Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th May 2018, 15.07:51   #31-0 (permalink)
Trialist

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: Accessible Away Travel - Help Needed !!

Attention Please -
If you are interested in using Accessible Away Travel if it can be put in place, would you please make yourself known to me. Will you be interested in regular away travel or infrequently. As you are all aware this has been almost an impossible task and I now need to know that regularly the demand would be there!!
Old 7th July 2018, 17.08:48   #32-0 (permalink)
Trialist

Not Set Click To Change

I always said after previously telling everyone on RP about trying to achieve Wheelchair Accessible Away Travel, that I would come back to you all with facts and figures and news of whether this would be a possible task, well sadly I don't think this is going to be possible this season 18/19.

Just to give you all some facts, I have spent months and months of work on this and estimate I have made around 100 phone calls trying to get this service up and running. I finally found a company who couldn't have been more helpful to try and accommodate our needs at Wrexham AFC.

The price they came back with, which was to offer the wheelchair accessible away travel to every away game this season, which as you are all aware is far and wide due to the league this season. The price was coming in at £11,000, now that figure seems massive. However, as we are this season travelling over 8160 miles approx to our away games, this works out at £1.34 per mile, which includes a Driver, Fuel and Vehicle Hire and I’m sure you will agree that is simply an amazing deal. This was also, I might add the cheapest price I got back by some considerable amount from other companies that I rang. At this point I felt very defeated because I had finally found a company able and willing to provide this service and they even, very kindly offered that we could pay at the end of the season, giving us more time to raise the money, But I'm sure you would all agree I couldn't possibly commit that amount of money out at this point when we only have the means to charge 8 people travelling .

Anyway, instead of giving up at this point, I thought if we can offer ANY service it would be far better than the service we currently have, which is non existent. So I now thought if I go back to the company and ask for a revised price to do the closest 6/7 away games. They came back to me pricing £1510.00 to attend the closest 6/7 away games, with the thought that we could take 4 wheelchair users and 4 carers and provide a limited service for this season, We were going to charge in line with the football clubs official travel, which we would still mean we would be running at a lose. However, realising how much work I have done in getting this service up and running for wheelchair fans and how passionate I have been about it working, Mr Geoff Scott Commercial Manager at Wrexham AFC very kindly offered to pick up the short fall for this season to enable me to get this service off the ground in a limited way. That then giving me 12 months to look into how I could raise the money to get the full service up and running for every game next season. Because if this service is going to be provided to every away game of a season, we would have to fully fund it, and I thought If this season the service works well and it is a success and the demand is there, this could be possible by next year.

However, to even get close to the price it's costing even for travelling to 6/7 away games, we would need to charge everyone travelling on the mini bus, So I have spoke to numerous wheelchair users to explain that if they are interested in using the away travel this would be how we can make it work and each and every person I have spoken to seemed quite happy regarding this and said they were definitely still interested in using the service.

Sadly it has been brought to my attention recently by a RP member that I am unable to charge Carers as this is not fair. So sadly this service is going to fall at the 1st hurdle because I simply cannot provide a service on 4 paying passengers, it is simply impossible!!. So I guess this is why this service has never been possible before, and to everyone who has shown interest in the accessible away travel, I am very sorry I am having to let you all down. I have done my very best for you all.
Old 7th July 2018, 17.13:52   #33-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Carers should pay for their seat on the minibus it's just common sense. Why are you not able to charge carers sounds a bit dim that if you ask me!
Old 7th July 2018, 17.14:52   #34-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: On the left bank

Sounds like you have made a huge effort on this.

And put a great deal of energy into it.

Have you considered raising sponsorship to contribute towards the costs ?

Apologies if you have already tried that route, but it seems a great shame that it can't be resolved.

I would be honoured to put £100 towards it as a start.
Old 7th July 2018, 17.20:04   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el poncho View Post
Sounds like you have made a huge effort on this.

And put a great deal of energy into it.

Have you considered raising sponsorship to contribute towards the costs ?

Apologies if you have already tried that route, but it seems a great shame that it can't be resolved.

I would be honoured to put £100 towards it as a start.
I think she is saying if carers pay their way then the scheme can go ahead. Simple solution is to find out why carers cannot pay and fix that?
Old 7th July 2018, 17.22:09   #36-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: On the left bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
I think she is saying if carers pay their way then the scheme can go ahead. Simple solution is to find out why carers cannot pay and fix that?
I think you may find that the law prevents charging carers as its effectively charging a disabled person twice.
Old 7th July 2018, 17.30:10   #37-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Carers should pay for their seat on the minibus it's just common sense. Why are you not able to charge carers sounds a bit dim that if you ask me!
If you were disabled and had to pay for yourself and your carer, maybe you’d think differently?
Old 7th July 2018, 17.35:56   #38-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Disabled person pays, carer usually goes free. I think the relevant act is the Equality Act 2010
Old 7th July 2018, 17.42:07   #39-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Not Set Click To Change

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el poncho View Post
I think you may find that the law prevents charging carers as its effectively charging a disabled person twice.
The benefit system is very complicated but most individuals will recieve what used to be called mobilty allowance for travelling and mobility..And in addition if they recieve attendance allowance that is payable towards the care that they may require.For example my parents each recieve about £100 per week for care and mobilty.
Old 7th July 2018, 17.50:27   #40-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
If you were disabled and had to pay for yourself and your carer, maybe you’d think differently?
Not really, 2 people travel to a game 2 travel costs need to be paid.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - WORLD CUP 2018 FORUM - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.37:50.