RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Transfer rumours, speculation & associated discussion - summer 2018 (PART II) (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112088-transfer-rumours-speculation-associated-discussion-summer-2018-part-ii.html)

smotyns 28th June 2018 10.33:17

Transfer rumours, speculation & associated discussion - summer 2018 (PART II)

[QUOTE=andyjack;2157138]What happened to fondop-talom signing?[/QUOTE]

Turned us down as we didn't match his ambition :jester:

dixienormous 28th June 2018 10.38:01

Re: Transfer rumours, speculation and associated discussion - summer 2018

We're a joke and we've been a joke for years on the pitch. I'm done with the current model. I'm pro WST and I think it could do well in the football league but it's clear it's taken us as far as it can go now, and we've become a circus act on the pitch. I'm fed up of inviting friends to come watch us only for them to ask me how I can do it every week.

Come on lets publicly announce the club is for sale.

Ooh aah Paskin 28th June 2018 10.51:18

Normally I try to be level headed and not worry too much about things.

But that latest statement about "maybe" signing someone rung alarm bells in my head.
Earlier this week he was positive he had done deals.

It is rapidly becoming to look from the outside in as a shambolic state of affairs. No Assistant yet has supposedly been sorted for a while. No players coming in of any quality, let alone the high quality Ricketts has spouted.

Discontent rising rapidly throughout the fanbase, Players wanting to leave (fair enough if its to a club higher up) but should we be fighting to keep these players? After all, when the retained list went out Ricketts obviously wanted them.

No backroom staff of note.

Communication from the club is contradictory, even in messages released on the same day.

If we don't start seeing QUALITY signings next week, I for one will be wondering is it worth turning up to watch next season when money could be spent elsewhere.

I know we should wait and judge him after several games, but he is not doing his status any good with this showing.

fugazi3973 28th June 2018 10.57:05

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2157059]The bitterness is getting boring now, you were set straight over on Deva chat on players not playing on merit and have decided to lift a couple of comments to make a sweeping statement to suit no doubt.

They've also received some cash too, straight from the managers mouth, so haven't done too badly at all.[/QUOTE]

That was all the comments. Giggity, stop with the ad hominem attacks, they're getting boring. There is no bitterness. I wasn't 'set straight', even their fans are saying he would probably not have played this season.

fugazi3973 28th June 2018 11.03:08

[QUOTE=Jaded;2157064]Are you suggesting that all forum posters are now experts in recognising talent? Because if so, we’re probably screwed for the upcoming season given how many RP members are critical of players like Dibble![/QUOTE]

Well seeing as the people on here saying he's brilliant aren't Chester fans, and will have seen him maybe once, are basing how good he was on comments of Chester fans, then surely the same applies? Couldn't that poster be the same and say he's good when in fact he wasn't.

We're all blinded by the draw of a home-grown player. It took me a long time to say that Robbie Evans was, in fact, really not very good at all.

Jaded 28th June 2018 11.08:18

[QUOTE=fugazi3973;2157206]Well seeing as the people on here saying he's brilliant aren't Chester fans, and will have seen him maybe once, are basing how good he was on comments of Chester fans, then surely the same applies? Couldn't that poster be the same and say he's good when in fact he wasn't.

We're all blinded by the draw of a home-grown player. It took me a long time to say that Robbie Evans was, in fact, really not very good at all.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe the professionals at the club signing him have some idea of his potential? I would generally trust the judgment of people working in football over that of random internet posters 99% of the time. (Gary Mills, etc, accounting for the other 1%!)

WREX01 28th June 2018 11.10:05

This has been an awful start by Sam.

No assistant
No goalkeeper coach
12 players (excluding Tharme)

Most depressing summer we’ve had in a long long time. I think somebody needs to remind Sam that pre season is for team bonding and the new players getting used to the team.

Farce !
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

dixienormous 28th June 2018 11.12:15

Any other owner and we'd be knocking doors down.

WREX01 28th June 2018 11.17:12

It’s not the owners that I’m worried about , it’s whether or not Ricketts is completely out of his depth. He knew what level we were at and our budget , I hope he hadn’t been too ambitious targeting players completely out of our reaches.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

fugazi3973 28th June 2018 11.28:11

[QUOTE=Jaded;2157207]Or maybe the professionals at the club signing him have some idea of his potential? I would generally trust the judgment of people working in football over that of random internet posters 99% of the time. (Gary Mills, etc, accounting for the other 1%!)[/QUOTE]

A good point. Which is why I qualified it with "So either a fair assessment of the kid, Chester fans not recognising talent, or sour grapes. Which do you think?"

