Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th September 2018, 11.03:12   #1-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: A red seat, not a blue one
Twitter: @

Default Dave Fogg

We all love Wrexham Football Club.

I fell in love with Wrexham Football Club in 1976. At the Quarter Final of The European Cup Winners Cup match v Anderlecht. Under the Racecourse floodlights....

I was 7 years old and wasn't old enough to go to the away game in Belgium. So I read the report in the newspaper and felt so proud of our team... The report said we had played magnificently and shocked Anderlecht.

When I arrived at the ground for the home match I noticed the programme had changed. It had turned black and all the players faces were on it. We were wearing a brand new adidas strip. I could tell that, even though the photo was black and white.

I wondered who had designed our magnificent new programme. It was probably 20 years later that I discovered it was our goalkeeper Brian Lloyd. A Brian Lloyd design. My dad lived in Gresford for 64 years. His front door had always been black, for 63 years until Brian painted it red, because Brian knew red for Wrexham was running through my dad's veins. My dad was also shocked like Anderlecht were shocked when he came home from work to find his red door had turned red.

At a packed Racecourse when our players ran out onto the pitch they were wearing a bright new red strip by adidas. Back then adidas kitted out all the Kings of Europe. They made Wrexham look like kings too. In an all red strip. Red Shirt. Red Shorts. Red Socks. A tiny trefoil adidas logo and a huge giant club crest badge on the chest.

Arfon was our general in Midfield. Dictating play like an orchestra conductor.

Eddie May our colossus at the back. Eddie looked like steam train in that strip.

Anderlecht at home was the game when I realised King Billy Ashcroft really was magnificent. He had been my football hero ever since I first saw him play v Southend and head a ball and goalkeeper into the back of the net. One header seemed like it was 30 yards out to my little brain. It was probably only 20 yards.

After our home game Anderlecht tried to sign Billy. They had two world cup winning dutch players in their side, which shows how good they were. It also shows how good Billy was. How good Anderlecht thought he was. Our board turned down the offer, because they felt Billy was too important to Wrexham Football Club. I am going to give Billy that letter soon. It is safe in Wales.

The one player I had forgotten was perhaps someone not always in the limelight. Perhaps one of those unsung heroes types. The players who consistently put a shift in for the team, but who may not always get the adulation that they deserve. Perhaps that might be a fair representation of Dave Fogg. I seem to remember foggy playing left back, but I could be wrong...

So it suddenly felt wholly appropriate to discover the man in Madrid trying to flog the a Wrexham shirt from that match has Dave Fogg's Number 3 Shirt, that he wore in that memorable game...

I was told by a fellow fan this gentleman was looking for €800 Euros for the shirt. I wondered why he valued the shirt so highly?, what Wrexham football club meant to him, that he would put such a high value on it? I can understand many Wrexham fans would consider it priceless. But I don't get the impression he supports Wrexham. His young family seem to all have Real Madrid shirts on. Who are a great club, but not as great as Wrexham.

The fact that it is locked away in the shade in Madrid, dosen't feel right to me. It should be in the sunshine at the Racecourse for our young kids to see and touch it and understand how great we were and how great we can be again in the future...

A bit of sunshine to lift the Fog, with a collective bomb of love for Dave Fogg.

I have just checked and Dave Fogg made 161 appearances for Wrexham and is now 67 years old.

Spirit of 78 made me realise that maybe the best way to do this, is via crowdfunding to let the gentlemen who is selling it, understand how important the shirt is to the club and to the fans.

When I got in touch with this gentleman lat night he told me the shirt was no longer for sale, that it had been put in a collection. I felt instantly gutted. He then said if we wanted it so much he would speak to his partners to see if they would be willing to sell it. That we would need to make him the best proposition to do that. I didn't really understand that negotiation technique. It seemed to be changing by the minute. Normally it is the seller who sets a price not the buyer. So I have left it with him to confirm the price...

In the meantime I am trying to figure out how to crowdfund and bring it home, to the racecourse to its rightful home.

So if you are as passionate about seeing this shirt come home as I am and as a simple symbolic gesture....

Please put your username and your commitment to donate £1 to crowdfunding on this thread, thats if you would like to see it returned to the Racecourse.

We can then hopefully acquire it, for the young generation of fans of our clubs future.

If anyone is a technical whizz please could they put the photograph of the shirt (front and back view) onto this thread so everyone can see it.. Diolch... Yn Fawr...

If anyone is handy with (has experience of) crowdfunding website please send me a PM and then we can hopefully get it set up..

#£1ForFoggy

Old 29th September 2018, 11.13:06   #2-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Default Re: Dave Fogg

Crowdfunding websites would normally take a fee from donations (in my experience anyway).

I'd be happy to ask our committee if we could be a vehicle at the DSA to collect and pay over the funds if you wish.

Good luck, it would be great to have it back at the racecourse and on display!
Old 29th September 2018, 14.57:39   #3-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

£20 from me.

Bring it home.
Old 30th September 2018, 11.00:51   #4-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Don't mean to divert from thread but is this authentic:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WREXHAM-F...oAAOSw3Z9aq64M

This could be your next target if so. wafc1926 could probably confirm if it is the real deal or not!!
Old 30th September 2018, 11.39:24   #5-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Don't mean to divert from thread but is this authentic:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WREXHAM-F...oAAOSw3Z9aq64M

This could be your next target if so. wafc1926 could probably confirm if it is the real deal or not!!
It certainly looks genuine to me. I can confirm that W.Miller of Birmingham produced Wrexham FC Supporters badges for us over the years.
Old 30th September 2018, 11.41:43   #6-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafc1926 View Post
It certainly looks genuine to me. I can confirm that W.Miller of Birmingham produced Wrexham FC Supporters badges for us over the years.
Thanks, I think it would be good to get a Wrexham FC Musuem going in the ground, even if it's small to start with and try to incorporate it with maybe a stadium tour maybe monetize it in future. Everyone always talks about our past on here but nowhere really displays it for real.
Old 30th September 2018, 11.53:41   #7-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

The valuation is ridiculous in my opinion. Looking at Ebay for instance you can buy a signed shirt of Paulo Maldini for around £150.

Madness to go anywhere near 800 Euros. Think the seller is taking the ....

Surprised noone else has commented on the price.
Old 30th September 2018, 13.48:54   #8-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Thanks, I think it would be good to get a Wrexham FC Musuem going in the ground, even if it's small to start with and try to incorporate it with maybe a stadium tour maybe monetize it in future. Everyone always talks about our past on here but nowhere really displays it for real.
I have a letter dated 1948 from the then manager inviting my dad to train with Wrexham. Willing to donate if it's any use.
Old 30th September 2018, 14.01:26   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosymedre Red View Post
I have a letter dated 1948 from the then manager inviting my dad to train with Wrexham. Willing to donate if it's any use.
That's very generous of you, but it's just an idea from me and it's something the club would have to decide and execute if they wanted to take it forward.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.25:15.