RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   New 4231 formation (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112163-new-4231-formation.html)

pagl 13th July 2018 05.48:37

New 4231 formation

If this is the new WAFC formation preferred by Sam then how is it shaping up?

Back 4 sorted with cover from Carra, Tharme and potentially Wright.
2 CM holding in Young and Summerfield or Wright and Summerfield.
1 free role with Young or Wright.
3 attacking with Holroyd, Pyke, Deverdics, Rutherford and Leo.
1 target man MFT

Noticeable lack of width unless both FBs are made to push forward.

This formation would be ideal if someone like Rhead was the target man and MFT could play behind him and provide cover.

An out and out winger or creative player needed in the 3 attacking roles to give variety and also a plan B.

Leaves 1 more place for another squad filler or preferably an attacking FB.

Red Light 13th July 2018 05.54:24

Re: New 4231 formation

Expecting 2 if not 3 further signings probably next week - then review as to who goes where - think Ricketts needs to build in an element of versatility dependent on the opposition - the formation might not work in every situation and dependent on who is available, injured and or suspended - to be honest playing one front man at home brasses me off when as the home team we should take the onus and go for the win - the more players in the final third i.e 3 attackers the more chance of goals - perhaps ?

davewilli 13th July 2018 06.14:56

I would prefer to not have a Rhead type striker, much prefer pace and movement up top i.e. a Miller or Quiggley. Pearson & Manny hoof it enough already, but it is vital we have someone who can control and hold the ball which Reid was sadly lacking.

I wouldn't worry too much about 1 up top, it seems the most popular formation and as long as we can push the 3 attacking midfielders right up. Not seen MFT yet but it sounds he has the makings of a very strong front man and time will tell if he can make it stick as well getting himself on the end of things.

Foxy 13th July 2018 06.43:01

It definitely suits some players we have . However , one up top.? That “one” has to occupy both central defenders and has to be some player to do that . There is also a danger that he becomes isolated from the other wider forward players - you could see this at Airbus where Holroyd and Fondop (and Smith and Fondop ) where as far apart as Ant and Dec are at the moment.

moynkeepthefaith 13th July 2018 06.59:59

[QUOTE=Foxy;2162129]It definitely suits some players we have . However , one up top.? That “one” has to occupy both central defenders and has to be some player to do that . There is also a danger that he becomes isolated from the other wider forward players - you could see this at Airbus where Holroyd and Fondop (and Smith and Fondop ) where as far apart as Ant and Dec are at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I believe we must add to the current striking options. I believe Holroyd can play well behind a big target man and his return based on goals per game was decent last season. I also believe his 'unfortunate' injury last season was pivotal.

Foxy 13th July 2018 07.07:23

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2162132]I agree - I believe we must add to the current striking options. I believe Holroyd can play well behind a big target man and his return based on goals per game was decent last season. I also believe his 'unfortunate' injury last season was pivotal.[/QUOTE]

Also requires a lot from the “number 10” behind the lone striker . Again, the 10 has to be a special player. 4231 is very popular now at the highest levels of football where such players exist, but you don’t often see it at the lower levels. I still think a basic 433 or 442 is the more appropriate for where we are and the type of players we are dealing with.

moynkeepthefaith 13th July 2018 07.08:44

[QUOTE=Foxy;2162135]Also requires a lot from the “number 10” behind the lone striker . Again, the 10 has to be a special player. 4231 is very popular now at the highest levels of football where such players exist, but you don’t often see it at the lower levels. I still think a basic 433 or 442 is the more appropriate for where we are and the type of players we are dealing with.[/QUOTE]

I think Holroyd can be that 10 - He is versatile and can score goals. I will always remember the shift he put in against Tranmere away.

Foxy 13th July 2018 07.17:31

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2162136]I think Holroyd can be that 10 - He is versatile and can score goals. I will always remember the shift he put in against Tranmere away.[/QUOTE]

Possibly but at Airbus SR was constantly telling him to move wider left than he was positioning himself , and Deverdics was playing the 10 role - actually looked comfortable in it. As a result Holroyd disappeared from the game; most of the play tended to come down the right (Smith had a good game) - Luke Young tended to look to play it that way.

Haruki 13th July 2018 07.38:12

[QUOTE=pagl;2162122]If this is the new WAFC formation preferred by Sam then how is it shaping up?

Back 4 sorted with cover from Carra, Tharme and potentially Wright.
2 CM holding in Young and Summerfield or Wright and Summerfield.
1 free role with Young or Wright.
3 attacking with Holroyd, Pyke, Deverdics, Rutherford and Leo.
1 target man MFT

Noticeable lack of width unless both FBs are made to push forward.

This formation would be ideal if someone like Rhead was the target man and MFT could play behind him and provide cover.

An out and out winger or creative player needed in the 3 attacking roles to give variety and also a plan B.

Leaves 1 more place for another squad filler or preferably an attacking FB.[/QUOTE]

that is eleven outfield players....maybe we can do ok with that formation!!

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.37:28.