welshian 28th June 2018 11.28:14

[QUOTE=WREX01;2157213]It’s not the owners that I’m worried about , it’s whether or not Ricketts is completely out of his depth. He knew what level we were at and our budget , I hope he hadn’t been too ambitious targeting players completely out of our reaches.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

That would appear to be the case and worse still it seems he has not been managed by the board at all. Could all be turned around of course but looking poor at the moment.

wxmdoug 28th June 2018 11.39:18

the orange god that is Gary Mills is available and ready to take the reins lol

Funny_Old_Game 28th June 2018 11.40:06

[QUOTE=WREX01;2157213]It’s not the owners that I’m worried about , it’s whether or not Ricketts is completely out of his depth. He knew what level we were at and our budget , I hope he hadn’t been too ambitious targeting players completely out of our reaches.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

And it all comes back down to knowledge of this league. Ricketts knows nothing about the league. And if he thinks he can get players to join us over League clubs then he’s deluded. I’m starting to think we should have poached Mark Yates before Askey left Macc.

short_gog 28th June 2018 11.49:21

SR has been a professional footballer for 16 years, so I don't get that he's "inexperienced", he'll be fully aware of how things work in the game, yes, he's never been top dog in a club but he would've seen a lot of different approaches (good and bad) to both internal club management and how to manage external expectations.

I'm not getting worried as we have a spine of a decent team, he's come in 8 weeks ago. He needs to understand the internal workings of the club, he needs to grasp the teams around us in this league, he needs to ascertain our players, he needs to scour the market for what's available, ignore the psychobabble from agents, identify his targets, negotiate with his targets agents, counteract other teams' offers, has to wait until contracts are up at the end of June (in most cases) oh and identify and negotiate his assistant manager and GK coach, whilst also gelling with the current coaches he has here.

Most would agree that is quite a lot to do in 8 weeks, particularly when in a majority of that time players/agents and clubs were down tooling and relaxing for a bit as it was the end of a long busy season......... just relax and enjoy the summer, he will come good.

rememberthegoodoldyears 28th June 2018 11.50:22

Jussi Jaaskelainen goalkeeper coach?

techender 28th June 2018 11.55:01

Not so sure.
I once knew a guy who was one of the best salesmen I had ever met.
Got promoted to Sales Director and was a total disaster.
Being good at one thing doesn't naturally give you the ability to be good at something else.
He may turn out to be the next Pep Guardiola, but that looks doubtful based upon the evidence so far.

BillEBadass 28th June 2018 11.58:25

Good post SG - a reasonable and logical argument.

My only hesitation would be your last line 'he will come good' - I think (and obviously hope) he 'may ' come good. my reservation being based on the fact he has no experience of this League and that could be a problem.

I'm sure we'll see movement in the next few weeks - we'll have a clearer picture then.

ted the red 28th June 2018 12.00:59

Sack the bloke who gives 3 year contracts out

I can see a march coming on!

smiffysarmy 28th June 2018 12.01:04

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2157210]Any other owner and we'd be knocking doors down.[/QUOTE]

Go for it then pal. Organise the protests instead of sitting at your computer.

midlandred 28th June 2018 12.16:26

Tim Flowers makes his second signing. Danny Wright for Solihull Moors

gazwxm 28th June 2018 12.31:22

[QUOTE=rememberthegoodoldyears;2157230]Jussi Jaaskelainen goalkeeper coach?[/QUOTE]
Ive heard the same, he’s probably better than Dibble ha

Rk11 28th June 2018 12.31:36

Brian Flynn has been sacked by Swansea. The new manager has sacked the entire scouting department.

smiffysarmy 28th June 2018 12.37:46

I try and be optimistic but will say so when im not happy. For example our 'style of play' and boretastic 'tactics' last season.

Still hoping that Ricketts knows exactly what he's doing and things will be fine, but there doesn't seem to be a sniff of another signing, and we need quite a few!.

LMH23 28th June 2018 12.38:45

[QUOTE=Rk11;2157252]Brian Flynn has been sacked by Swansea. The new manager has sacked the entire scouting department.[/QUOTE]

Wish we had him here as a DoF - though the cost of such a thing makes it just a dream. He'd be perfect to oversee an improvement in youth development and assist the manager with bringing in players.

I'm beginning to think somebody in such a role, helping to build a team that plays a consistent way and providing stability regardless of who was manager, would be the best way forward. Just look at the likes of Southampton and Swansea's rises (both prior to Prem-induced implosions), they had an in-house style of play which lasted through several different managers.

dixienormous 28th June 2018 12.54:39

[QUOTE=smiffysarmy;2157237]Go for it then pal. Organise the protests instead of sitting at your computer.[/QUOTE]

I can't I'm at work and I'll wait until August.

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 12.57:12

Ok despite me previously saying have patience and see who he signs this latest backtrack in today’s leader sounds as if he’s missed out on his primary targets.

