting to the fact that the players we have will not be skilfull enough to follow what he wants to do. Plus he seems like a right arrogant sod. And, when he did drop down to 'lower league' football with Notts. Co. at the end of his career (when Sven was their manager) he lasted all of one game before deciding it wasn't for him and quitting. What's to say he wouldn't do the same here?
Sol Campbell was at the end of his playing days when he aged one game at Notts county. If he came here, he would be at the start of his managing career. I can't see him giving up on that after just one game. The only issue I can see with Campbell coming here is his knowledge of football at this level. He might have a good understanding of young players at the bigger clubs, that maybe we could get in on loan for the season, but we all know the young kids from clubs higher up take a while to adjust, and playing against men is completely different for them compared to the under 23 league they currently play at. This season has proven that you need players who can ruff it up a bit and give as good as they get, in your team to be successful. Your Pearsons, Wedgeburry, Manny, Jennings, Akil Wright and Roberts. These are the type of players you need. That's your foundation built already for next season.

If i was a manager looking for a job, Wrexham fc would be a very intresting job. Like I said, the foundations are built. All you need to do is finish it off with a couple of wingers, some strikers and a decent keeper.
Old 19th April 2018, 06.14:29   #43-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Would prefer Nigel Pearson, currently managing in Belgium 2nd division
Good call. He still has family in Shrewsbury too, so a nice local incentive.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 19th April 2018, 07.35:49   #44-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: The one that's not been sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
I’m very much of the view that a manager needs to work with his resources to get results. If that means stinking the place out with negative football, so be it. Solihull look guaranteed to be playing Conference football next season.
If you can guarantee me success with ugly football then I'll snap your hand off. If we can't be successful then let's be unsuccessful playing some nice football with some youth and energy. More mid table ugly football in this league would be crossing the line in the sand for me.
Old 19th April 2018, 07.57:15   #45-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
If you can guarantee me success with ugly football then I'll snap your hand off. If we can't be successful then let's be unsuccessful playing some nice football with some youth and energy. More mid table ugly football in this league would be crossing the line in the sand for me.
Sums it up perfectly. And giving yourself the best chance of success means recruiting strikers who can:

a) Hold the ball up from long hoofs
b) Find the back of the net.

We did neither which was why our "ugly" approach was doomed to failure from the start.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.37:22.