RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Goal Kicks (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112909-goal-kicks.html)

Roly Ugolini 26th November 2018 10.50:11

Goal Kicks

I have been thinking for a while about what happens when teams take goal kicks.
Why do most teams employ the tactic of all outfield players from both sides
congregating on the opposite corner side of the pitch from where kick is taken.
To me it would make sense to keep someone well away from the group so that
a breakaway could start if they won the ball.
It’s not a critiscism of us in particular.

sionwxm 26th November 2018 10.57:59

Re: Goal Kicks

Most of our goal kicks our players move upfield before one of the full backs make themselves available for a short pass from Lainton to start our attacks. I noticed it worked pretty well on Saturday.

John Neals Dynasty 26th November 2018 11.38:36

[QUOTE=Roly Ugolini;2197253]I have been thinking for a while about what happens when teams take goal kicks.
Why do most teams employ the tactic of all outfield players from both sides
congregating on the opposite corner side of the pitch from where kick is taken.
To me it would make sense to keep someone well away from the group so that
a breakaway could start if they won the ball.
It’s not a critiscism of us in particular.[/QUOTE]

I've been saying this for awhile Roly it's school boy football if we actually had someone with pace on the wing I would tell him to go onto the opposite side it would spread the opposition defence out to. I've never understood all grouping together on one side the keeper hoofing it if not out of play but to big 6ft 3 + opposition defenders because our tiny strikers ain't going to get their heads to it.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

tokyored 26th November 2018 11.45:38

When it's been asked before the answer has been that when you take a goal kick you are in more of a defensive rather than an attacking position so you don't want your players stretched all over the pitch.
I agree though if you did have 1 very fast player it could be a tactic to leave him one on one on the other flank. However, we don't have anyone with massive pace.

Ooh aah Paskin 26th November 2018 14.04:31

We actually did the unexpected once on Saturday. In the first half everyone moved over to the left side when Lainton prepared to take the kick.
Then Roberts peeled off by himself, leaving his marker a few paces behind and Lainton got the ball to him starting a decent run down the flank.
We should do that more often to cause a few surprises. But maybe someone other than Roberts!

pagl 26th November 2018 15.17:00

Don't understand it - is this a common KO move in the lower leagues.

I class it as a 'baby tactic' and surely it would be better having players in their positions and then kicking towards a known target.

Its a bit like not leaving 1 player up at corners :)

dagg 26th November 2018 15.20:10

[QUOTE=Ooh aah Paskin;2197320]We actually did the unexpected once on Saturday. In the first half everyone moved over to the left side when Lainton prepared to take the kick.
Then Roberts peeled off by himself, leaving his marker a few paces behind and Lainton got the ball to him starting a decent run down the flank.
We should do that more often to cause a few surprises. But maybe someone other than Roberts![/QUOTE]

I noticed that move, thought he had miskicked at first.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 03.59:49.