Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th September 2018, 06.19:53   #154-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Kiwi View Post
When we were last Champions the internet wasn't around.

We had the Evening Leader and Wrexham leader and Shropshire star and Daily Post and journos like Dave Lovett and Les Chamberlain and more ...

The fans didn't really have a voice back then. Apart from the letters they wrote in to the papers, which were published depending upon the views of editors like Reg Herbert etc.

The only other way for the fans to express their views about the club was either in the club programme (which was edited by the Club)

#WeAreWrexham #PlayWithNoFear
Sorry Welsh Kiwi but this is nonsense. Fans always had a voice back then , primarily through the Supporters Association who were involved closely with the Club via Fundraising , Programme Production , Catering , etc etc. By the early 80's , with the active co-operation and encouragement of Commercial Manager Reg Slater, we ran the Centre Spot Shop, Away Travel , Junior Reds, 500 Club Draw as well as those areas previously in our care. Reg , meanwhile , was free to concentrate on his main commercial duties including the Club Lottery which brought in a small fortune. You will also be aware of the Centenary Club committee , made up of local businessmen and professionals, which worked tirelessly to raise money and were largely responsible for getting the Yale Stand built.
As for getting views across in the local papers ....I never had a problem! They ...Reg Herbert, Dave Lovett, Les Chamberlain , Ron Chaloner, and now Nick Harrison ...were always receptive to constructive criticism .When I first met my wife she thought my name was Controversial Dave Davies, having seen me described as such in the Leader!!
It appears fashionable these days to pretend the Fans movement at Wrexham started with the formation of WST in 2001 and that previously we only had the dark days. I , like many other Reds , believe in Fans Ownership but also believe we should respect those who have served the Club well in the past. Re-writing history to suit a philosophy is both wrong and dangerous.
Respectfully yours
Dave
Old 12th September 2018, 06.46:31   #155-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: A red seat, not a blue one

Thanks Dave,

And from my perspective I don't think your speaking nonsense

I think you are perhaps slightly missing the point. The digital age brings a very different voice. A voice that someone sitting in Melbourne can hear at the same time as someone in the Centenary club.

Its a powerful thing. Which makes it important to use effectively.

Reg was a great friend. I was also a great friend of his youngest son Jamie. Who was a fab footballer. I remember the look of pride in Reg's face the time Jamie run out onto the Racecourse as a substitute and made his first appearance for the club. I had sat alongside Jamie for 10 years as kids. So it felt quite emotional for me too. And he so nearly scored within two minutes with his first touch.

I certainly don't think the fans movement started with the formation of the WST. That would be a ridiculous suggestion in my eyes. It started the day the first fan watched a match of Wrexham AFC. 150 years ago... So please don't think I am rewriting history. Am really not sure where you have seen that in my posts or why you are insinuating that !

Actually by complete coincidence I have an old photograph on my desk with both you and I in it. Two supporters coaches parked alongside each other. When we played Bristol City away in the FA CUP 4-4 in 1978. A cracker of a game. I am about 9 and you look about 33'ish.

Feel The Force

Forza Wrecsam
Old 12th September 2018, 06.51:30   #156-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Welsh Kiwi - I AM YOUR FATHER.
Old 12th September 2018, 07.04:26   #157-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2181436]Thanks Dave,

And from my perspective I don't think your speaking nonsense

I think you are perhaps slightly missing the point. The digital age brings a very different voice. A voice that someone sitting in Melbourne can hear at the same time as someone in the Centenary club.

Its a powerful thing. Which makes it important to use effectively.

Reg was a great friend. I was also a great friend of his youngest son Jamie. Who was a fab footballer. I remember the look of pride in Reg's face the time Jamie run out onto the Racecourse as a substitute and made his first appearance for the club. I had sat alongside Jamie for 10 years as kids. So it felt quite emotional for me too. And he so nearly scored within two minutes with his first touch.

I certainly don't think the fans movement started with the formation of the WST. That would be a ridiculous suggestion in my eyes. It started the day the first fan watched a match of Wrexham AFC. 150 years ago... So please don't think I am rewriting history. Am really not sure where you have seen that in my posts or why you are insinuating that !

