RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Transfer rumours, speculation & associated discussion - summer 2018 (PART II) (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112088-transfer-rumours-speculation-associated-discussion-summer-2018-part-ii.html)

fugazi3973 28th June 2018 11.28:11

Re: Transfer rumours, speculation and associated discussion - summer 2018

[QUOTE=Jaded;2157207]Or maybe the professionals at the club signing him have some idea of his potential? I would generally trust the judgment of people working in football over that of random internet posters 99% of the time. (Gary Mills, etc, accounting for the other 1%!)[/QUOTE]

A good point. Which is why I qualified it with "So either a fair assessment of the kid, Chester fans not recognising talent, or sour grapes. Which do you think?"

welshian 28th June 2018 11.28:14

[QUOTE=WREX01;2157213]It’s not the owners that I’m worried about , it’s whether or not Ricketts is completely out of his depth. He knew what level we were at and our budget , I hope he hadn’t been too ambitious targeting players completely out of our reaches.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

That would appear to be the case and worse still it seems he has not been managed by the board at all. Could all be turned around of course but looking poor at the moment.

wxmdoug 28th June 2018 11.39:18

the orange god that is Gary Mills is available and ready to take the reins lol

Funny_Old_Game 28th June 2018 11.40:06

[QUOTE=WREX01;2157213]It’s not the owners that I’m worried about , it’s whether or not Ricketts is completely out of his depth. He knew what level we were at and our budget , I hope he hadn’t been too ambitious targeting players completely out of our reaches.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

And it all comes back down to knowledge of this league. Ricketts knows nothing about the league. And if he thinks he can get players to join us over League clubs then he’s deluded. I’m starting to think we should have poached Mark Yates before Askey left Macc.

short_gog 28th June 2018 11.49:21

SR has been a professional footballer for 16 years, so I don't get that he's "inexperienced", he'll be fully aware of how things work in the game, yes, he's never been top dog in a club but he would've seen a lot of different approaches (good and bad) to both internal club management and how to manage external expectations.

I'm not getting worried as we have a spine of a decent team, he's come in 8 weeks ago. He needs to understand the internal workings of the club, he needs to grasp the teams around us in this league, he needs to ascertain our players, he needs to scour the market for what's available, ignore the psychobabble from agents, identify his targets, negotiate with his targets agents, counteract other teams' offers, has to wait until contracts are up at the end of June (in most cases) oh and identify and negotiate his assistant manager and GK coach, whilst also gelling with the current coaches he has here.

Most would agree that is quite a lot to do in 8 weeks, particularly when in a majority of that time players/agents and clubs were down tooling and relaxing for a bit as it was the end of a long busy season......... just relax and enjoy the summer, he will come good.

rememberthegoodoldyears 28th June 2018 11.50:22

Jussi Jaaskelainen goalkeeper coach?

techender 28th June 2018 11.55:01

Not so sure.
I once knew a guy who was one of the best salesmen I had ever met.
Got promoted to Sales Director and was a total disaster.
Being good at one thing doesn't naturally give you the ability to be good at something else.
He may turn out to be the next Pep Guardiola, but that looks doubtful based upon the evidence so far.

BillEBadass 28th June 2018 11.58:25

Good post SG - a reasonable and logical argument.

My only hesitation would be your last line 'he will come good' - I think (and obviously hope) he 'may ' come good. my reservation being based on the fact he has no experience of this League and that could be a problem.

I'm sure we'll see movement in the next few weeks - we'll have a clearer picture then.

ted the red 28th June 2018 12.00:59

Sack the bloke who gives 3 year contracts out

I can see a march coming on!

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.06:35.