Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th October 2018, 21.14:22   #19-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Started in MR then The Boys pen and a graduate of The Kop
Twitter: @

Default Re: Kevin Keelan

Great keeper of which we've had a few, came to Wrexham from Kiddy not long after another of my favourite keepers Rolando Ugolini left the town.
Old 29th October 2018, 21.24:54   #20-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Keelan was born in British India where his father was serving in the Army.

After beginning his career with Kidderminster Harriers, he had spells with Aston Villa, Stockport County, Kidderminster Harriers again and Wrexham before signing for Norwich City in the summer of 1963. Between then and 1980 he would make 673 first-team appearances for City, a club record.

He was twice City Player of the Year and played for the City side which lost the 1973 League Cup Final to Tottenham Hotspur.

In both 1978 and 1979, Norwich City sent Keelan on loan to the New England Tea Men of the North American Soccer League for the summer season. He was named in the 1978 NASL All-Star Team.[1]

Coaching career[edit]

While playing for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 1981, Keelan also served as an assistant manager, a position he retained in 1982. In July 1982, he also served as the interim manager when Gordon Jago resigned.[2] In June 1991, the University of Tampa hired Keelan as the goalkeeper coach for the men's soccer team.[3] In February 1997, he replaced Peter Mellor as the goalkeeper coach for the Tampa Bay Mutiny of Major League Soccer.[4]

In an interview for the Norwich City matchday programme on 30 April 2006, Keelan confirmed that he runs goalkeeping schools in Cape Coral and Tampa Florida and coaches "pretty much every night". He also stated that for 20 years he has worked for a company that manufactures contact lenses and distributes them all over the world, but plans to retire at the end of 2006 to concentrate on his coaching. He is also a staff coach with the Florida Soccer Club
Old 29th October 2018, 21.27:09   #21-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
Keelan known as 'The Cat' probably the best keeper to wear the green of Wrexham.
I believe he was spotted by Norwich when we played them in the cup.
I thought they called him that because he shat in the corner . . . ..
Old 29th October 2018, 21.43:44   #22-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Thanks - yes that's him - see that he never played for Wrexham but there is some video cover of a game he played in at Wrexham between Wales & Ireland in 1906 but the coverage seems to concentrate on the Welsh attacking the Irish goal.

Found this explanation about him though. There was also a book about him released which I seem to recall had a thread of it's own sometime ago.

https://youtu.be/6AKXqVMJO-o

Excellent piece......though don't think Gallypolly is correct pronounceation
Old 29th October 2018, 22.05:32   #23-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot:

Long before my time. Marriot and Ben Foster are the best I've seen in my Wrexham FC life.
Old 29th October 2018, 22.39:16   #24-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Marriott was the best I’ve seen in the past 30 years or so. It was good business by Flynn, a hell of a lot of money to shell out for him but it was an investment. We got years out of him and sold for a profit. I’m sure he cost us £200k, unthinkable now really.
Old 30th October 2018, 06.55:51   #25-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

I know he only played more or less half a season for us but Mike Hooper never seems to get a mention when talking about good keepers for us, I always thought he was one of the best I've seen here.
Old 30th October 2018, 08.06:40   #26-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

This thread highlights how many excellent keepers we have been fortunate to have on our books.
Who is the best? I could make out a case for easily a half dozen mentioned but as a teenager watching Kevin Keelan I was wide open to 'hero worship' and he fitted the bill and more.
A true Wrexham Great, he was also in the team that beat Hartlepools 10:1 although I don't recall him doing much except trying to keep warm.
Old 30th October 2018, 08.26:12   #27-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: anywhere

I think Kev Keelan was in goal when Arfon made his comeback as well. Great crowd that day. It was a real occasion for a young lad stood on the Kop in the corner where the steps were bigger! Keelan was very athletic and had a great career in football. We have had some wonderful keepers. Dai Davies, Dave Gaskell, Dibble was also very commanding. Ben Foster has to be up there as well. What a career he has had.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.26:45.