Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th May 2018, 10.03:16   #1-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default I'm starting to worry...

I am usually all for giving managers time to settle in and a chance to prove themselves- I even gave Gary Mills the benefit of the doubt after signing that pile of dross.

However I am slowly getting very concerned for this season and the appointment of Ricketts. Before we even start looking at his decisions so far I am also concerned with the board giving him a 3 year deal as I honestly believe he won't last the season with us!

1st point of concern - He wanted to keep all backroom staff and so far Oakes and Davies have both decided to move to Walsall. This isn't the end of the world but the fact he's waiting to find his perfect number 2 really concerns me. He surely knows who he wants and needs them in place to start putting together a plan for the upcoming season.

2nd point of concern - The size of the squad! I agree we need quality over quantity but an 18 man squad is to small we are an injury and a suspension off not being able to fill our bench. On top of this if he counts Leo Smith and Doug Tharme in that 18 then I really worry for the quality of the squad.

3rd point of concern - I am a big believer in recruiting early doors. It straight away shows you know who you want and you can persuade them to play for you. I look at our good seasons/ players signed and we have had a good number of them in before June!

Saunders signed the likes of Keates very early in the window in our 98 point season. Keates himself had Holroyd and Pearson in early doors last season.
Wilkin signed Jennings early on after his goal scoring spell at Macc

Comparing that to Morells dithering in every window saying he's not going to sign just any players and Mill's throwing together a squad of Bakare and Powell!

4th point of concern- Letting Wedgebury go! - You have to be naive to think the Chesterfield deal wasn't in place before he was released his contract. Make them pay for him! If they don't pay for him then keep him! He works tirelessly for the team and I don't think that would change even if he was unhappy about his commute. On top of that losing Wedge is a blow to us but also straightens a promotion rival.

5th point - He wants young hungry players- sounds great in theory, in practice I want conference shithouses who are in refs ears all game, using there experience to win games. Keates and Pearson are classic examples of this. We have been in this league for 10 years and I want to get out of it and I don't care how we do it. I look at the players opposition fans hate and they are all very experienced players who aren't afraid to play dirty in order to win (McNulty, Read, Anderade to name just a few). These young hungry players from prem or championship clubs are playing a different game in the conference and get found out very quickly 9 times out of 10.

You only have to look at Macc and Tranmere this season to realise they have a conference proven players in a team and don't carry players for the ride because they were in there youth set up etc.

I hope Sam proves me wrong but for me all the signs are in place for a mid-table finish. The only saving grace is he has a good core of the squad from last season unless he decides to release anymore from there contracts
Old 27th May 2018, 10.07:37   #2-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

Default Re: I'm starting to worry...

Ditto.
Old 27th May 2018, 10.08:12   #3-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Paddock

Have a day off already
Old 27th May 2018, 10.09:00   #4-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info)

Racecourse Spot: none given

Patience is not simply the ability to wait - its how we behave while we're waiting.

Calm down - wait and see
Old 27th May 2018, 10.09:13   #5-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREXHAM TID View Post
I am usually all for giving managers time to settle in and a chance to prove themselves- I even gave Gary Mills the benefit of the doubt after signing that pile of dross.

However I am slowly getting very concerned for this season and the appointment of Ricketts. Before we even start looking at his decisions so far I am also concerned with the board giving him a 3 year deal as I honestly believe he won't last the season with us!

1st point of concern - He wanted to keep all backroom staff and so far Oakes and Davies have both decided to move to Walsall. This isn't the end of the world but the fact he's waiting to find his perfect number 2 really concerns me. He surely knows who he wants and needs them in place to start putting together a plan for the upcoming season.

2nd point of concern - The size of the squad! I agree we need quality over quantity but an 18 man squad is to small we are an injury and a suspension off not being able to fill our bench. On top of this if he counts Leo Smith and Doug Tharme in that 18 then I really worry for the quality of the squad.

3rd point of concern - I am a big believer in recruiting early doors. It straight away shows you know who you want and you can persuade them to play for you. I look at our good seasons/ players signed and we have had a good number of them in before June!

Saunders signed the likes of Keates very early in the window in our 98 point season. Keates himself had Holroyd and Pearson in early doors last season.
Wilkin signed Jennings early on after his goal scoring spell at Macc

Comparing that to Morells dithering in every window saying he's not going to sign just any players and Mill's throwing together a squad of Bakare and Powell!

4th point of concern- Letting Wedgebury go! - You have to be naive to think the Chesterfield deal wasn't in place before he was released his contract. Make them pay for him! If they don't pay for him then keep him! He works tirelessly for the team and I don't think that would change even if he was unhappy about his commute. On top of that losing Wedge is a blow to us but also straightens a promotion rival.

5th point - He wants young hungry players- sounds great in theory, in practice I want conference shithouses who are in refs ears all game, using there experience to win games. Keates and Pearson are classic examples of this. We have been in this league for 10 years and I want to get out of it and I don't care how we do it. I look at the players opposition fans hate and they are all very experienced players who aren't afraid to play dirty in order to win (McNulty, Read, Anderade to name just a few). These young hungry players from prem or championship clubs are playing a different game in the conference and get found out very quickly 9 times out of 10.

You only have to look at Macc and Tranmere this season to realise they have a conference proven players in a team and don't carry players for the ride because they were in there youth set up etc.

I hope Sam proves me wrong but for me all the signs are in place for a mid-table finish. The only saving grace is he has a good core of the squad from last season unless he decides to release anymore from there contracts
I imagine it will be a squad of 18 then padded out with loans
Old 27th May 2018, 10.12:31   #6-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorporix View Post
Patience is not simply the ability to wait - its how we behave while we're waiting.

Calm down - wait and see
I am all for patience - we have been in this league for 10 years but a promotion winning squad is built in the summer window. If you don't get the recruitment right then it doesn't matter how good a coach you are.
Old 27th May 2018, 10.18:26   #7-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Cold Road Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREXHAM TID View Post
I am all for patience - we have been in this league for 10 years but a promotion winning squad is built in the summer window. If you don't get the recruitment right then it doesn't matter how good a coach you are.
My be that's what he doing behind the scenes, talking to the right people. Not publicising what he doing, not letting other clubs know who he talking to.
Old 27th May 2018, 10.22:47   #8-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale

Plenty of contracts, both for players and coaching staff, will end at the beginning of June.

I think we’ll see some movement then.
Old 27th May 2018, 10.24:57   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagg View Post
My be that's what he doing behind the scenes, talking to the right people. Not publicising what he doing, not letting other clubs know who he talking to.
I hope you're right but if players want to play for you then I think they sign fairly quickly. I am not expecting a full squad but one or two new faces should be through the door by now.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.42:57.