Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th June 2018, 19.58:09   #181-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: ERS
Twitter: @

Default Re: Its all about money and we've got enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger Vance View Post
Stockport County went pearshaoed during fan ownership
Notts County Trust gave 93% of the club away to avoid admin
Chesterfield and York Trusts have up ownership
Chester just escaped going pear shaped
Portsmouth sold out of fan ownership

The Fan owned model has not been untroubled, but neither has private, its not the model that generally caused the problems, its the decisions made by the people running the clubs irrespective of what structure sits behind them keeping them on the throne of responsibility or its been unable to successfully trade out of parlous financial burdens.

Wimbledon is a good example of solid management and a structure that allows for quick capital raising. Whether they were private or fan owned you get the feeling they would be successful because they are well run.

People get hung up on fan or not fan but when you boil it all down its just business and that's done well and badly in pretty equal measure in football under all ownership structures.
I mentioned these failings elsewhere. Just because the above haven't entered administration doesn't mean they haven't become a complete mess.
How many fans owned clubs have failed ? Id say the % is pretty high. Certainly higher than the alternative.
Successes include Wimbledon and Pompey. Both have quickly involved outside investment and have given up big shares of ownership.
Failures include Telford/Chester/Stockport

Its true that bad management will lead to failure no matter what the model.
Good management is more than just spending within a budget though. Its making investments that will lead to greater income. Besides begging people to hand over more cash I can't see any investments. Youth team being one example of a potential way of earning good money (not just covering costs). A good scouting network is another. Haven't seen any thoughts on scouting for years.
Old 12th June 2018, 20.05:07   #182-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDJB View Post
I mentioned these failings elsewhere. Just because the above haven't entered administration doesn't mean they haven't become a complete mess.
How many fans owned clubs have failed ? Id say the % is pretty high. Certainly higher than the alternative.
Successes include Wimbledon and Pompey. Both have quickly involved outside investment and have given up big shares of ownership.
Failures include Telford/Chester/Stockport

Its true that bad management will lead to failure no matter what the modelu.
Good management is more than just spending within a budget though. Its making investments that will lead to greater income. Besides begging people to hand over more cash I can't see any investments. Youth team being one example of a potential way of earning good money (not just covering costs). A good scouting network is another. Haven't seen any thoughts on scouting for years.
I think the evidence is pretty overwhelming - fans owned clubs generally haven’t worked. Some exceptions, but that’s through extraordinary business or football management. The club board and owners, if they are genuine fans, need to face up to this reality and take a lead in advocating another route. Most fans will follow them and who knows what is out there.
Old 12th June 2018, 20.25:51   #183-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywelsh View Post
Bagger nice to see some much needed common sense!

Not every private investor is a Hamilton just like not every fan can manage a football club.

For me though i think too many people who have involvement with the club now will always back the current model as without it they know nobody will care.

If the council and welsh assembly backed the club with a public announcement that the ground cannot and will not ever be allowed to be anything other than a sporting venue and the club went partially or totally up for-sale ... would you be willing to listen to offers of investment or selling then aslong as they could prove the finance to move the club forward?
I advocated a long time ago creating a 2nd tranche of shares (around 25%) of 1 share 1 vote class b’s similar to Wimbledon. This group get a board place. It would create a new capital injection, offer a future route for more capital raising, offer oversight and checks and balance by duality while keeping a fan owned majority for whatever term is necessary.
Old 12th June 2018, 20.32:55   #184-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end

Quote:
I advocated a long time ago creating a 2nd tranche of shares (around 25%) of 1 share 1 vote class b’s similar to Wimbledon. This group get a board place. It would create a new capital injection, offer a future route for more capital raising, offer oversight and checks and balance by duality while keeping a fan owned majority for whatever term is necessary.
Old 12th June 2018, 21.05:13   #185-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
So what would the price per share be?
25% of what figure and therefore how many shares?
What would be the maximum %age 1 person could buy?
Which board would the group get a place on as 25% would seem a big number depending on how many shares?
I assume this would be a non-working board and the WST elected board would still continue?
I assume the shares would pay a dividend like any other share and the assumption would be that as fans we would donate it back to the club?

Personally I think the WAFC operational board needs to have the capital injection - in some way. However your suggestion would seem to address an immediate need for cash, however if used directly on the first team budget and once spent then its gone. I would therefore assume the capital would be used strategically and that is something the WST are currently struggling with.

I think the idea definitely has legs if presented the right way and it didn't go down the community share route which is now totally fked.
Old 12th June 2018, 21.26:01   #186-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

What if we could have a share issue to raise capital, that after promotion to league football, you could offer thenm back for sale to the club? Obviously not straight away and cash flow permitting....the only problem I see is when that money is gone it's most likely gone. Not all of our supporters could afford a cash lump sum every 5 years or so...

What if we could raise the cash to buy/pay up the lease on the racecourse? That way it immediately releases an extra £100k to the budget. Each shareholder then at least has a share of something worthwhile and not just a lump of cash that could be fritter away on players?

But then how did Macc do it on their budget?? Is it all about the right manager, the correct blend of players and a bit of luck?

Last edited by jonesfach; 12th June 2018 at 21.30:50..
Old 12th June 2018, 21.45:17   #187-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
What if we could have a share issue to raise capital, that after promotion to league football, you could offer thenm back for sale to the club? Obviously not straight away and cash flow permitting....the only problem I see is when that money is gone it's most likely gone. Not all of our supporters could afford a cash lump sum every 5 years or so...

What if we could raise the cash to buy/pay up the lease on the racecourse? That way it immediately releases an extra £100k to the budget. Each shareholder then at least has a share of something worthwhile and not just a lump of cash that could be fritter away on players?

But then how did Macc do it on their budget?? Is it all about the right manager, the correct blend of players and a bit of luck?
We are wrexham fans ... luck doesn’t happen here!
Old 12th June 2018, 21.48:30   #188-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I think the evidence is pretty overwhelming - fans owned clubs generally haven’t worked. Some exceptions, but that’s through extraordinary business or football management. The club board and owners, if they are genuine fans, need to face up to this reality and take a lead in advocating another route. Most fans will follow them and who knows what is out there.
It’s been 7 years and some people think it’s still going to suddenly work.
Old 12th June 2018, 21.54:16   #189-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywelsh View Post
It’s been 7 years and some people think it’s still going to suddenly work.
It can work......but could it be easier is the question? Of course investment will help make it easier. Have we got to that point yet? If not I think most will admit we need to start looking at some extra investment.

I think we all know what a mess Moss and Robberts left us in and how the road to balancing the books was the first objective. That is looking pretty reasonable so perhaps it's time to start looking at extra investment to get out of this league. With trying to compete with sugar daddy money it makes it extremely hard to get promotion.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.52:54.