Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st December 2018, 21.42:41   #55-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Club statement - "not appropriate" for Ricketts to be at game tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkenny Red View Post
Take passion out of it for a moment and look at it calmly. Imagine whatever line of work you're in, somebody comes along six months after you've started a new job and offers you a significantly more prestigious job (in terms of level, I don't think Shrewsbury are any more prestigious as a club than Wrexham are, actually I'd say the opposite going off history, but they are currently at a significantly superior level), far better tools to work with, more money to play around with and an enhanced wage. If you can honestly say you'd stay, fair play to you but I doubt too many people would.

Football fans expect a loyalty from what are in effect staff at their club that they wouldn't expect from anybody else in any other line of work. To Sam Ricketts, Wrexham is a job no different from yours or mine.

The decision to play arguably the most significant game of the club's season without a manager was f**king idiocy and as another poster said makes us look amateur as f**k.
You make it sound like we've asked the lads to find their kit, fill the water bottles and pick where they want to play! In Barrow we had a man with considerably more experience than SR who was also an integral part of SR's team ready to fill the gap for tonight.

The decision by the board was the correct one and there's no way back at this club for SR if it all goes pear shaped.
Old 1st December 2018, 21.42:55   #56-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: ERS

Default Re: Club statement - "not appropriate" for Ricketts to be at game tonight

Quote:
It is a standard employer/employee relationship though. Only your blinkeredness stops you from seeing it how it is.

Does Sam Ricketts have a family? I don't know for sure but I imagine so and he's young enough that he still probably has kids living at home.

Where does he earn money to provide for that family? At work, which happens to be a football club.

It's absolute shit talk to say there is anything different between his situation and yours or mine. I love the way football fans expect human beings who happen to be involved in football to behave any differently than they would. It's so hypocritical it's funny.
We’ll need to agree to disagree- you clearly fail to understand that some jobs carry a greater weight of responsibility and require a certain level of behaviour.
Old 1st December 2018, 21.42:56   #57-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
It looks like the club and the board have acted right & proper, we wouldn't want someone in charge of Wxm tonight, who has indicated he wants to leave subject the Shrews agreeing his terms tomorrow.

Had the board not acted, how many would have come on here saying Ricketts & the Shrews are walking all over us and taking the mickey.
He hasn't said that though.

A match which could potentially unlock a fortune for a club at this level which could have a huge effect on our future and the board decides to go ahead without arguably its most important staff member .

It's absolutely ludicrous that ye think Sam should act in any way differently to how every single one of ye would act in the same situation and attack him for doing what ye'd do.[/QUOTE]

If an employee came to me and said "I'm off to a competitor boss, just letting you know.I'll make the coffee shall I ?"

My response would be something along the lines of " Don't bother sitting down son, you're not staying" before marching him off the site.

What planet are you from again ?
Old 1st December 2018, 21.43:51   #58-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I'm not sure we all expect loyalty, and those that do are being naive. Integrity on the other hand....
Okay, agreed
Old 1st December 2018, 21.44:16   #59-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:

A match which could potentially unlock a fortune for a club at this level which could have a huge effect on our future and the board decides to go ahead without arguably its most important staff member .

It's absolutely ludicrous that ye think Sam should act in any way differently to how every single one of ye would act in the same situation and attack him for doing what ye'd do.
I think it's possible to think Sam is acting like others would in the same situation, while also thinking the board were correct in removing the distraction,. Itd not like they pulled someone off the street, they replaced him with someone with far more management experience!
Old 1st December 2018, 21.44:48   #60-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtalk View Post
Actually an employee jumping ship 7 months into a job, (albeit a better paid one) where considerable time and investment has been made on the selection process would pee off most employers in most industries
No doubt it would, but if the new job is a much better one than the one he is currently in he'd be a clown to not take it. Do you think the company would waste thinking time on letting him go if they thought it was advantageous for them?

Employers don't give a toss about the welfare of their employees beyond what is legally required and football clubs are no different. Football fans do, but if a manager became available who was much better than Sam Ricketts and who wanted to come to Wrexham the board wouldn't waste any time in making the change if it could afford it.

As I said, I don't like what Sam has done but unfortunately he has to live in the real world.
Old 1st December 2018, 21.46:10   #61-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
It looks like the club and the board have acted right & proper, we wouldn't want someone in charge of Wxm tonight, who has indicated he wants to leave subject the Shrews agreeing his terms tomorrow.

Had the board not acted, how many would have come on here saying Ricketts & the Shrews are walking all over us and taking the mickey.
He hasn't said that though.

He may not have said the words publicly, but he has indicated he wants the job, otherwise the Shrews would not have made the approach. He may have wanted to take charge tonight and part on good terms but the word is out he will be employed by the Shrews for their next match.
Old 1st December 2018, 21.46:16   #62-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
I never once said people aren't entitled to their opinions. It is a fact though that a loyalty which is not expected of other people in other walks of life is expected of staff at football clubs.

I don't like what Sam Ricketts has done but on the other hand, what was he realistically expected to do? Say no to a much better job? Say he's leaving before the new job is signed off on? What if the job fell through? He's not Mourinho who can afford not to work for the rest of his life.
No, if this has kicked off since Thursday evening ( the Slops showing an interest in him) the sensible thing to do was tell them that he didn't want to do anything until Sunday or Monday due to the game tonight. He could in all honesty then turn around and say, yes, they've asked but I told them I wanted to concentrate on the game tonight.
Old 1st December 2018, 21.46:23   #63-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_holt_dragon View Post
I think it's possible to think Sam is acting like others would in the same situation, while also thinking the board were correct in removing the distraction,. Itd not like they pulled someone off the street, they replaced him with someone with far more management experience!
Agree with this. KR, what do you think the atmosphere would have been like tonight if he’d been in charge?
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.55:17.