RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Accessible Away Travel - Help Needed !! (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/111948-accessible-away-travel-help-needed.html)

Official DLO 24th May 2018 10.13:21

Accessible Away Travel - Help Needed !!

Asking for help, Please !! - I have been working behind the scenes for a couple of months now trying to sort adapted wheelchair travel to offer our disabled fans transport to away games. I have made over 40 phone calls, to local nursing homes, schools that have adapted buses, company's that have adapted coaches and the list goes on and on.....At the moment sadly I can't get anyone who is offering to provide this service. If anyone can offer me advice, ideas or contacts I would be extremely grateful. It seems at the moment, it is an impossible task, but I haven't given up yet !!
Thank you so much in advance

Hightown Brymbo Red 24th May 2018 10.39:55

Re: Accessible Away Travel - Help Needed !!

Ring Utd city Everton or Liverpool they have disabled sections as part of their club.They may have their own transport or will know where to get it from...Good luck

BillEBadass 24th May 2018 10.44:55

Keep trying ODLO - you are doing a grand job.

It is worth checking with major contributors, 'Children in Need' 'Lottery' etc on the grounds they supply schools with mini-buses. Sometimes these specify school business but also include 'community use' 'As schools rarely get requests for 'community use' they sometimes 'forget' this is a condition of the gift.

It is also worth considering the composition of the group of wheelchair users. How many would need to travel in their chairs? How many can make a safe transfer into a bus seat?
It would be very rare to come across a mini bus which could accommodate even four people travelling in their chairs but even then if only two travelled and three or four had transferred to seats you would need the extra room for their chairs.

Would it be worth considering a joint bid for a bus with our own inclusive football club or even another local team eg Chester (they could take all their supporters in the spare seats).
Personally I'd try and discuss this with Mike Harris (TNS) again a joint bid but maybe with matched funding. A bus could be used for 'normal' purposes during the week and take on its special configuration at weekends.

The training required to qualify as a driver is mostly common sense and relates specifically to strapping in and securing the chair - finding a course would not be a problem.

Finally just a thought for fellow posters - given life's uncertainties. any of could at some time need to use a wheelchair or have serious mobility problems A quick glance at the DSA's platform and pitchside below and many will be surprised at how many of our loyal supporters require the use of a wheelchair. It would be great if we could help them access away games - keep up the good fight ODLO!

Haruki 24th May 2018 10.57:59

Dynamic have a couple of minibus suitable for transporting the disabled children they care for, may be worth a call to them

pagl 24th May 2018 12.45:56

Check with WrexhamO as he is clued up of these sort of things.

Poethlyn 24th May 2018 13.48:09

Have you tried the hospital they must have some way of bring in patients who require this kind of provision?

Ooh aah Paskin 24th May 2018 14.18:44

[QUOTE=Haruki;2147709]Dynamic have a couple of minibus suitable for transporting the disabled children they care for, may be worth a call to them[/QUOTE]

Good call, I have seen them in action and they might be what you are after..

Teifi Red 24th May 2018 14.24:48

Locally around here there re several minibuses specifically for wheelchair users owned by the Council for transporting clients to day/care centres.
Could be another source of information as they also hire out community buses for organisations too.

Cymro 24th May 2018 15.20:32

We used to use the ones from Pendine Park. I'm guessing you've already tried them but just in case. We used them for Wembley and Stoke.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 02.53:09.