He’s starting to sound like Morrell. So now I admit I’m concerned he’s out of his depth and has gone chasing players we realistically were never going to get. This is where football experience on the board could help but we have none.

However calling for the club to be put up for sale is absurd and just a daft overreaction.

jonesfach 28th June 2018 12.59:00

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157261]Ok despite me previously saying have patience and see who he signs this latest backtrack in today’s leader sounds as if he’s missed out on his primary targets.

He’s starting to sound like Morrell. So now I admit I’m concerned he’s out of his depth and has gone chasing players we realistically were never going to get. This is where football experience on the board could help but we have none.

However calling for the club to be put up for sale is absurd and just a daft overreaction.[/QUOTE]

Pretty obvious we missed out on Oswell. He will need time to sort his replacement out.

dixienormous 28th June 2018 13.00:24

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157261]Ok despite me previously saying have patience and see who he signs this latest backtrack in today’s leader sounds as if he’s missed out on his primary targets.

[B]However calling for the club to be put up for sale is absurd and just a daft overreaction.[/B][/QUOTE

Is it? If we are unable to afford the quality we require to challenge, I'd say it's reasonable.

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 13.00:49

[QUOTE=jonesfach;2157263]Pretty obvious we missed out on Oswell. He will need time to sort his replacement out.[/QUOTE]

Not to me it isn’t as I have no idea if we were even in for him.
He needs to stop talking to the papers and manage fans expectations better.

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 13.03:19

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2157265][QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157261]Ok despite me previously saying have patience and see who he signs this latest backtrack in today’s leader sounds as if he’s missed out on his primary targets.

[B]However calling for the club to be put up for sale is absurd and just a daft overreaction.[/B][/QUOTE

Is it? If we are unable to afford the quality we require to challenge, I'd say it's reasonable.[/QUOTE]

It is because he might sign some good players next week that give you a semi..If Macclesfield can get promoted I’m damn sure we can.

dixienormous 28th June 2018 13.06:59

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157267][QUOTE=dixienormous;2157265]

It is because he might sign some good players next week that give you a semi..If Macclesfield can get promoted I’m damn sure we can.[/QUOTE]

We shall see.

podders 28th June 2018 13.14:45

I cant help thinking this is us fans fault, if we had bought a nice gift for Luke Young and his family then it would have help to attract more players.

Redordead 28th June 2018 13.18:19

Sam Finley’s gone to Accrington

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 13.23:29

[QUOTE=podders;2157273]I cant help thinking this is us fans fault, if we had bought a nice gift for Luke Young and his family then it would have help to attract more players.[/QUOTE]

:crampe:
That thread was RP’s greatest ever brain fart I reckon. Just total and utter bollocks.

NottsRed 28th June 2018 13.24:51

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157267][QUOTE=dixienormous;2157265]

It is because he might sign some good players next week that give you a semi..If Macclesfield can get promoted I’m damn sure we can.[/QUOTE]

Macclesfield had an experienced manager with knowledge of the lower leagues who managed to get a low budget team to punch above there weight year in year out.

We have an unproven rookie manager who at this rate won’t be able to put out a full subs bench on Friday , hasn’t been able to sort an assistant or gk coach out and we still only have one striker.

Still were not a million miles away are we?

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 13.25:29

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2157269]

We shall see.[/QUOTE]

Must admit though Dixie I expected to see something by now and today’s comments by SR are worrying. He needs to say less and do more. Actions speak louder and all that.

KingBuxton_Forever red 28th June 2018 13.27:01

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157276]:crampe:
That thread was RP’s greatest ever brain fart I reckon. Just total and utter bollocks.[/QUOTE]

Why have I not seen this?

Phils-an-alki 28th June 2018 13.28:41

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2157283]Why have I not seen this?[/QUOTE]

Ozzyred’s greatest idea. Can’t remember the thread title now but I’m sure others will

Green Dragon 28th June 2018 13.41:20

I've never had an issue with waiting for quality signings but the latest comments from Ricketts are ringing alarm bells. Assuming he has been quoted correctly it sounds like we are no further forward and i don't now expect any signings even next week. I hope I'm wrong.

I just hope the board are watching this closely and are avoiding the control\governance issue we saw with Mills two summer's ago. There is a case for improved communication from the board. I think this highlights the need for a football management advisor on the board. Somebody like Denis Smith or Brian Flynn to support the manager and bridge the gap in experience of our board.

dixienormous 28th June 2018 13.41:24

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2157280]Must admit though Dixie I expected to see something by now and today’s comments by SR are worrying. He needs to say less and do more. Actions speak louder and all that.[/QUOTE]

Maybe next week Phil, maybe.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.20:21.