RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   January and the three weaknesses (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112782-january-three-weaknesses.html)

Congy Red 31st October 2018 12.29:00

January and the three weaknesses

We are superbly placed and the squad seems to have the strength to cope with any of our better players being injured or being out of form. I think there are three obvious weaknesses in the side. I think with the removal of ANY of these three weaknesses we can achieve a top three finish. As I see them the major weaknesses are:

1. A top quality defensive midfielder. Walker and Wright do not provide a stable platform for attacks and aren't careful enough with the ball. This new player could produce more chances and close out games better.

2. Someone better on the right. JMD has ability, Rutherford works hard, Pyke is developing, but in a three we need a goalscorer and provider.

3. Someone better than Fondop/Beavon up top. I think Fondop is a talent who will come good over time, but with mega bucks perhaps we can get better.

Its a bit tough on anyone replaced by Ricketts as we are doing so well, but we currently look a competitive team, not a dominant one. I don't think we need to solve all three weaknesses, one would be good.

dixienormous 31st October 2018 12.30:27

Re: January and the three weaknesses

I struggle to see how Fondop is a talent.

Iesty 31st October 2018 12.35:32

Of the loan players we have, only Burgess and Walkers loans are up in January (as far as i can remember)

As Walker is playing a bit more then i imagine we will try and extend his loan til end of the season. Burgess will probably return.

Leo Smith will be back from Llandudno, and what appears to be a relatively successful loan spell, maybe he can be put into the front 3?

definitely another striker needed though, especially with the 2 season long loaners Pyke and Hinds not doing much. hopefully some FA Cup money will go towards that

moynkeepthefaith 31st October 2018 12.37:33

[QUOTE=Congy Red;2190828]We are superbly placed and the squad seems to have the strength to cope with any of our better players being injured or being out of form. I think there are three obvious weaknesses in the side. I think with the removal of ANY of these three weaknesses we can achieve a top three finish. As I see them the major weaknesses are:

1. A top quality defensive midfielder. Walker and Wright do not provide a stable platform for attacks and aren't careful enough with the ball. This new player could produce more chances and close out games better.

2. Someone better on the right. JMD has ability, Rutherford works hard, Pyke is developing, but in a three we need a goalscorer and provider.

3. Someone better than Fondop/Beavon up top. I think Fondop is a talent who will come good over time, but with mega bucks perhaps we can get better.

Its a bit tough on anyone replaced by Ricketts as we are doing so well, but we currently look a competitive team, not a dominant one. I don't think we need to solve all three weaknesses, one would be good.[/QUOTE]

I will be delighted to find someone better than Beavon who has ,for me, been a success. On last nights showing anything is better than Fondop.

shimosays 31st October 2018 12.43:16

We need a new centre forward. I think we’re good enough elsewhere when everyone is fit. Adding three or four new players could disrupt things too much (as happened last year with Franks, Deverdics and that fat striker from Harrogate).
Walker is good enough if played with Summerfield and Young. Walker and Wright together doesn’t work.
Pyke/JMD/Hinds(?)Beavon are good enough on the wings.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Rhys's Daddy 31st October 2018 12.45:57

I think we only need 2

1 defensive midfield to protect the defence and win ugly in the centre in park
1 creative midfield who can put the foot on the ball, look up and play a perfect pass - not had this since Darren Fergerson

Prodigal Dragon 31st October 2018 12.48:35

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2190831]I will be delighted to find someone better than Beavon who has ,for me, been a success. On last nights showing anything is better than Fondop.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Beavon is an asset not a liability. Fondop may come good with time, but he is not good enough to start - he is more a battering ram than a foil

Personally, I think we need all of the following:

1. A proven CF who can score goals.

2. A midfield general who can play football - to be supported by Summerfield and Young.

3. A winger to add width and pace.

4. A LB to shore up the defence.

We are in a very good position, but we need to add quality if we are to make the most of this great opportunity to get back into the FL. The cash is there - especially if we progress in the FA Cup. No time for sentimentality; we need to be more ruthless.

redone 31st October 2018 13.02:29

Fondop has lost his way, his only asset is his size, he cannot do the basics as a CF, never mind score , he is 24, not 17,he couldnt lead a dog, never mind lead the forward line, crying out for an orthodox CF to hold it up and bring midfield into to play..someone like a Scott Rendell

rob_1072 31st October 2018 13.07:07

Our biggest weakness is our mentality of defending deep as soon as we are ahead. Having said that id love a striker in jan.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.32:07.