RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Wrexham FC and World War One (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112823-wrexham-fc-world-war-one.html)

Inside Left 9th November 2018 14.36:57

Wrexham FC and World War One

on reading a copy of the club AGM for 1914 it was quite moving to note part of the directors report.

"The directors further announced that among the players who had joined the colours were : Arthur Berry, the international amateur and Oxford Blue. Tenner, Goode, Llew Morris, S Hughes and the trainer Mitchell - besides a host of the clubs supporters.

A resolution of sympathy was passed with the President of the club Mr F W Soames in the loss he had sustained of his son Captain A H Soames Royal Flying Corps.

The meeting also referred to the suspension of The Birmingham League -' There would be no serious football town next season'. 'A few friendly matches might be arranged but nothing definite could be said at present'

No doubt over the years other members of the clubs staff would have signed up or been conscripted but I do not know of any on record. As to the ones who went to war - One can only guess how many returned alive.

Perhaps others on here will know more detail.

1914 - 1918 remembered.

WasanActonlad 10th November 2018 10.46:01

Re: Wrexham FC and World War One

Sadly the book on the index of players to have played for Wrexham is only from 1921.

This is going to be difficult, especially as unfortunately we are playing tomorrow and not today.

Would it not be a nice gesture if no other threads superceded this one tomorrow, or at least between 11.00 and 12.oo noon.

Though there appears to be no record of people connected with the club who fell in the Great War the club certainly would have lost supporters and the town and out lying villages numerous footballers.

Inside Left 11th November 2018 08.35:58

I thought it appropriate this morning, of all mornings, to re post

Inside Left 11th November 2018 18.15:32

Did anyone get a chance to see the sand face 'etching' on the Weston beach commenting those who fell and didn't return from the 1st Word War.

GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo 11th November 2018 19.03:57

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2193164]Did anyone get a chance to see the sand face 'etching' on the Weston beach commenting those who fell and didn't return from the 1st Word War.[/QUOTE]

It looked well worth a detour

[url]https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/danny-boyle-organised-very-special-2208744[/url]

Old Paddock Man 11th November 2018 20.35:56

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2193164]Did anyone get a chance to see the sand face 'etching' on the Weston beach commenting those who fell and didn't return from the 1st Word War.[/QUOTE]

Saw it being started. Marvellous. But sadly only properly visible during the game I think so didn’t see the finished version.

whitegatered 12th November 2018 06.31:15

Most disappointed that our media team did a live podcast from the ground yesterday during
the 2 minute silence.

Bustas Nads 12th November 2018 07.58:44

[QUOTE=whitegatered;2193222]Most disappointed that our media team did a live podcast from the ground yesterday during
the 2 minute silence.[/QUOTE]

Disapointing yes.

However it was two young lads so perhaps just a mistake and not realising? It was deleted quickly so i'm sure this was just a mistake. Doubt very much it was meant to be disrespectfull. We arrived at the ground early for a look around and WSM had the music blasting an PA announcer practicising all the way through 11:00-11:02, perhaps no one looked at the time?

In fairness to WSM the tribute prior to kick off was top notch and impecably observed by everyone inside the ground.

Unfortunate & regrettable mistake I'm sure.....but a mistake and nothing else by the looks with it being removed.

whitegatered 12th November 2018 08.23:17

[QUOTE=Bustas Nads;2193235]Disapointing yes.

However it was two young lads so perhaps just a mistake and not realising? It was deleted quickly so i'm sure this was just a mistake. Doubt very much it was meant to be disrespectfull. We arrived at the ground early for a look around and WSM had the music blasting an PA announcer practicising all the way through 11:00-11:02, perhaps no one looked at the time?

In fairness to WSM the tribute prior to kick off was top notch and impecably observed by everyone inside the ground.

Unfortunate & regrettable mistake I'm sure.....but a mistake and nothing else by the looks with it being removed.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree it was a mistake I have enormous respect on the great work our media team do, Iam sure lessons have been learnt.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.06:26.