Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th April 2018, 14.28:35   #37-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: New manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Understand your point and its one well made.
If however we accept this, the board accept it and incoming players accept in then what will happen is that we will then find we are a mid to lower table National league team.

How many fans will continue to go week in week out if we simply say we are at best mid-table and whilst our League/European history was great then those days are gone and we should not expect to get back into the league as we have found our true level.

You might as well say as least you still have a club to support and that's the best you can expect.

Obviously this will be argued against because of attendances this season but if we accept there is no ambition (dare I use this word) then I think we will find this is a big turn off for a lot of fans.

We just CANNOT accept this is our level that isn't what football is all about, its about setting promotion goals and then trying to achieve them and get to the highest level you can and not just survive at the level that you are at.
Good post Pagl. The board and management have the ambition. Most of the fans do.
Old 19th April 2018, 14.35:13   #38-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Understand your point and its one well made.
If however we accept this, the board accept it and incoming players accept in then what will happen is that we will then find we are a mid to lower table National league team.

How many fans will continue to go week in week out if we simply say we are at best mid-table and whilst our League/European history was great then those days are gone and we should not expect to get back into the league as we have found our true level.

You might as well say as least you still have a club to support and that's the best you can expect.

Obviously this will be argued against because of attendances this season but if we accept there is no ambition (dare I use this word) then I think we will find this is a big turn off for a lot of fans.

We just CANNOT accept this is our level that isn't what football is all about, its about setting promotion goals and then trying to achieve them and get to the highest level you can and not just survive at the level that you are at.
Where I'd counter is that acceptance of my assessment doesn't necessarily lead to no ambition but means a desire to think differently. It's a hard sell to insist on, for example, a much greater integration towards a youth and bargain signing approach but then that depends on how well you do it (and when it comes to bargain signings that's where the likes of Macc and Accrington absolutely trounce us). The alternative is to keep doing what we've been doing for ten years, without a sniff of success for five. Or, and this is where it gets really complicated, if promotion quickly is so far ahead of anything else...well the club needs to be put up for sale surely? That's not what I want by the way. As it stands we clearly go all out for promotion but we're basically bringing a knife to a gun fight and hoping for the best.

Last edited by Junior Shabadoo; 19th April 2018 at 14.37:39..
Old 19th April 2018, 14.51:53   #39-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Side ( mostly )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmdoug View Post
Craig Harrison now thats a name that keeps cropping up.

it scares me to death that Carl Darlington will influence the board to take him on as team manager for next season.

as scary as it sounds i think it will happen .......................
My thoughts exactly eek!
Old 19th April 2018, 15.02:09   #40-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrwrexham View Post
I'm sure even you, don't believe that.
Not sure if I believe that will happen or not and what do you mean "even you " !!
I was told it was Askey by two different people last week who are usually reliable but lets wait and see shall we .
Old 19th April 2018, 15.26:59   #41-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

[QUOTE=1984;2135977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmdoug View Post
Craig Harrison now thats a name that keeps cropping up.

it scares me to death that Carl Darlington will influence the board to take him on as team manager for next season.

Adam Owen and Craig Harrison both scare me to death to be honest

Spencer knows better than that surely

Doesnt he ?
As a qualified coach who oversees the process of qualification to international standards, Carl Darlington is well placed to assist in the process. He can ask the right questions and "interrogate" candidates to try and cut through the BS.
Ultimately the appointment will be down to the board.
It may be a cautious approach but I'd like to think it stacks the odds in favour of getting the right man for the job.

I don't for one minute believe that they would appoint a failure like Harrison.
Remember - Carl left TNS twice to help out here.

Last edited by Quay Red; 19th April 2018 at 15.29:11..
Old 19th April 2018, 15.55:59   #42-0 (permalink)
-

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2135984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

As a qualified coach who oversees the process of qualification to international standards, Carl Darlington is well placed to assist in the process. He can ask the right questions and "interrogate" candidates to try and cut through the BS.
It may be a cautious approach but I'd like to think it stacks the odds in favour of getting the right man for the job.

It’s hardly like he has left Man Utd twice to drop down and join us. We need someone in charge who has a winning mentality.... we can ponder tactics over and over, but generally the team with the best players wins the most games.
Old 19th April 2018, 15.56:44   #43-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
There an even more unpalatable way of seeing it; that there isn't anything fundamentally "wrong" at the club but mid-table in the Conference is now our place. That hasn't got through to people because we're traditionally a League club, we have the number of fans a league club has and the noises the club makes are still about promotion. But the talk of a top five budget has stopped (comments from Spencer Harris and Sam Wedgbury point to this not being the case anymore) and beyond a headline grabbing signing or two (like Shaun Pearson) there is no football infrastructure to support promotion; no big wages for more than a handful of players, a tiny first team squad, no reserve team, no connection to a youth setup of any note and a makeshift training ground. This is us now and promotion would be punching above our weight, like it or not. Chucking everything at our first team squad, including another go at BTB, and expecting promotion is close to deluded. We need to do something different but I doubt fans or board have the stomach to face that.
Yet we somehow topped the league two thirds of the way through the season.
Old 19th April 2018, 16.26:02   #44-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Excellent Idea

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2135984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Carl Darlington's qualifications aren't in question, I concur that we're lucky to be able to call upon that experience.

In that context I hesitate to ask the following, but the best interests of the club must come first.

I may be doing his professionalism and impartiality a disservice but given that he's reportedly a fan and employed by the club (albeit on a part-time basis), is it in his interest to recommend a manager whose backroom set-up has no place for him?
Old 19th April 2018, 16.39:49   #45-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by draigwrecsam View Post
Assensio as assistant to the legendary Glen Little!
I have mentioned Glen Little before and people have scoffed. Yes he is a rookie but he was doing his badges and would have good contacts. He would need some experience to support. But I don't think it would be such a daft appointment.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.13:19.