Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st April 2018, 09.03:32   #10-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: What makes Wrexham AFC the great club it is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzock View Post
I've been watching for 50 years, so have seen those times, and enjoyed the glorious memories, coming out of the ground buzzing after yet another Cup win. It makes me sad that the younger supporters missed out on those times, and in all probability will never experience them.

To me though, the Welsh elements do not make us a great club. Does the fact that we repeatedly won a trophy in a very small pool of clubs make us a greater club than, say, Crewe? If there was a Cheshire cup, would Crewe winning it make them great? Not for me.

Great memories though.
As it happens, our history stands up very well against Crewe, who participated in the Welsh Cup for many years, but were less-frequent winners than us, they won the Cheshire Senior Cup several times, and the Cheshire Premier Cup too:

Welsh Cup Winners 1936, 1937 (They were banned from the competition after that.)

Cheshire Senior Cup Winners 1910, 1912, 1913, 1923, 2002, 2003

Cheshire Premier Cup Winners 2009, 2010

I still don't regard them as being better overall than Wrexham though, despite the league differences in the last few of your 50 years' support of Wrexham.

Our senior cup and league record against them shows that it is only relatively recently that they have obtained better results against us - but these came to a halt in 2003

In those competitions, our record against them is: W 42, D 34 L 42

If you haven't already, I suggest you refresh your memory about Wrexham's achievements - not just confined to the Welsh elements that seem to embarrass you for some unfathomable reason. The English Premiership is also contested by a very small pool of clubs each season (many being the same old, same old, names.) I doubt that you think of that fact quite as disparagingly. I guess that some might feel the same way about the FA Cup nowadays judging by the below-par sides that some clubs put out in the early stages of the competition, and only take it seriously when it leads on to European competition. You'll remember that our own exploits in Europe led directly from the Welsh Cup - so let's not belittle the competition, as it is the stuff that some of our proudest moments are made of.

The Cheshire cups were competed for by relatively lowly opponents for Crewe: with only Stockport, Chester, Tranmere, Altrincham and Macclesfield having represented League clubs in the modern age, but we have won the Welsh Cup against Cardiff, Swansea (including seasons when they were in leagues above Wrexham) Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Chester, Newport, Hereford, and when Bristol City and Bristol Rovers played in the competition too.

I appreciate that you supported the club for 50 years. I started attending matches in 1956, and can recall being teased by my granddad (a fan too, but with leanings towards Arsenal - not that he ever saw the latter play!) He told me on many occasions that the Racecourse should be ploughed and potatoes planted instead... I think we may have had a few vegetables on the pitch since he died in 1966, but I'm still proud to say that Wrexham is my team, wherever I go in the world.
Old 21st April 2018, 09.07:43   #11-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzock View Post
I've been watching for 50 years, so have seen those times, and enjoyed the glorious memories, coming out of the ground buzzing after yet another Cup win. It makes me sad that the younger supporters missed out on those times, and in all probability will never experience them.

To me though, the Welsh elements do not make us a great club. Does the fact that we repeatedly won a trophy in a very small pool of clubs make us a greater club than, say, Crewe? If there was a Cheshire cup, would Crewe winning it make them great? Not for me.

Great memories though.
There is certainly a Cheshire Cup. In years gone by it was as treasured as The Welsh Cup. Those competing were Chester Tranmere Crewe Stockport plus a large number of then strong non league clubs such as Altrincham, Runcorn, Witton oh and the list goes on. It was indeed a strong competition.

In order to make up numbers of decent teams The Welsh Cup had to import teams from over the border with Shrewsbury, Chester, Hereford, Kidderminster and even Bristol City plus others taking part.

Unfortunately the County Cups and Welsh Cup have declined in importance. Does anyone follow the Welsh cup anymore? and this years Cheshire Senior is being played on what is no better than a a park somewhere in Halton.
Old 21st April 2018, 10.43:07   #12-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

(info)

Racecourse Spot: none given

Does having 'Massive Floodlights' help?
Old 21st April 2018, 10.47:42   #13-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrexhamexile View Post
Does having 'Massive Floodlights' help?
Only one answer for me.

The Supporters. Second to none.
Old 21st April 2018, 10.53:18   #14-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

The previous poster who trotted out all the stats about Crewe missed my point. The point being that winning a trophy in a small pool of clubs does not make you great. It makes you successful now and again, but great? No.

And no way am I embarrassed by the Welsh element for any reason, unfathomable or not. Those wins were magic, especially if against Cardiff. The entry into Europe was a bonus, and gave us opportunities denied to better clubs not involved in the Welsh cup.

Circumstances of location rather than greatness, but still very welcome.
Old 21st April 2018, 10.54:35   #15-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldroadred View Post
Bit like Man Ure supporters “20 times, 20 times...... I say”

Or Liverfool 5 times, 5 times, I say 😂

I posted that because this is a Wrexham thread not a rich multimillionaire clubs thread.

As to the thread I agree with the thread O.p
Posted via mobile theme
Old 21st April 2018, 12.02:55   #16-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

History only tells a story.....

Id add nit just the FPA but numerous supporters groups dotted around the suutounding area too.
Old 21st April 2018, 12.19:43   #17-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

An interesting question WAFC1926.

If you were a young whippersnapper I would say very little other than it being your home team. After all, there has been very little on the pitch to make a song and dance about for many a moon.

The off pitch saving of the club has been essential but hardly sufficient.

The 1970s were clearly the pinnacle of our history, with world-class teams visiting the Racecourse in those epic ECWC battles. But for me, the one game that justifies our ‘great club’ badge was the 3-2 win at Spurs in 1974(?). And then to see Graham Whittle smash home the first goal at the Villa in the next leg. But as in nearly all cases with Wrexham, it was short-lived as we were trounced 1-5.

Maybe, with foresight, our true greatness will be next season, when we take the league by the balls and have it won by the end of March, having played fast, open football and scored lots of goals. I would gladly erase all the past glories if that could happen, for our younger fans would then have their great memories to share over a beer or two!
Old 21st April 2018, 13.56:35   #18-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumpadinks a RED View Post
History only tells a story.....

Id add nit just the FPA but numerous supporters groups dotted around the suutounding area too.
You are right about the fantastic work carried out by the various Supporters' groups. I had 30 years on the Supporters Association committee so am well aware of the hard work put in by generally unsung heroes. I mentioned the FPA to illustrate how deeply our former players love the Club. The future may be challenging but we can achieve our goals if we all work together.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.29:32.