Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th April 2018, 11.47:55   #37-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: On the centre spot
Twitter: @

Default Re: This has been a good season

If you think this has been a good season, then you are easily pleased.

I can't remember one match in which we were dominant. I can't remember one match that I enjoyed, apart from both Chester games but only for the result not the performance. Our league position for most of the season was flattering. Only 5 teams have scored fewer goals than us (4 of those in the bottom 6), however, we have the best defensive record in the division. Goals win games - unfortunately, we haven't scored enough. This has been obvious all season, so why hasn't this been addressed? Buying or loaning strikers is pointless unless they get good service, so we have to be looking at the midfield. If we want to mount a serious promotion push, we have to strengthen midfield along with our forward options - perhaps even the two full backs to add a further attacking option. It's not that the forwards are missing loads of opportunities to score, they don't get many because they don't get the service.

This season, our position that we are now in is probably right. We are not good enough - simple
Old 24th April 2018, 11.48:48   #38-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2309 View Post
I would like to see us adopt a 3-5-2 formation but the change in personnel required may be a factor in this.
I think a 3 man midfield is essential.
However I think personnel for a 433 are easier to get than a 352
Old 24th April 2018, 11.49:19   #39-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
If you think this has been a good season, then you are easily pleased.

I can't remember one match in which we were dominant. I can't remember one match that I enjoyed, apart from both Chester games but only for the result not the performance. Our league position for most of the season was flattering. Only 5 teams have scored fewer goals than us (4 of those in the bottom 6), however, we have the best defensive record in the division. Goals win games - unfortunately, we haven't scored enough. This has been obvious all season, so why hasn't this been addressed? Buying or loaning strikers is pointless unless they get good service, so we have to be looking at the midfield. If we want to mount a serious promotion push, we have to strengthen midfield along with our forward options - perhaps even the two full backs to add a further attacking option. It's not that the forwards are missing loads of opportunities to score, they don't get many because they don't get the service.

This season, our position that we are now in is probably right. We are not good enough - simple
Torquay at home. Thats your lot.
Old 24th April 2018, 11.53:37   #40-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congy Red View Post
Still a lot of observations along the lines of 'death to all with responsibility for our failure'. Few willing to admit this is better than the last two seasons? Few willing to admit any progress?.

Wrexham have never had a team full of stars to my mind (I started watching in 1976 and that era was the closest) that is why I chose the words 'good' and 'quite good' . I am trying to convey my belief, backed up by our results, that we aren't a long way off success. Why would you rip up a squad that is about five points light of success?
How can you say that? Progress? We might have progressed in terms of points over the last two seasons, but in terms of entertainment - no, we haven't.

We are miles away from success - 5 points light we may well be, but we wouldn't survive in league 2. We don't play good enough football to be successful with this squad.
Old 24th April 2018, 11.54:50   #41-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
Torquay at home. Thats your lot.
Sorry, 1 in 46. Perhaps I should count my blessings!
Old 24th April 2018, 11.55:34   #42-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmdoug View Post
Harsh
But true...
Old 24th April 2018, 12.00:01   #43-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: The Bell End

This season has been the most boring football I have ever witnessed, if you have enjoyed that you are clearly insane.
Old 24th April 2018, 12.12:12   #44-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

I agree with standman I have lost faith with the team I have supported for sixty years, they have not entertained the fans,the football has been boring but effective until the manager left,and if part of the deal for the new manager is that he takes on Davies things will not improve. We have tried various managers who have all failed , so that's me finished as a supporter but obviously a fan for ever.This has definitely not been a good season .
Old 24th April 2018, 12.14:01   #45-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
Don't disagree about Dunn being poor but he kept Jalal out of the side and look what he has gone & done won the league, Dunn is a good shot stopper but doesn't command his area punches balls he should catch, rarely leaves the goal line.. But one of the worst ever here??? Belford? The tree? Without naming them all.

Agree about only the 2 centre halves being good enough to keep.
Posted via mobile theme
On the face of it you're right.
I believe that with a decent midfield, most of our problems would have disappeared.
We allowed teams to press us and defended deep putting pressure on defenders and the goalkeeper.
He may not be a world beater but at this level is better than most. If the defence had played 10 yards further up he'd have had a chance to command his area. This doesn't exonerate him from the errors made, just trying to put some context into the situation.
Similarly, the other end, the business end, of the field. Boden and Holroyd were our starting pairing. Holroyd got injured. Shape went to hell, no support from midfield. Relied on goals from set pieces and prayed we could hold out.
Boden, agree he's a bit on the slow side but stands out as a footballer in this side, mind you he's not got a lot of competition.
Still maintain that the most fluid we've been in attack was when Miller came on loan with Boden and Holroyd playing just behind him, it closed the gap between midfield and forwards. Quigley came in, we started well with the same formation and then (for footballing reasons) drop Boden. Season went well and truly downhill.
Very hard to judge who to keep based on the type of football played.
The new manager will I hope address the obvious weaknesses.
I don't believe we need wholesale changes but need players in the right position capable of doing their jobs.
Like everyone on this board I have players that I like more than others but if there's a Wrexham X1 on the field they get my full support.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.34:39.