Actually by complete coincidence I have an old photograph on my desk with both you and I in it. Two supporters coaches parked alongside each other. When we played Bristol City away in the FA CUP 4-4 in 1978. A cracker of a game. I am about 9 and you look about 33'ish. QUOTE

Thank you. Agree with your self-evident assertion that the internet makes it easier to communicate. Involvement is somewhat different though, hence the
"keyboard warrior" tag which is given to some on here.
Remember the Bristol City game well. I was 33 at the time!
Old 12th September 2018, 07.30:44   #158-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold road stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Kiwi View Post
When we were last Champions the internet wasn't around.

We had the Evening Leader and Wrexham leader and Shropshire star and Daily Post and journos like Dave Lovett and Les Chamberlain and more ...

The fans didn't really have a voice back then. Apart from the letters they wrote in to the papers, which were published depending upon the views of editors like Reg Herbert etc.

The only other way for the fans to express their views about the club was either in the club programme (which was edited by the club) or on match direct towards the players and management.

All this is part of football. Expressing yourself. Letting the players, manager and board know exactly how you feel. The desire to influence change in the club and to see their voice being heard. An important voice as fans of the club... For some if its been an especially difficult week then its a good chance to release their frustration and vent. Or to sing and dance their way into a happier place.

The internet and Red Passion has changed everything. Changed the landscape of football. The digital screen. The collective voice. Thousands of Wrexham fans all connected around the world. It's a very powerful thing when the energy is all channelled in the same direction.

I have seen collective energy on RP with everyone pulling in the same direction a few times. And its achieved amazing things. The last one I remember well courtesy of my previous digital incarnation El Poncho was the Protect The Racecourse Campaign. Where everyone got on board... apart from Highness Ssom who refused to sign it.

I believe and I appreciate others may not agree... That the difficulties our club has faced in the last 15 years. Brought about by people who had no interest in our club (other than its assets) has created a culture of unbalanced negativity in some quarters. The effect of that darkside period has impacted our club culture. With a fear to believe we can rebuild our great club to its previous glory and remember what real success felt like.

So this thread is here to help anyone who reads Red Passion to see that our club is on the way back... As Champions.

That we have a club owned by the fans.

Champion fans.

Who are a truly great set of champion fans. With thousands of Jedis among us. The old skool variety.

That makes us incredibly unique as a football club.

And we really can make people 'sit up and notice'. Again...

That was the turn of phrase Peter Robinson the old secretary of Liverpool used to describe Wrexham AFC when Liverpool were Champions of Europe in 1978.

Before the match at the Racecourse Peter said to Obi Wan

"Obi I am incredibly jealous of Wrexham Football Club, you a beating people for fun, people you have no right to beat considering your size and position as a third division club, but we have so pressure on our shoulders as European Cup holders."

Feel The Force

Forza Wrecsam

#WeAreWrexham #PlayWithNoFear
Summary
Old 12th September 2018, 07.50:18   #159-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

So, if I tell all I encounter today that Wrexham ARE going up as Champions this season, then it is bound to happen (positive thinking etc)! In an evangelical way, of course. Wont they be looking for a secure unit for me?
The positivity we need is just from the playing squad, surely. If the fans had the powers of Uri Geller, we could sort this out, but we do not. Us voicing our opinions about our club/team (positively or negatively) is NOT going to influence what happens on the pitch in the future.
Kiwi, you are the King of the happy clappers.
Old 12th September 2018, 08.07:47   #160-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Good luck comes and goes like waves on a beach - your precious sand castle may survive the odd one or two but, make no mistake, the sea will have it in the end.

Our team from manager to bench is far superior to last year. We are playing better football and the results are tremendous. I obviously hope this continues till April but to get back to the waves, there are a couple definitely headed our way. A team with proven and in form goal scorers will give us a hiding at some point as we have been very lucky playing mostly against very poor strikers. (Taking nothing away from our goalie who has been excellent) In common with last year we are not scoring enough goals.

Can 'lucky Sam' and his star troopers win the league? We have as good a chance as a few and better than most -COYR
Old 12th September 2018, 12.44:08   #161-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenotaff View Post
People don't understand the thread, or like the content yet keep coming back in to read it. Sense it makes no.
It makes plenty of sense. I’d say most people are more likely to comment on something they disagree with.

Especially pie in the sky hippy nonsense like this thread. I mean come on, time to grasp reality.
Old 12th September 2018, 16.05:25   #162-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Is this nonsense still going?

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.46:08.