Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th June 2018, 16.14:21   #111-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale Kop end
Twitter: @

Default Re: Resolution D - Bring Back Rockin Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugolini View Post
Wrex the dragon A name which reflects our Welsh identity

We have robins here in Wales too. Saw one in my garden recently!! Let's have Robin back!! (perhaps with a new bike).
I once thought we should be called The Robins again . Because thats what we were ,when I was a lad!
But I honestly think that the Dragons says it all for me !!
BUT, there would be nothing wrong with Rockin Robin making an appearance every now and again . Wrex could chase him round the pitchside
Old 6th June 2018, 18.45:48   #112-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: Middle of ERS in front of 12th man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
I don't recall the fanbase being consulted or any vote on a resolution to ditch Rockin and replace him with a Dragon - I stand to be corrected.
I suggest we didn't have one because in reality Rockin would have been the winner - instead the dragon was steamrolled through under the heading of 'rebranding'.

I agree about not wasting too much club time and essentially money on making changes - but, tongue in cheek whilst we are happy to celebrate our heritage and discovery that we were formed in 1864 we were far to quick to distance ourselves from our traditional nickname 'The Robins'.

Cardiff are still the Bluebirds, Swansea the Swans - they for some reason didn't rush off to rebrand themselves using a dragon so why did we ?
It was changed after a fans vote in the Leader
Old 6th June 2018, 18.57:10   #113-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: The Kop...I wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbobisback View Post
Pretty sure it was an online vote. I certainly remember voting online.
Old 6th June 2018, 18.58:48   #114-0 (permalink)
Trialist

Racecourse Spot: Old tech end

When I was younger I was in the junior reds not the dragons our nickname smacks too much of a South Wales influence
We've gone down the pan since we inherited that idiotic nickname
And why can't we have Wrexham lager in rather than that crap my racecourse they sponsor us for gods sake.
I for one have voted for Wrex to be made redundant and bring Robin Robin and Tina back on a modified contract if we sack him now in the close season we can bring both back so Wrex cant claim unfair dismissal he won't have union representation
Instead of match mascots we call them match promoters different job title so he won't have a leg to stand on
Old 6th June 2018, 19.04:03   #115-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: The Kop...I wish!

Quote:
Cardiff are still the Bluebirds, Swansea the Swans - they for some reason didn't rush off to rebrand themselves using a dragon so why did we ?
Err...Cardiff were re-branded as the dragons, from 2012-2015. One of Vincent Tan's wonderful ideas.
Old 6th June 2018, 21.22:30   #116-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: none given

Vincent Tan changed quite a few things didn't he ? - the kit colour and club badge perhaps.

Always think of CCFC as 'the bluebirds', perhaps it's an age thing.
Agree with earlier posts - although we've never been termed 'Wrexham Town' as Ipswich the older generation did and still use the phrase 'Come on the Town'.

Imagine if were bestowed city status - don't think I would be happy at all with Wrexham City.
Old 6th June 2018, 21.32:31   #117-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbobisback View Post
Obviously not the Leader, or Wrexham, but in another town in the UK I was reliably told their local council was dead keen on city status and a reporter was sent out to get vox pops so the scribe could update the population on local views.

Once the feedback was gained from a range of people, things were brought back to the office and presented.

Sadly the strong anti-city status feeling in said town had come through, so a 'try again' message was issued as it did not fit the wishes of mysterious higher ups. Why such types would want to stay on message, and whos message, I never knew.

The article then presented the townsfolk as being dead keen on being a city, and the city status bid.

As I said, not Wrexham, and probably coming up to 9-10 years ago too, so it might not even have happened

I can't remember why I am telling this tale, so will now shush.
Old 6th June 2018, 22.24:02   #118-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

The name change from the Robins to the Dragons was at the start of people from outside the area getting involved in the club and was the idea of Christian Smith who saw the successful Rockin Robin as a reminder of his predecessor, Alan Thomas, who created the mascot. The vision was that when we played Cardiff or Swansea they would be viewed as supporting Wrexham if they held up the Welsh flag. The mainly internet based campaign was carried out with petitions carried out in favour of keeping the Robins being mysteriously lost. I believe less than 1000 votes were counted with many people believing the change just would not happen.
Wrexham Rugby Club had previously tried the same thing but dropped the idea after a while as it was a marketing disaster.
Dragon items can be bought anywhere, whereas The Robins could only be found in the shop at the Racecourse.
I can understand the greater appeal of the Dragons to people from outside the area but there are dozens of Dragon businesses in the North Wales area.. When the local papers carried the Robins in a headline there was no doubt that the article was going to be about Wrexham AFC.
Using Google to search produces 58,200,000 results for “The Robins” but 223,000,000 for “The Dragons”, Wrexham appeared on both searches.
A lot of people at the club did not want the change but voicing opinions at that time was not really an option.
If adopting the National flag is such a good idea why haven't any of the other teams adopted the Union Jack? On the subject of the mascots I don’t particularly like having a caricature of our National Emblem for the opposition to laugh at and the comments St.George slayed the Dragon.
Rockin Robin was regularly opening fetes and the Children easily related to him and there was no doubt he was the Wrexham FC Mascot whereas the Dragon identifies more with Wales?
Old 9th June 2018, 13.53:31   #119-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft

Default Re: Bring Back Rockin Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Why does the Board have to advise members, why not just let people vote?

As for 'the Dragons' distinguishing us from other clubs, to me it is the most default welsh thing possible.

From the 2001 press release ( Latest News ) Commercial Manager Christian Smith, who has spearheaded the change ... said "While tradition and traditional values should never be totally overlooked, Wrexham Football Club is entering a period in its history when changes need to happen with progress both on and off the field of play."

How did that decade go in the end?
I agree with this, its an abuse of the boards position to slap a comment on the bottom of it. Talk at the meeting like everyone else. When the board is popular you can get away with it. Try it when you're not!!
Old 9th June 2018, 15.05:11   #120-0 (permalink)
Legend

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Bring Back Rockin Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congy Red View Post
I agree with this, its an abuse of the boards position to slap a comment on the bottom of it. Talk at the meeting like everyone else. When the board is popular you can get away with it. Try it when you're not!!
I'd disagree with that. If the board feel a resolution would have a negative impact on the club then I would want them to speak up. Additionally, they can't leave their thoughts until the meeting as many members will be voting online prior to the meeting.

Why should the members making the resolution only be able to give their point of view? Surely it's more democratic that the board have their say as well, especially as they will be the ones who have to act in the result of a resolution being approved by members. Personally, I think it's good that people have debated this, and the other resolutions on social media. At least it shows people are engaged with the process and care about the clubs future direction.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - WORLD CUP 2018 FORUM - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.12:51.